Does the US Army get free UPS shipping?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I delivered several over 70 pound Next Day Airs to the Army Reserve along with a bunch of Savers the other day. I asked the guy if they were being deployed somewhere soon because they were paying some serious shipping charges. He said no, just have a new Supply Sargeant. Why do we have budget problems?

bbsam

Staff member
I delivered several over 70 pound Next Day Airs to the Army Reserve along with a bunch of Savers the other day. I asked the guy if they were being deployed somewhere soon because they were paying some serious shipping charges. He said no, just have a new Supply Sargeant. Why do we have budget problems?
Might have to use up the budget before June 31st otherwise the budget will be cut. Weird but true.

rod

Retired 22 years
I can't picture anyone getting free shipping now days. "Way back when" we did (weren't suppose to but everyone did).

menotyou

bella amicizia
We get tons of stuff near the end of the month because of the concern about budgets being cut, but that usually occurs a the end of the month. 283 NDA tv monitors one day. That was the largest number of items in one day. Not sure how much weight we have passed in one day. Fort Drum has grown immensely because of this war. I wish it would end.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Usually, the end of a fiscal year for a company ends around September. October is the heaviest months thereafter, due to all the ordering. And for those big companies, it isnt because of budget cuts. If they spend as much as the budget allows, perhaps go a little over, they will get a bigger budget next year. So, its only an attempt to keep their limit spending at, near or more then it already is. Huge companies do this year round all the time. For some, shipping is free for them, because they are not the ones who pay for it. Hope that clears things up a little.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I thought fiscal years usually went June to June.

Fiscal years vary---when I was active duty it was 1 Oct to 30 Sep and you would be amazed (and disgusted) at the amount of money that is wasted every year as the fiscal year winds down because, as was mentioned above, if you didn't spend what was in your budget this year the amount unspent would be deducted from next year's budget.

texan

Fiscal years vary---when I was active duty it was 1 Oct to 30 Sep and you would be amazed (and disgusted) at the amount of money that is wasted every year as the fiscal year winds down because, as was mentioned above, if you didn't spend what was in your budget this year the amount unspent would be deducted from next year's budget.

I was pressured into the same thinking year after year in my duration in the Army.
I ordered automotive repair parts all year to maintain the fleet. Come 1 Sep, an officer would come to me
and say we need to spend x amount asap.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I can recall one year being handed the keys to a government vehicle and told to drive around the base as we needed to have x amount of miles on that vehicle or we would lose it. I then spent the next 8 hours driving around the base.