Dog -VS- LL Bean box

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I deliver in a rural area. We have an old colonial home where we leave everything over the gate. They own a german shepard mix and it would not be wise to enter the property. I've been told by former drivers that this is the procedure.

Yesterday we had a snowstorm, so when I arrived the path to the gate was shoveled and I could see him in the back of the property snowblowing the driveway. I leave the package and head out. On my way back, I had a delivery on the other side of the street and I could see and hear the dog barking. As I pulled past their house, I could see ripped up cardboard where I left the package. The guy was still out back snowblowing.

Should I feel remorseful about the delivery since it could have been a xmas gift?

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

The Driver

I drive.
I deliver in a rural area. We have an old colonial home where we leave everything over the gate. They own a german shepard mix and it would not be wise to enter the property. I've been told by former drivers that this is the procedure.

Yesterday we had a snowstorm, so when I arrived the path to the gate was shoveled and I could see him in the back of the property snowblowing the driveway. I leave the package and head out. On my way back, I had a delivery on the other side of the street and I could see and hear the dog barking. As I pulled past their house, I could see ripped up cardboard where I left the package. The guy was still out back snowblowing.

Should I feel remorseful about the delivery since it could have been a xmas gift?

maxresdefault.jpg

Maybe leave in a tied off DR bag next time? Dog would probably get through that anyway though.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
I would try to tie it off at the top of the gate if possible. I recently had situation where a neighborhood dog would go door to door getting shoes, rugs, packages ,etc. I never knew about it until a customer told me.

Indecisi0n

In all honestly I would just keep letting the dog chew it to shreds. Eventually you'll train the customer to change the situation and when he does you can give him a treat.

By The Book

We're told to put in a dr bag and leave outside the gate of homes where dogs are on the inside of gates. Try to make it as secure of a delivery as you can. I once dr'd a package in a bag inside a power gate. It was dark and I was pushing it to get back to make trailer pulls. This place has a long fenced in both sides driveway and I didn't think about their horses that are in the pasture, more like forgot. I saw a cardboard mess on my next delivery, apparently the horse had found a way to get at that package. I should have left it on the other side of the gate where there are no horses.

clean hairy

We're told to put in a dr bag and leave outside the gate of homes where dogs are on the inside of gates. Try to make it as secure of a delivery as you can. I once dr'd a package in a bag inside a power gate. It was dark and I was pushing it to get back to make trailer pulls. This place has a long fenced in both sides driveway and I didn't think about their horses that are in the pasture, more like forgot. I saw a cardboard mess on my next delivery, apparently the horse had found a way to get at that package. I should have left it on the other side of the gate where there are no horses.
I have seen customer complaints on websites where customers are quite upset the item was left on the street side of the fence for anyone to take.
Just can't win!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

maxresdefault.jpg
Nope. It's up to the homeowner to control their pets.

dupa

On-Road Integrated Optimization and Navigation.
I recently had situation where a neighborhood dog would go door to door getting shoes, rugs, packages ,etc. I never knew about it until a customer told me.

We had a german shepard wolf mix 30 years ago, everyday i had to place every loose item from the neighborhood in my front yard before work. That dog would take anything under 40 pounds. once he hit @180 and even a logging chain couldnt hold him. had to give him up. (name was "puppy" are 3 year old named him)

AlliSeeisBrown

One house on my route that has a note at the front gate to leave the parcels just inside the gate. Dog roams the property. Delivered another parcel and noticed one from the day before had been chewed. Started tying DR bag to the top of the fence. Customer met me at the front the next week and appreciated the gesture.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank

I wouldn't. This is not the first time you guys have delivered to this house and it is apparently the way things get delivered. I guarantee 99% of the people who order stuff know exactly what day their crap is supposed to be there and if they can't secure the animal for the day, then too bad. It's on them.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I wouldn't. This is not the first time you guys have delivered to this house and it is apparently the way things get delivered. I guarantee 99% of the people who order stuff know exactly what day their crap is supposed to be there and if they can't secure the animal for the day, then too bad. It's on them.
Because this was a Saturday ground delivery, they could have thought that it would be delivered on Monday.
I agree with your statement otherwise.