Does UPS ever get the weight wrong on their tracking page?

danlovaa

Not sure this is the correct forum to post this in and I apologize if it is not as this is my first post. Trying to gain some insight.

I ordered a computer off of Amazon (off a reputable, but terribly reviewed seller), which was my mistake. Should've checked the reviews first. Anyways, the reason I'm worried is because I've read that they've often sent the wrong items to households.

Does UPS ever get the shipping weight wrong...or should I just anticipate the wrong package to end up coming Friday? I've gotten dozens of orders from UPS and they've always had the correct weight...so this is a first. Any help is appreciated.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
If the person you bought the computer from is a volume shipper with UPS then they will give him a bulk rate discount and charge an average weight per package for his business. For instance, if he sells 1 lb. batteries, 5 lbs. laptops and 15 lbs computers all day long then the average is 7 lbs. Could be why, hope it works out for ya.

danlovaa

If this info helps, they do have information about them shipping out pallets worth of things to UPS. So I guess you could consider that bulk as they ship out "hundreds of orders per day," according to them, with UPS and USPS coming and picking them up every hour.

Wouldn't this individual package be weighed itself and have the right info displayed on the tracking page though? That seems a little odd.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Not really. Their packages would be audited from time to time and a new bulk rate will be negotiated. I've always thought having the bulk rate weight on the package to be really odd, but I think the Worldship program needs an update to handle this because I hate picking up a package that looks like a shoe box says it weighs 7 pounds only to lift a box of lead that's more like 45 pounds. And I seriously doubt that they have UPS and USPS picking them up every hour. I've lived in Portland, OR and Los Angeles and haven't run into a business that gets that kind of service...although I suppose it's possible.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The weight that is displayed on tracking is from information that was entered (read from scale or key-entered) by the customer.

If UPS weighs the package they will change the weight on the billing statement to the shipper but never on the tracking display.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Judging by what you've reviewed the shipper has poor reviews and as such I'd expect them to lie on the shipping weight, hoping UPS doesn't catch it, while screwing you with more than average shipping costs. Happens all the time when I pick up drop off packages at the UPS store. They'll get audited and get a bill for incorrect shipping weight if the auditors catch it at some point in transit, but it won't effect you.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Judging by what you've reviewed the shipper has poor reviews and as such I'd expect them to lie on the shipping weight, hoping UPS doesn't catch it, while screwing you with more than average shipping costs. Happens all the time when I pick up drop off packages at the UPS store. They'll get audited and get a bill for incorrect shipping weight if the auditors catch it at some point in transit, but it won't effect you.

Nice conjecture and invective. :wink2:

Unfortunately, a logical deduction and projection.

vowl

up late
Every day I see wrong weights. As a loader you read them to prepare. A 1lb box could weigh 80. A 100lb box could weigh 5. We have one customer who always over weighs there packages to the point of absurdity.

Deemster

Every day we get mis weighted packages, to either extreme. We also get FedEx labeled packages every time I ask about either scenario, the response is just load it