Does UPS use a temp agency anywhere?

Needle Ran

I have a friend who interviewed at a well known temp agency (that I'd rather not mention). He says that he bombed the interview but the guy told him he could get him back into UPS despite the fact that he's been involuntarily discharged.

Is this 100% BS as it sounds? I've never heard of HR using temp agencies in my area and recruiters for temps aren't exactly known for their shining honesty, but this seems like too big of a lie even for someone in that profession.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
I know they used Kelly Temporary Services back in the 90's for OMS "jobs". I think they keep about half your check for a long time if not forever.

Needle Ran

I know they used Kelly Temporary Services back in the 90's for OMS "jobs". I think they keep about half your check for a long time if not forever.
Interesting.

They've always had more relaxed standards when it came to managers for some reason.
Take a look at your post and the only question mark in it.
I sort of already knew, but it's very odd the rep would say UPS when they have the strictest rehire policy of any major employer.

At least I know never to trust that temp firm whenever I need a job lol

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
Interesting.

They've always had more relaxed standards when it came to managers for some reason.

I sort of already knew, but it's very odd the rep would say UPS when they have the strictest rehire policy of any major employer.

At least I know never to trust that temp firm whenever I need a job lol
Remember this was back in the 90's. Completely different company now. Who knows what those clowns use now for employment services.. parole lists, wanted posters, etc.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Every Monday morning the division manager drives an old brown bus down to the local parole board and tells the desk sergeant "give me another 10 for my preload". Thats our temp agency in these parts.

Kae3106

I have a friend who interviewed at a well known temp agency (that I'd rather not mention). He says that he bombed the interview but the guy told him he could get him back into UPS despite the fact that he's been involuntarily discharged.

Is this 100% BS as it sounds? I've never heard of HR using temp agencies in my area and recruiters for temps aren't exactly known for their shining honesty, but this seems like too big of a lie even for someone in that profession.

Temp agencies are used a lot for office jobs in the support functions. With cost cutting and transformation, they prefer temps who can be dismissed with a phone call and no severance.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
we use temp agencies to fill OMS and helper coordinator spots, since we think anyone can do those jobs

naturally that’s totally wrong and they’re actually intermediate skill positions that can have big impacts on production and service in unseen ways, but hey what do i know

Needle Ran

How do you "bomb" a temp agency interview? v What did your friend do to get fired from UPS?
Some temp firms are more strict than others.

He claims he was given a behavioral interview (those "tell me about" questions) which is uncommon in warehouse so it threw him off.

I'm assuming it was more an issue with that particular rep just being extremely picky and not having the guts to tell him he went in another direction.

Edit: Oh and he says he got fired for getting to many "salts" on the load end. Usually any more than 5 on probation and they fire you.

watdaflock?

Some temp firms are more strict than others.

He claims he was given a behavioral interview (those "tell me about" questions) which is uncommon in warehouse so it threw him off.

I'm assuming it was more an issue with that particular rep just being extremely picky and not having the guts to tell him he went in another direction.
Next time, he should try Googling "most common interview questions" before the actual interview.

Turkleton

There's always women at the pool, baby!
UPS SCS locations use them.

For Mail Innovations, the hourly staffing is comprised entirely of temps and the only UPS presence is PT supes and up.

In medical, it's a mix of both and a temp-to-hire.