Does UPS care at all about employee morale?

The Milkman

What you are missing is, if I didn't tell you how to build it, it never would of got built. You were instructed your whole short career on what to do and how to do it. So with that being said I would like to say, you're welcome. As far as behind the scenes. What behind the scenes footage have you saw? If you think the work you did in the trenches is behind the scenes then I pity you.

UPSSOCKS

Please don't pity me..Anyone who works or has worked for UPS knows that Atlanta pulls the strings on the puppets, years before it was Greenwich CT. I personally knew ************if that name rings a a bell. He was our District Mgr before heading to Detroit then on to Corporate in Atlanta. I know I know, you could care less about who I knew but I do know that I am happily retired now going on 3yrs and am glad I do not have to see all the poor mngt decisions that to many make no sense.
If only someone would remember Jim Caseys original thoughts, I know you don't:peaceful:

Last edited by a moderator:

The Milkman

I'm starting to wonder if you are really a retired employee of UPS. You have a childish posting style... I'm calling BS on BC...

Remember I have to behave myself, I can not offend anyone that has thin skin. Yes I am retired and I only wish I worked for you. I sometimes wonder if you are really in a upper position in Mngt. Many of my brothers over the years never could figure out how people such as you (who claim to be Mngt) got so far up the ladder.Most leaders get respect and inspire others to go above and beyond. I do not think many on your ship would of givin you the respect that you seem to think you deserve being Dm or center manager, with what I have read in the past. You may outside UPS be all Puffed up about yourself but the people who really know you think otherwise...

UPSSOCKS

Same here. If they are stupid enough to lay drivers off and pay the rest of us 2.5 hours a day in overtime... who am I to question their wisdom.

Just tell them to be prepared to pay me accordingly... because it is going to cost them.

The day seems to go pretty well when you decide first thing in the morning that you couldn't care less what time you get done.

If you think your 2.5 hours OT is more expensive than keeping another body on board, then you are sadly mistaken...

UPSSOCKS

Remember I have to behave myself, I can not offend anyone that has thin skin. Yes I am retired and I only wish I worked for you. I sometimes wonder if you are really in a upper position in Mngt. Many of my brothers over the years never could figure out how people such as you (who claim to be Mngt) got so far up the ladder.Most leaders get respect and inspire others to go above and beyond. I do not think many on your ship would of givin you the respect that you seem to think you deserve being Dm or center manager, with what I have read in the past. You may outside UPS be all Puffed up about yourself but the people who really know you think otherwise...

But you see, the people that think otherwise DON'T MATTER... Your brothers do not need to figure out anything. All they have to do is listen, and obey. BY the way where are you from??? My mom always told me my father was "The Milkman"

browniehound

Irregardless is one. Supposably is another. And we have a guy in our center who always says 'last but least'.

I like the term "Donnie, get off your high horses". Obviously not the best grammar and I think its why I like it. I really think people should get off their high horses. LOL.

Re-Raise

If you think your 2.5 hours OT is more expensive than keeping another body on board, then you are sadly mistaken...

Some companies eliminate overtime to save money. Why pay time and a half when you can have the work done at straight time.

In our center it doesn't cut miles , the laid off drivers still have insurance and accumulate enough time for vacations and pension contributions, so please enlighten me.

The Milkman

But you see, the people that think otherwise DON'T MATTER... Your brothers do not need to figure out anything. All they have to do is listen, and obey. BY the way where are you from??? My mom always told me my father was "The Milkman"

Then you must be one good lookin guy....... Before I hung it up..North then Central Jersey..Now AZ:peaceful:

UPSSOCKS

Some companies eliminate overtime to save money. Why pay time and a half when you can have the work done at straight time.

In our center it doesn't cut miles , the laid off drivers still have insurance and accumulate enough time for vacations and pension contributions, so please enlighten me.

It's pretty simple math.. I think you can learn basic multiplication, division, addition and subtracting on google now :)

Re-Raise

It's pretty simple math.. I think you can learn basic multiplication, division, addition and subtracting on google now :)

I am still waiting.

How is paying time and a half cheaper for our company while other companies prefer to hire enough people to staff their operations?

UPS just uses different math than everyone else?

I understand how eliminating jobs in the management ranks makes sense because thay don't do enough to be missed when they are gone, but why pay $45 an hour when you could hire people at around $20 an hour to deliver.

We aren't the only company that offers employees benefits

Last edited:

JustTired

free at last.......

OK let me elaborate on my previous statement.

The argument that saving the cost of an employee and vehicle on the road is a good one. When you only look at half of the story.

What about the driver that is out there 2.5 extra hrs/day? Fatigue can be a factor in many facets of the job. More prone to vehicle accidents. More prone to personal accidents. More prone to stress related problems. More prone to low morale. More prone to have personal problems at home. More prone to just say the heck with it and call off. All have a great deal to do with the actual cost to the company. Some of those costs show up on reports...others do not. But, regardless, they do affect the bottom line.

As far as having additional vehicles on the road goes......
Whether the work is on an additional vehicle or not, the work is still out there. It takes time (therefore the additional 2.5 hrs/day) to deliver the pkgs. The exposure to accidents is still the same and I might argue even greater considering the fatigue factor.

There might be some savings.....but when all is taken into account.....I'm guessing it is a very small percentage. Not really worth the risk of the added exposure fatigue and low morale bring into the picture.

klein

Für Meno :)
I am still waiting.

How is paying time and a half cheaper for our company while other companies prefer to hire enough people to staff their operations?

UPS just uses different math than everyone else?

I understand how eliminating jobs in the management ranks makes sense because thay don't do enough to be missed when they are gone, but why pay $45 an hour when you could hire people at $17 to deliver.

here : to that $17 hr, add almost $9.00 for health and dental bennies = $26, then add vacation, stat holidays, optional days, wcb premiums, another $6.00 or more = $32.00
Add to that the pension plan.

Now, you need more fleet (more drivers = more trucks), another huge cost.
more trucks = more maintance workers
more trucks = added insurance and registration costs
and lastly more trucks and drivers will also likely add to more accidents.

So, yes, very much cheaper to pay OT, on limited equipment and staff.

iowa boy

Come on,

Everyone is overanalyzing this! UPS has no capability to measure morale. Unless there are sets of numbers involved to quantify morale, (which there are none), UPS doesn't acknowledge that morale even exists within the company.

In other words, within the confines of UPS, morale does not exist as it cannot be measured.:happy-very:

UPSSOCKS

Come on,

Everyone is overanalyzing this! UPS has no capability to measure morale. Unless there are sets of numbers involved to quantify morale, (which there are none), UPS doesn't acknowledge that morale even exists within the company.

In other words, within the confines of UPS, morale does not exist as it cannot be measured.:happy-very:

Your absolutely right the company is incompetent. It survived 100 years by mere luck.....

iowa boy

Your absolutely right the company is incompetent. It survived 100 years by mere luck.....

No, the company isn't incompetent, just certain individuals within the company are incompetent and lack simple common sense.

And I added the smiley at the end of my comment to imply that it was a joke.

Kudos Socks, for trying to twist my words around.

UPSSOCKS

No, the company isn't incompetent, just certain individuals within the company are incompetent and lack simple common sense.

And I added the smiley at the end of my comment to imply that it was a joke.

Kudos Socks, for trying to twist my words around.

And I thought I instructed you to address me as Sir.....