Dog Deterent

Kraetos

Preload, Loader
I've heard a lot of the drivers in my building talking about their past dog incidents as well as many on this forum. I looked at a few past posts that mentioned several solutions.

1. Dog Cookies

2. DIAD

3. Dog Spray, Pepper Spray, other types of sprays

4. Mini air horn

I searched the internet a little and found these two devices. I was wondering if anyone has used them, the second model is relatively cheap. They are ultrasonic devices that can be attached to a belt. They are above human hearing.

Much easier to carry around than dog cookies, no damage to the newer DIAD versions that are lighter and more breakable. No backfire from sprays on a windy day. No annoyance of the air horn to everyone within a mile radius.

I understand that you are paying hard earned bucks for this, but think of it as an investment for your safety.

Last edited:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I usually just use my DIAD and cram it down their throat if I am attacked. I never do the dog cookie thing, I'm not going to treat a vicious dog. The best thing I have learned, is to not turn my back on one and I will yell at it in a stern voice. If you act scared, they sense it and that just edges them on more. Dogs are pack hunters, they normally will try to get behind you and bite at the back of your leg to bring you down. I have faced down many a dog and walked backwards to my package car. I will take on one vicious dog, but two or more is a no win situation.

Alternative ideas are to use a cell phone if the number is on the package and get the owner out of the house. I have also pulled up next to a car and put the package in a DR bag and set it on top of the vehicle. This isn't the greatest idea, I know of one circumstance where the dogs scratched up the car's paint job trying to get the box and this got a complaint called in. Last week, I backed down a driveway and got as close to the house as possible. I just set the package at the garage door after coming out the back door to avoid messing with "Killer" as much as possible. Once I had a dog jump up in my cab when I was in the back getting a package off the shelf. I picked up a roll of DR bags and beat the crap out of it. He left me alone after that.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Stun gun noise backs them up quick and in a hurry. hahah
So does getting a postcard to go to building to pick it up.

Kraetos

Preload, Loader
Yes but my point is you don't have to get in fights if you use ultrasound. If you don't want to buy this equipment, a simple dog whistle hung around your neck is just as effective as long as it is not cheap and flimsy.

Also, I bought the Dazer Model 2 today on Ebay. I've got a dog in my neighborhood that charges so I'll let you know how it works sometime next week as a reply to this thread. If you don't hear back from me I'm probably dead and won't have to deal with UPS anymore anyway.

Last edited:

pakmule

A roller dog for lunch
Get a can of pepper spray from the mail carrier or postmaster on your route. Make sure when you spray them it hits them in the mouth or nose. Sprayed a pitbull once that hit him in one eye. He still came after me with one eye closed.

Big Babooba

In Florence Massachusetts there is a German Shepherd named Zeuss. Zeuss is missing a couple of teeth. Zeuss crossed the street and attacked me. He got hit square in the chops with my DIAD. I watched his teeth bounce on the pavement. Zeuss never crossed the road to bother me after that day. He would just sit in his driveway and bark. Nuff Ced!

Big Babooba

Get a can of pepper spray from the mail carrier or postmaster on your route. Make sure when you spray them it hits them in the mouth or nose. Sprayed a pitbull once that hit him in one eye. He still came after me with one eye closed.
That's why God gave him two eyes!:happy-very:

backinbrown

respect my authority
i would only hit the dog as last resort they have a job to do also

they are not union, but work as directed and they take there breaks how would you like to be hit in face by customer as you hand them their pkg.

barnyard

KTM rider
1. Write on package "Unable to deliver - Angry dog"

2. Hand to clerk

That is exactly what I do. One house now has all their packages automatically AC'd to where the woman works. The other moved their invisible fence so the dogs cannot go in the front yard.

I do carry dog treats, too. I love dogs and enjoy tossing them treats.

TB

backinbrown

respect my authority
That is exactly what I do. One house now has all their packages automatically AC'd to where the woman works. The other moved their invisible fence so the dogs cannot go in the front yard.

I do carry dog treats, too. I love dogs and enjoy tossing them treats.

TB

dogs on my route no when im there they get a yummy i love it

i look forward to seeing them

if i hear a dog in the house i will leave a treat on a pkg for the owner to give dog

barnyard

KTM rider
if i hear a dog in the house i will leave a treat on a pkg for the owner to give dog

I also do that.

There has been a push in our region to tap the horn at every stop. I am now in the habit of doing it. Some of my regulars say that the horn will wake the dogs up, even if I am 5-6 houses away.

Gonna have to start carrying more dog treats.

BTW, I carry the smallest size, bulk, generic that the local grocery store carries. I suspect that 'dog crack' is one of the ingredients. All dogs LOVE them.

TB