Does seniority count ?

SHA

I have worked at UPS for 23 years and about a year ago switched to the night sort from preload. I have been made to load the trailers. When I ask for a sorting job . They tell me it is work as directed. They say I am a part timer and seniority doesn't count.

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
check with your steward and read your supplement. this is from our local 804 supplement

Section 2 – Package Center Seniority

(a) Center Seniority. There shall be separate seniority lists for the
inside employees of each package center and separate seniority lists
for the outside employees of each package center.

(b) Job Assignment. Assignment of work shall be made on the basis
of seniority lists described in (a) above.

and

(e) Job Preference (Night Package). When a permanent vacancy
occurs in the night package operation in a center, a senior employee
in said center shall be given an opportunity to select such assignment,
subject to the operating needs of the Company.
Any claimed abuse as to the use of “(operating need of the
Company),” shall be referred to the Company by the Union.

JonFrum

You are entitled to fill any job opening provided you are the senior person seeking the job.

ARTICLE 22. PART-TIME EMPLOYEES
Section 4.
Part-time employees shall be given the opportunity to fill full-time jobs before hiring from the outside on a six-for-one basis (six (6) part-time to every one (1) outside hire).

The following will be incorporated into the job selection procedures in the applicable Supplement, Rider or Addendum:

The Employer will fill all vacancies and permanent new jobs for part-time employees from the part-time selection list in all months except November and December.

Part-time employees with six (6) months or more seniority shall have the right to place their name on the list of employees waiting to be moved to a preferred job within their building. Such preferred jobs shall include, but not be limited to: Preload, Sorter, Clerical, Irregular Train, Designated Responder, Carwasher, Loader and Unloader. Employees do not have the right to select any specific unit, load or workstation unless a prior past practice has been established.

Part-time employees with less than six (6) months seniority shall have the right to bid a preferred job prior to the Employer hiring from off-the-street.

A maximum of twenty-five percent (25%) of the employees on a shift shall be allowed to change shifts in any one (1) calendar year. The employee obtaining the new position shall remain on that shift for at least six (6) months.

menotyou

bella amicizia
In my building, they claim(union and labor) there is no picking your workstation. If you transfer to a new shift, you start at the bottom. As I posted in another thread, the boondocks suck.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
File a greivance based on 22.4 and all others applicable and see what happens. Put it in writting ,bring it to a hearing ,do it the correct way.Get the union involved they represent you and make the company respond offically other than to blow you off with their made up rules.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
In my building, they claim(union and labor) there is no picking your workstation. If you transfer to a new shift, you start at the bottom. As I posted in another thread, the boondocks suck.

They are correct unless there is a previous practice of preferred jobs.
I would go ahead and grieve it as Stewie said. You will probably have to prove a past practice.
Maybe you can be the guy to start a future past practice.

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
They are correct unless there is a previous practice of preferred jobs.
I would go ahead and grieve it as Stewie said. You will probably have to prove a past practice.
Maybe you can be the guy to start a future past practice.

this was a tough nut to crack on our preload. for years it was the rule that the minority of fulltimers had to load package car assignments while partimers unloaded trailers, loaded assignments, sorted or drove the bulk cart. all seniority was used for was to pick vacations. then came along scanning. again partimers were used. then we got a preload manager (one in a long list and at least half got fired over the years for fudging numbers) that decided to reinvent the wheel (again) and opened up a can of worms. he said there wasn't enough volume in the beginning of the night so he uprooted all the first shift partimers and forced them to the second shift. then he made us fulltimers unload trailers and scan. we started arguing about who gets to do what and seniority kicked into play. then we raised the argument that hell if we can scan on the first shift, why do we have to load on the second shift and let partimers scan? it all snowballed after that and seniority was used to pick job assignments.

jeepupser

Keep asking and make sure you have the Union guy with you. I have seen seniority being skipped over a lot but have the contract and union guy and you might be able to get a better job. Do it quickly though.

22.34life

I have worked at UPS for 23 years and about a year ago switched to the night sort from preload. I have been made to load the trailers. When I ask for a sorting job . They tell me it is work as directed. They say I am a part timer and seniority doesn't count.

do you know the hub sort or any of the pickoff checks?i switched to the day sort from midnight about 5 yrs ago and i was the new kid on the block i didnt know any of the pickoffs on noonday and didnt know the sort.so i had to start off loading ,i loaded for about a year then moved on to a skilled postion or preferred job whatever u want a call it.be patient but persistant.

rama'nfeeders

Where do you work??? What's your SHOP STEWARD SAY??? Did you call your LOCAL UNION OFFICE??????????? Be PROACTIVE dont sit on YOUR ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

menotyou

bella amicizia
Where do you work??? What's your SHOP STEWARD SAY??? Did you call your LOCAL UNION OFFICE??????????? Be PROACTIVE dont sit on YOUR ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had an argument with the president of our local about part time seniority. He doesn't agree with me about the wordage in the contract. Has to be dealt with nationally, but it won't be. Hoffa has a deal with Davis, I swear.