domestic partner benefits

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I try to explain that to people but most don't understand or care to take the time to understand. I ask straight people all the time "When did you decide to be straight?" They give me a blank stare and say "What?" So I repeat the question. They say "Well ummm i always just knew. One day i just got turned on by women." I said it's the same way for gays. They don't wake up one day and say "hmmmm I think i'll try sleeping with a same sex person today.

My sister is gay.

In high school, she couldnt be honest with anyone about her sexuality, because anyone perceived as "gay" at that time was at risk of getting the sh&t beat out of them by neanderthal homophobes. She couldnt date anybody. She couldnt dance with anybody. She didnt get to go to the prom. 23 years have passed, and although she is now (relatively) safe in being open about who she really is, she and her partner are still denied a whole range of tax and societal benefits that are available to other couples simply by virtue of the fact that neither one of them owns a penis.

Why is the hell would anybody "choose" that as a "lifestyle"? Its the way she was born!

soberups

What sucks for me about being an advocate for gay rights is that I am also an advocate for gun rights, and in almost all cases the people who support one are opposed to the other.

I guess that makes me a libertarian instead of a Democrat or a Republican.

soberups

Gun rights are relatively safe compared to gay rights.

That is only because gun rights organizations such as the NRA have been around a lot longer and have a lot more money to fight with than gay rights organizations.

Both groups have powerful enemies that are dedicated towards taking their rights away.

When it comes to popular media, the gays actually have it much better than gun owners. Overt discrimination against gay people is no longer socially acceptable in most settings, and there are any number of popular figures in the entertainment world who are openly gay and widely admired. With the exception of Ted Nugent and Tom Selleck, there really arent any well-known and widely admired gun enthusiasts, and most gun owners are portrayed negatively by the popular media as redneck hicks. If a couple of openly gay men walk into a coffee shop in Portland holding hands and hugging they will not even draw a second look (which is as it should be), but if I walk in there openly carrying a firearm I will probably wind up having the cops called on me and I will be asked to leave.

bbsam

Staff member
I think you are forgetting alot of democrats who while they might not be against all gun control, are not against guns. But anti gay on the right seems a whole nother animal. I really do believe that republicans are far more beholden to their fringe elements than democrats are to theirs.

soberups

I think you are forgetting alot of democrats who while they might not be against all gun control, are not against guns. But anti gay on the right seems a whole nother animal. I really do believe that republicans are far more beholden to their fringe elements than democrats are to theirs.

Agreed.

Indecisi0n

Well 407 after doing some more research and calling the benefits line myself. I am here to say I was wrong! There is no charge to an employee who has his/her same-sex couple covered. You will see an"IMP" on your check with a $136.00 next to it but its not a deduction. That simply shows what UPS is paying to cover your DP. So sorry if I came at you in anyway but I wanted to update this thread for future searches.

Go Teamsters.

Well 407 after doing some more research and calling the benefits line myself. I am here to say I was wrong! There is no charge to an employee who has his/her same-sex couple covered. You will see an"IMP" on your check with a $136.00 next to it but its not a deduction. That simply shows what UPS is paying to cover your DP. So sorry if I came at you in anyway but I wanted to update this thread for future searches.

Go Teamsters.
I'm used to it. I work with a bunch of different kind of people who hate me love me and everything in the middle. It is what it is I'm not a steward for the money I do it because I just want to help and I think it might get me into heaven. Ps I still can't find my cat and I'm tired because I'm on pace to work 56 hours this week. Oh yea my kids are sick and my wife is also cranky. Another day in the Nom.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I'm used to it. I work with a bunch of different kind of people who hate me love me and everything in the middle. It is what it is I'm not a steward for the money I do it because I just want to help and I think it might get me into heaven. Ps I still can't find my cat and I'm tired because I'm on pace to work 56 hours this week. Oh yea my kids are sick and my wife is also cranky. Another day in the Nom.

We are living a parallel life, except I don't have a cat.