does Florida get screwed?

Cementups

Box Monkey
I was told we are running 55 routes in our center and we are getting paid double time. I will more than likely be forced to work, so be it.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I agree that the Southern is worded a little different and the holiday may count as a "report."

Central Region

Article 12

Section 9-Full-Time and Part-time Employees

All work performed on the employee’s sixth (6th) day shall be paid at time and one-half (1 1/2). All work performed on the employee’s seventh (7th) day worked shall be paid at double time.

The holiday is not a work day, but bug had a good point about being scheduled for 5 consecutive days. If UPS changes your schedule to Sun-Thur, then Friday would be your "scheduled" 6th day and would be time and a half.

It is not because the holiday is considered a "work" day. It is a scheduled off with holiday pay.

Now look at the section. It says double time for the 7th day "worked." You did not work on Thursday, the holiday.

Even if it is your 7th scheduled day, any week with a holiday in it will only allow you to work 6 days.

UPS is offering some areas double time for Sunday because they cannot force you to work on Sunday. They need volunteers. Double time should get them plenty of volunteers.

browner89

I agree that the Southern is worded a little different and the holiday may count as a "report."

Central Region

Article 12

Section 9-Full-Time and Part-time Employees

All work performed on the employee’s sixth (6th) day shall be paid at time and one-half (1 1/2). All work performed on the employee’s seventh (7th) day worked shall be paid at double time.

The holiday is not a work day, but bug had a good point about being scheduled for 5 consecutive days. If UPS changes your schedule to Sun-Thur, then Friday would be your "scheduled" 6th day and would be time and a half.

It is not because the holiday is considered a "work" day. It is a scheduled off with holiday pay.

Now look at the section. It says double time for the 7th day "worked." You did not work on Thursday, the holiday.

Even if it is your 7th scheduled day, any week with a holiday in it will only allow you to work 6 days.

UPS is offering some areas double time for Sunday because they cannot force you to work on Sunday. They need volunteers. Double time should get them plenty of volunteers.

Sunday is mandatory for us, it is double time though. 3 straight so far. It all depends on your supplement, you can't tell someone in a different supplement than you how the rules work because some are drastically different.

In mine we can be, and are, forced to work Sundays, but it is also double pay, we also don't have the 6th punch rule. On weeks I work Sunday I still only get the regular rate for Friday.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Sunday is mandatory for us, it is double time though. 3 straight so far. It all depends on your supplement, you can't tell someone in a different supplement than you how the rules work because some are drastically different.

In mine we can be, and are, forced to work Sundays, but it is also double pay, we also don't have the 6th punch rule. On weeks I work Sunday I still only get the regular rate for Friday.
Yes sir. As you can see I quoted the Central and agreed that the Southern is worded different. The poster said he was in the Southern.

If you are not sure, the first place to check is your supplement.

For instance, in the Central, UPS cannot force you to work on Sunday. The scheduled work week is Mon-Fri or Tue-Sat. If they want a change to Sun-Thur, they have to rebid everything. This cannot be done in 3 days.

But other supplements can make you work Sunday as you quoted. If in doubt, check your supplement.

browner89

Yes sir. As you can see I quoted the Central and agreed that the Southern is worded different. The poster said he was in the Southern.

If you are not sure, the first place to check is your supplement.

For instance, in the Central, UPS cannot force you to work on Sunday. The scheduled work week is Mon-Fri or Tue-Sat. If they want a change to Sun-Thur, they have to rebid everything. This cannot be done in 3 days.

But other supplements can make you work Sunday as you quoted. If in doubt, check your supplement.

Agreed, I may have misread something whe I originally quoted you, but bottom line is to check your supplement, simply asking for information on a forum that covers the entire nation and every supplement available is not enough. Every region has difference, some major, some not so much, but its enough to warrant learning your own contracts specific wording.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Agreed, I may have misread something whe I originally quoted you, but bottom line is to check your supplement, simply asking for information on a forum that covers the entire nation and every supplement available is not enough. Every region has difference, some major, some not so much, but its enough to warrant learning your own contracts specific wording.
If someone tells me where they are at, I will try and help them out. Some are just too lazy to look it up. Sometimes the language is too ambiguous to understand.

I deal in the Central and know it very well but also have read every supplement. Some I know better than others.

If I'm not sure, I will be more than glad to look it up.

Some people may not have contract books, but that is no excuse. It is available online from the Teamsters.

Bottom line, everyone should have their supplement and the master and refer to it for any questions. If the wording is ambiguous and difficult to understand, then ask away.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
PCM yesterday lightly covered working Sunday. We were told that it will be a force from the bottom and that......get ready for this one....
REGULAR PAY because its the first day of the week!!!!

Guess I am not available to work!!!!
Probably cause the dot hours won't be a problem with Thursday off. But come on , how many want to work Sunday, I probably would cause I like to do nothing on Saturday .That's my free day.

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
Doesn't matter. I haven't worked on a weekend in 27 peak seasons, I'm not gonna start now. Gonna spend the day tailgating and enjoying an NFL game with the family. Y'all have fun....at work....on a Sunday! LOL

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
Doesn't matter. I haven't worked on a weekend in 27 peak seasons, I'm not gonna start now. Gonna spend the day tailgating and enjoying an NFL game with the family. Y'all have fun....at work....on a Sunday! LOL
I signed your name to the list of poor souls to slave for our corporate ah. I'm sorry, you might make the end of third quarter. Say hello to your family and tell them to save you a burger and beer.

UPSmechanicinblue

I think this is why when we have a holiday like the 4th falls on a Sunday we get Monday Off? This is how they prevent paying double time Friday? This has happened in the past in the central region 2010.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I think this is why when we have a holiday like the 4th falls on a Sunday we get Monday Off? This is how they prevent paying double time Friday? This has happened in the past in the central region 2010.
We get Monday off because 99% of the businesses take Monday off for the holiday. UPS would just be delivering residential, no business open and no pick ups. This ain't gonna happen.

How is this avoiding double time on Friday? Even if you did work Monday, the holiday does not count as a punch in the Central. There are other supplements where it may, but not in the Central.

Your 6th punch is only time and a half, not double time, but again, the holiday on Sunday does not count as a punch. You would get your normal 5 days, your normal overtime and the holiday pay for Sunday if you worked on Monday.