Does the guaranteed 3.5 Hrs apply to new hires?

EastBrown N Down

I reported to work this morning at 3:30. Really light loads, 3 trucks and 750 pcs. An hour in, my sup tells me my routes were cut and I was going home. I thought he was :censored2:ing with me, so I laughed it off and kept moving... He continued to tell me one car was being moved, and the 2 others were being condensed. He wasn't :censored2:ing with me, something about the volume being off m 1400 or something like that. I told him I didn't want to go home, and asked if there was somewhere to put me for the day? He had me scan, sticker & resort the packages. That gave me an extra 20 min's (whoop de doo da).

That's my story, the question is am I guaranteed 3.5 hrs. of work? I am a new hire, haven't hit seniority yet (I'm at day 11).

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I reported to work this morning at 3:30. Really light loads, 3 trucks and 750 pcs. An hour in, my sup tells me my routes were cut and I was going home. I thought he was :censored2:ing with me, so I laughed it off and kept moving... He continued to tell me one car was being moved, and the 2 others were being condensed. He wasn't :censored2:ing with me, something about the volume being off m 1400 or something like that. I told him I didn't want to go home, and asked if there was somewhere to put me for the day? He had me scan, sticker & resort the packages. That gave me an extra 20 min's (whoop de doo da).

That's my story, the question is am I guaranteed 3.5 hrs. of work? I am a new hire, haven't hit seniority yet (I'm at day 11).
At least in the Central Region, you have every contractual right as anyone else. If you were told to come in and they sent you home, you are guanteed 6 hours pay. Pick your battles wisely though. Until you get seniority, they can disqualify you for just about any reason they make up. Except for to evade the contract.

PT Car Washer

At least in the Central Region, you have every contractual right as anyone else. If you were told to come in and they sent you home, you are guanteed 6 hours pay. Pick your battles wisely though. Until you get seniority, they can disqualify you for just about any reason they make up. Except for to evade the contract.
I agree he should get his guarantee hours but where do you get 6 hours from?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I agree he should get his guarantee hours but where do you get 6 hours from?
Article 12

Section 7

Each full-time employee put to work shall have a daily guarantee of eight (8) hours of work. Any full-time employee reporting to work and not put to work shall receive six (6) hours’ guarantee. The guarantee may be broken by request of the employee using the appropriate

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I don't know where that smiley face came from. It should be 8 instead of that face.

ARTICLE 1-PROBATIONARY EMPLOYEES-SEASONAL EMPLOYEES
Section 1
(a) Probationary employees: a new employee shall work under the provisions of this Agreement but shall be employed only on a thirty
(30) working day trial basis, during which period he/she may be discharged without further recourse; provided however, that the Employer may not discharge or discipline for the purpose of evading this Agreement or discriminating against union members. After working thirty (30) days within a ninety (90) consecutive day period, the employee shall be placed on the regular seniority list, and his/her seniority date shall revert back to the first (1st) day of the thirty (30) day period in which the employee gained seniority

Box Ox

Roll with anything you're told to do and don't say anything until you make your 30 days. There'll be plenty of time for all that after. Until then, you could be canned and swapped out for some package stud who's waiting for a call to replace you.

annie345

In my center you have to be qualified first but.. At least it still counts as a day toward qualifying.. Pick your battles, if u make too many waves, you may not get qualified

annie345

I don't know where that smiley face came from. It should be 8 instead of that face.

ARTICLE 1-PROBATIONARY EMPLOYEES-SEASONAL EMPLOYEES
Section 1
(a) Probationary employees: a new employee shall work under the provisions of this Agreement but shall be employed only on a thirty
(30) working day trial basis, during which period he/she may be discharged without further recourse; provided however, that the Employer may not discharge or discipline for the purpose of evading this Agreement or discriminating against union members. After working thirty (30) days within a ninety (90) consecutive day period, the employee shall be placed on the regular seniority list, and his/her seniority date shall revert back to the first (1st) day of the thirty (30) day period in which the employee gained seniority
That must be in your supplemental agreement cause its not in the southern region agreement.

PT Car Washer

Article 12

Section 7

Each full-time employee put to work shall have a daily guarantee of eight (8) hours of work. Any full-time employee reporting to work and not put to work shall receive six (6) hours’ guarantee. The guarantee may be broken by request of the employee using the appropriate
He is PT working the Pre load.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Article 11

ARTICLE 11-PART-TIME EMPLOYEES
Section 1
Part-time employees may be scheduled five (5) consecutive days in a seven (7) day period. Sunday through Saturday. A part-time employee not utilized for five (5) consecutive days can be called in at straight-time for any of the days remaining in his/her five (5) consecutive day work schedule. The first scheduled day of each week
shall begin the employee’s consecutive day cycle. Current part-time employees will be afforded the opportunity to select their preferred schedule as noted above.
Part-time employees when reporting to work as scheduled, shall be guaranteed a minimum of three and one-half (3-1/2) hours; should any part-time employee work beyond the fifth (5th) hour, he/she shall be paid one and one-half (1 1/2) times his/her regular hourly rate for those hours worked in excess of five (5) on that day.

annie345

Article 11

ARTICLE 11-PART-TIME EMPLOYEES
Section 1
Part-time employees may be scheduled five (5) consecutive days in a seven (7) day period. Sunday through Saturday. A part-time employee not utilized for five (5) consecutive days can be called in at straight-time for any of the days remaining in his/her five (5) consecutive day work schedule. The first scheduled day of each week
shall begin the employee’s consecutive day cycle. Current part-time employees will be afforded the opportunity to select their preferred schedule as noted above.
Part-time employees when reporting to work as scheduled, shall be guaranteed a minimum of three and one-half (3-1/2) hours; should any part-time employee work beyond the fifth (5th) hour, he/she shall be paid one and one-half (1 1/2) times his/her regular hourly rate for those hours worked in excess of five (5) on that day.
He is not a seniority emoloyee

EastBrown N Down

Yeah I'm not going to say anything, in the end the job is worth more than the 22 dollars I'd have to argue for. I just wanted to know what was what. Thank you all for the info, and advice. I appreciate it

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
That must be in your supplemental agreement cause its not in the southern region agreement.
If you are talking about probationary employees having every right under the contract as anyone else, for example, his daily guarantee for showing up to work, it is in the Southern Region Supplement. It says that a new employee shall work under the provisions of this Agreement...This means that he/she is covered by all language in this agreement.

SOUTHERN REGION OF TEAMSTERS

AND

UNITED PARCEL SERVICE, INC.

SUPPLEMENTAL AGREEMENT

ARTICLE 46 – ACQUISITION OF SENIORITY

SECTION 1 – PROBATIONARY PERIOD

A new employee shall work under the provisions of this Agreement

but shall be employed only on a thirty (30) working day trial basis,

during which period the employee may be discharged without further

recourse, provided however, that the Employer may not discharge

or discipline for the purpose of evading this Agreement or

discriminating against Union members. On the thirty-first (31st)

working day within one hundred and twenty (120) consecutive day

period, the employee shall be placed on the regular seniority list and

the employee’s seniority date shall be the first day worked within

the one hundred and twenty (120) day period.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
If you are talking about probationary employees having every right under the contract as anyone else, for example, his daily guarantee for showing up to work, it is in the Southern Region Supplement. It says that a new employee shall work under the provisions of this Agreement...This means that he/she is covered by all language in this agreement.

SOUTHERN REGION OF TEAMSTERS

AND

UNITED PARCEL SERVICE, INC.

SUPPLEMENTAL AGREEMENT

ARTICLE 46 – ACQUISITION OF SENIORITY

SECTION 1 – PROBATIONARY PERIOD

A new employee shall work under the provisions of this Agreement

but shall be employed only on a thirty (30) working day trial basis,

during which period the employee may be discharged without further

recourse, provided however, that the Employer may not discharge

or discipline for the purpose of evading this Agreement or

discriminating against Union members. On the thirty-first (31st)

working day within one hundred and twenty (120) consecutive day

period, the employee shall be placed on the regular seniority list and

the employee’s seniority date shall be the first day worked within

the one hundred and twenty (120) day period.

But would you have fought for your 3.5 hour guarantee during your probationary period? I know I wouldn't have....eyes open, mouth shut, WAD.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
He is not a seniority emoloyee
Contract does not say "seniority" employees in this section. It does say "seniority" employees when it references the 40 hour guarantee for the week. This means that a probationary employee is not guaranteed work. But when they do call him/her in, there is an 8 hour guarantee or 6 hour if they send him home.