Does Part Time Ever Become Part Time?

WorkhorseSC

I started a little over a week ago as a PT package handler for the preload. I was hired for T-S and told by HR to expect to finish at 8:30 each day.

My first day, I met the dispatch manager and 2 PT sups and within 10 minutes they had walked me to where I'd be---loading three package cars alone. Zero training, no one watching to make sure I was doing things correctly, nothing.

I'm now on day 9 and have yet to get any sort of training. I've solicited feedback from my loading from the drivers I've met.

Here's my dilemma...on my first day I was told we are working mandatory 6 day weeks. In my first week I clocked 39.7 hours.

I have another fulltime job that supplies benefits and is my primary income to care for my family of 6. It is a 40hr commitment as well and pays 70k. I was late to this job three times this week because we didn't finish preload until 9:30a despite start times of 1:15a, 1:30a, and 1:45a for three days straight. Can I ever expect it to be like HR described it? 18-20 hrs a week...average starts at 3:30a and ends at 8:30a? Or was I sold a bill of goods that doesn't exist?

Working 80hr weeks was not what I was looking for...I am having no problem with the work itself...I actually have enjoyed it because my FT job us sedentary...but I can't let a part time gig interfere with my career. My main goals wasn't the money as much as the physical activity and eventual benefits (I pay $980/month for medical/dental/vision for my family at my job). I have 4 kids under 5 and this not seeing them but an hour or two a day is the hardest part.

Not sure it is sustainable for my to sleep 4 hours then do an 8hr preload shift and an 8hr shift at my other job...day after day...with no end in sight. I would hate to resign, but I may not have much choice...

LeaveIt2Griever

FileFileFile
was I sold a bill of goods that doesn't exist?

Yes. HR lied to you about the work schedule just to get you in the door. You’re guaranteed 3.5 hours per day, but don’t count on ever being able to punch out at a certain time.

They’re pushing your start time earlier because we’re dealing with ridiculous amounts of volume. There’s currently no end in sight, you will be working long hours every Nov./Dec. regardless if there’s a pandemic or not, so if that’s not something you’re ready for then you should just cut your losses.

trickpony1

Has anyone ever told their supe:
- I didn't sign up for fulltime employment or;
- the advertisement I responded to said 3.5 hours....not eight or
- "part time" is defined as "not full time".

How would this go over?

rod

Retired 22 years
Has anyone ever told their supe:
- I didn't sign up for fulltime employment or;
- the advertisement I responded to said 3.5 hours....not eight or
- "part time" is defined as "not full time".

How would this go over?
Probably would be hit with the classic management line--"well McDonalds is hiring".

ZeroHandicapper

Olympic Preload Gold Medalist
You hired in at a very busy time, peak started in November and has not stopped. Wait until the 2nd round of stimulus checks hit. You will get to load more :censored2: that people do not need. No end in sight at our center, either. As a business owner, this has been ok for me since my business has slowed.

Poop Head

Judge me.
I started a little over a week ago as a PT package handler for the preload. I was hired for T-S and told by HR to expect to finish at 8:30 each day.

My first day, I met the dispatch manager and 2 PT sups and within 10 minutes they had walked me to where I'd be---loading three package cars alone. Zero training, no one watching to make sure I was doing things correctly, nothing.

I'm now on day 9 and have yet to get any sort of training. I've solicited feedback from my loading from the drivers I've met.

Here's my dilemma...on my first day I was told we are working mandatory 6 day weeks. In my first week I clocked 39.7 hours.

I have another fulltime job that supplies benefits and is my primary income to care for my family of 6. It is a 40hr commitment as well and pays 70k. I was late to this job three times this week because we didn't finish preload until 9:30a despite start times of 1:15a, 1:30a, and 1:45a for three days straight. Can I ever expect it to be like HR described it? 18-20 hrs a week...average starts at 3:30a and ends at 8:30a? Or was I sold a bill of goods that doesn't exist?

Working 80hr weeks was not what I was looking for...I am having no problem with the work itself...I actually have enjoyed it because my FT job us sedentary...but I can't let a part time gig interfere with my career. My main goals wasn't the money as much as the physical activity and eventual benefits (I pay $980/month for medical/dental/vision for my family at my job). I have 4 kids under 5 and this not seeing them but an hour or two a day is the hardest part.

Not sure it is sustainable for my to sleep 4 hours then do an 8hr preload shift and an 8hr shift at my other job...day after day...with no end in sight. I would hate to resign, but I may not have much choice...
Just show up for 3.5 hours a day when it works for you.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
If you really want to stay I would talk to your full time supervisor. They are really scraping the bottom of the barrel and New hires are getting away with murder. Just ask to leave early. Worst they say is no.

reginald95

Just do like the part-timers at my building do it. They just tell their sup that they have to go because they have school, or another job they have to get to and start walking to the computer to punch out. They can't really stop you.