Does seem like a pretty good argument

*****cleared*****

Specifically the paragraph regarding couriers not being able to obtain prescriptions for all the pills that we deliver because that's absurd.

Also the fact that couriers are delivering the packages in the ordinary course of business which is allowed under the controlled substance act.

TUT

When are they going after the biggest culprit, USPS? UPS and Fedex cost too much in general for shipping drugs. Everyone is out to save.

dezguy

Specifically the paragraph regarding couriers not being able to obtain prescriptions for all the pills that we deliver because that's absurd.

Also the fact that couriers are delivering the packages in the ordinary course of business which is allowed under the controlled substance act.
Don't be surprised if it eventually happens. We're already expected to check id before allowing someone to sign for a wine shipment.

TUT

Don't be surprised if it eventually happens. We're already expected to check id before allowing someone to sign for a wine shipment.

Right, but you don't get into proving a shipper has proper ABC licenses and if they did you can't say with certainty from a drivers perspective if the recipient is compliant with the shipment. But I could see legal drugs being more regulated to the point of obtaining a signature.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Reminds me of an old Mitch Hedberg joke "my fedex guy is a drug dealer, he just doesn't know it."

We've known it for years. There have been several stations where management and hourlies went into the drug business themselves by going through residentials and checking the contents. If there were drugs inside, they were used and/or sold.

I've known plenty of couriers who would take "samples" from residentials as well. FedEx would cooperate with the police if they were actively looking to arrest a big dealer, but drug searches and dogs are rare at ramps, and even rarer at stations because they "disrupt" the sorts.

The lawsuit is all about online pharmacies. FedEx absolutely knew that a lot of these outfits were not legit but we did business with them because it was lucrative to do so. That is why the Feds are pursuing this.

CJinx

I don't think anyone is contesting that Fedex delivers prescription drugs on behalf of pharmacies. The government believes that the sales reps and by extension the higher ups were supposed to know better than to do business with shippers who were getting shut down left and right by the DEA.

That has some merit, but I think ultimately the government which gave these shippers licenses to sell prescription meds over the internet (without bothering to check on how they verify who is allowed to order what) should ultimately be responsible for said meds getting in the hands of people who don't have prescriptions.

So either the pharmacies or the government is supposed to show Fedex who has what prescriptions and tell us the contents of every box (and violate HIPPA in the process) or it's none of our business and they need to sort it out amongst themselves.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I don't think anyone is contesting that Fedex delivers prescription drugs on behalf of pharmacies. The government believes that the sales reps and by extension the higher ups were supposed to know better than to do business with shippers who were getting shut down left and right by the DEA.

That has some merit, but I think ultimately the government which gave these shippers licenses to sell prescription meds over the internet (without bothering to check on how they verify who is allowed to order what) should ultimately be responsible for said meds getting in the hands of people who don't have prescriptions.

So either the pharmacies or the government is supposed to show Fedex who has what prescriptions and tell us the contents of every box (and violate HIPPA in the process) or it's none of our business and they need to sort it out amongst themselves.

I'm guessing that the government has some sort of proof that FedEx was aware and made a conscious decision to cash-in rather than act ethically. That could be emails, a "Deep Throat" in upper management, or some other indicator that FedEx was fully cognizant of what was going on.

CJinx

The indictment states that some of the sales reps responsible for those accounts were complaining about losing their account retention bonuses due to the 'volatile market' and seeking exemptions from those particular accounts hitting their retention goals. Not exactly a smoking gun which is probably why our legal team is going to fight it.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The indictment states that some of the sales reps responsible for those accounts were complaining about losing their account retention bonuses due to the 'volatile market' and seeking exemptions from those particular accounts hitting their retention goals. Not exactly a smoking gun which is probably why our legal team is going to fight it.

There could very well be a smoking gun the government is saving for trial. FedEx fights everything...and then they settle out of court. Perhaps FWS wants to negotiate a lower

overflowed

From what I remember when reading it, it said we started charging them more to ship once fedex got wind the dea was looking at them. Didn't sound good, sounded like fedex to me.

overflowed

From what I remember when reading it, it said we started charging them more to ship once fedex got wind the dea was looking at them. Didn't sound good, sounded like fedex to me.