Dog Bites?

33% to lawyer?

I was bit by a nasty dog last July, it tried to tear off my kneecap by clamping it and pulling/shakign...long story don't really want to discuss anymore here, it has been hell. :knockedout:

Yup! The lawyer got 2K I got 4K. Hopefully there won't be a next time! After 3 different bites, I'm done! As one driver told me, "any dog that bites me is a dead dog".

S

speeddemon

Its only going to get worse. Many customers are opting for the under ground fence these days instead of the traditional wood or wire fence. The dogs on my route get a choice, a dog biscuit or a baseball bat.

packagemandan

The payouts vary by the state, Hope your face has healed, in fl. the payout average is 5,000 to 8,500. My brother was bit by a pit bull on the hand about 10 years ago and he had a weekend gig as a drummer. Couldn't play for two months, that weighed heavily in his favor, he received more than the average. Had a dog on my route crash through a window,literally, and bit me on the side, scared the C##p out of me. Tip, carry treats in top pocket has saved me on more than a couple occasions.

The payouts vary by the state, Hope your face has healed, in fl. the payout average is 5,000 to 8,500. My brother was bit by a pit bull on the hand about 10 years ago and he had a weekend gig as a drummer. Couldn't play for two months, that weighed heavily in his favor, he received more than the average. Had a dog on my route crash through a window,literally, and bit me on the side, scared the C##p out of me. Tip, carry treats in top pocket has saved me on more than a couple occasions.

Thanks for another horror story. Would be nice to know who owns a dog & it should come right up in the diad.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Your dispatch sup can add notes to stops in the DIAD through CPAD.
Sure can! We have 2 customers that are not delivered too anymore because of their dogs. 1 customer that gets her stuff delivered at the mail box and several customers that have cpad notes - beware of dog.

I left a note on 1 pkg telling the customer that if their dog ever came after me again they would be contacted by county animal control. The dog was confined after that.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I guess I am lucky; people call me the "dog whisperer" because I bond with almost any dog and even the ones that act mean right at first usually wind up being my buddies once I take a minute to get to know them. In 24 yrs of driving I have had a couple of "close calls" but I have never once been bitten. By the end of a normal work day the floor of my cab is usually covered with dog hair, muddy paw prints, doggy slobber and dog biscuit crumbs. I generally like the dogs on the route better than the people, and some of my favorite dogs are the ones that "look" the scariest such as the pit bulls and rottweilers. My route is mostly rural now so it isnt just loose dogs I encounter; I have had an entire herd of pygmy goats jump into the pkg car and raid my lunch box, and I routinely deal with horses, cattle, sheep, geese and wild turkeys as well.
double trouble.jpg

menotyou

bella amicizia
My feeling exactly, Sober. I think the dogs can smell the attitude we have towards them. My own dogs like most people. The like my regular driver, no matter how much he 'acts' like he doesn't like them. One of my co-workers/friends, can to my house. His first visit. The dogs had to be kept outside while he was here. He hates, I mean hates, dogs. Not sure why, but my dogs did not like him at all. BTW, it was a warm day and I have a half-acre fence attached to the house and an extra large dog door. Had to close the door, but the dogs were very comfy.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
My feeling exactly, Sober. I think the dogs can smell the attitude we have towards them. My own dogs like most people. The like my regular driver, no matter how much he 'acts' like he doesn't like them. One of my co-workers/friends, can to my house. His first visit. The dogs had to be kept outside while he was here. He hates, I mean hates, dogs. Not sure why, but my dogs did not like him at all. BTW, it was a warm day and I have a half-acre fence attached to the house and an extra large dog door. Had to close the door, but the dogs were very comfy.
You hit the nail on the head with 2 statements. Many years ago I had 2 Rotts. Brother and sister. They loved people. Always very friendly. One day I took both the dogs with me out to where I used to work to check on my work schedule. One of the guys that I worked with and whom I didn't care for one little bit, happened to be out there. He started to walk over to the truck to see the dogs and Zena raised her hackles and bared her teeth at him. I had NEVER ever seen her do that to anyone before. I don't know if she picked up vibes from me or if it was her own intuition but I quickly stepped in and asked him to leave. He never attempted to go near the dogs after that.

Last edited:

menotyou

bella amicizia
I had a rott named Zena. A little runt of a rott. She weighed 90 lbs, though. One big wiggle muscle is what she was. That's part of the reason those poor dogs have such a bad rap. Hello? What do you think they were bred to do? Play footsie?? They are big love muffins, until they smell something is wrong. Sounds like a great dog, Dilli!

Brodie loves everyone, but don't come tame the wrong way. You won't walk away. He will make sure of it. I love me some Brodie, my baby boy!!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I had a rott named Zena. A little runt of a rott. She weighed 90 lbs, though. One big wiggle muscle is what she was. That's part of the reason those poor dogs have such a bad rap. Hello? What do you think they were bred to do? Play footsie?? They are big love muffins, until they smell something is wrong. Sounds like a great dog, Dilli!

Brodie loves everyone, but don't come tame the wrong way. You won't walk away. He will make sure of it. I love me some Brodie, my baby boy!!
Zena and Zeus. They were great dogs. Big lovers.

Your Brodie is beautiful.

badpal.

avoiding brown kool-aid
I have two Pitbulls named Gaston and Bella (boy and girl respectively). They are the most loving of dogs until they sense something is wrong and are very protective of me. People always give Pits a bad name or assume the worse when I tell them about my dogs. Any dog can attack you...all depends on how they were bred and how you interact with it.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I have two Pitbulls named Gaston and Bella (boy and girl respectively). They are the most loving of dogs until they sense something is wrong and are very protective of me. People always give Pits a bad name or assume the worse when I tell them about my dogs. Any dog can attack you...all depends on how they were bred and how you interact with it.
​breeding plays a very small role in their temperment (of course there are exceptions to this) it's all in how they are raised.

Last edited:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Some pets are wired wrong or are even dumber than the average dog, those are the least reliable.

It doesn't help when the owners, in rare cases, are sadistic freak who enjoys watching their pets "perform and destroy" people who are simply doing their job.

From that dog bite I had last year, forward, any reasonable size dog that attacks me is going to have to suffer mightily and probably die. ;/

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Some dogs are wired wrong (inbreeding), and some people are sadistic sick bastards (training a dog to fight) but those instances are not as common as the average Joe Blow (or Jane) that simply does not teach their dogs manners. That is very common and very treatable problem. They don't give the dogs proper exercise, they allow the dogs to become the alpha's in the house and THAT is what causes more bites and injuries than the dogs that are wired wrong or the dogs that are trained to fight.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Absolutely!! it is the owners fault. The people the think Vick is a good guy who deserves to be breathing clean air, and the people like him are sick B@$tard$ who are very lucky I'm not their judge or jury. Same with the Amish and the horses. Just one day. Just one day with a sniper rifle. Sometimes, I wish this.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
When talk started of Vick going back to the NFL I didn't think it was right. I believed that he should have been banned for life, much like Pete Rose was banned from baseball. What Vick did was wrong and he was sentenced and served his time. He has earned his second chance.