Dog bites hurt!

Pooter

Not yet. 2 years swinging. In due time I'm sure I will. Odds seem against us not to.

I do walk around with DIAD on hand just in case :D

9.5er

Been bit twice. Once on the ankle by a german shepherd while sitting in the jump seat helping another driver. The other was on the arm by a basset hound. The basset got me while the home owner was in the middle of saying " Oh don't worry he won't bite."

oldngray

nowhere special
In all seriousness can drivers carry knives or keep one on the truck in case of dog attacks?

We all used to carry little knives to cut off COD tags. No Rambo knives though. Pepper spray would probably be allowed but you should never need it if you are aware of your surroundings and learn what dogs to avoid. There is always the possibility of a dog coming out of nowhere and attack you though.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Ive gotten bitten twice! One time not too bad,the other time...I got torn up a little but!...How about you??
funny-dog-shaming-karma-bites-you-in-the-butt1-224x300-1.jpg

AndUPSER

During a meeting for inside employees becoming driver helpers, before last peak season, a guy was terrified when they mentioned the possibility of a dog biting us while jumping. The guy got into an argument on rather or not he could bring a weapon ( he mentioned pepper spray, a knife, even a gun). He walked out after they told him he was not allowed to bring any sort of weapon to protect himself.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I think I got bit 5 times while a package driver. A woman had a locked gate. I honked, she came out followed by two little ankle biters. She came outside the gate followed by her dogs. Don't worry she said, they won't bite...at the exact time she said it, both the little bastids got ahold of an ankle. I don't understand ! they never did *that* before!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We all used to carry little knives to cut off COD tags. No Rambo knives though. Pepper spray would probably be allowed but you should never need it if you are aware of your surroundings and learn what dogs to avoid. There is always the possibility of a dog coming out of nowhere and attack you though.
Pepper spray doesnt work on dogs.

If I am at a stop with a big dog that I am not familiar with, I carry a 5-cell Mag Light with me. Mag Lights are pretty much war clubs with light bulbs on one end, having one allows you to carry a bona fide weapon in your hand under the guise of having a flashlight.

I almost had my leg torn off as a child in a dog attack, but in 26 years of UPS driving I have never been bitten.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I always make it a habit to carry the diad with me at every stop regardless of commercial or resie. Better to go into a gunfight with a gun than without 1 lol.