Donating sick days.

542thruNthru

We have a Driver in one of our centers who's a very nice guy. His wife just recently passed away from cancer this weekend. He's a father of 3 and as you can imagine has a lot on his plate at the moment.

The reason I'm posting this is because the steward that informed me of this drivers terrible lose wishes as I do we could do some thing for this man. I know I've read on here before of centers donating sick time to other drivers when some thing like this happens. I'm wondering if anyone would have any information on how to go about this. My center manager is a ok guy but I'm sure if I leave it in his hands it will fall through the cracks.

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Thanks.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
We have a Driver in one of our centers who's a very nice guy. His wife just recently passed away from cancer this weekend. He's a father of 3 and as you can imagine has a lot on his plate at the moment.

The reason I'm posting this is because the steward that informed me of this drivers terrible lose wishes as I do we could do some thing for this man. I know I've read on here before of centers donating sick time to other drivers when some thing like this happens. I'm wondering if anyone would have any information on how to go about this. My center manager is a ok guy but I'm sure if I leave it in his hands it will fall through the cracks.

Thanks.
I don’t know about donating sick time. But we have had a bunch of guys try and bring in some microwave ready home cooked meals to take home. Goes a long way while he gets his bearings on life without his wife. Easy to heat and feed the kids. Just a thought.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Thanks.

I don't think Upstate accepts PM's, but I seem to remember him asking/mentioning this once.

You could try and see what he learned.

542thruNthru

I don't think Upstate accepts PM's, but I seem to remember him asking/mentioning this once.

You could try and see what he learned.

Hopefully he will break his vow of silence and send me a PM.

Come on Dave it's for a good cause and the guy is a Patriots fan also. ;)

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Hopefully he will break his vow of silence and send me a PM.

Come on Dave it's for a good cause and the guy is a Patriots fan also. ;)
This guy seems to be in an area where sick time can be donated
That is so sad to hear.
Just a suggestion on how the work group can help take care of this driver's family.
In the past in our center we have been able to donate sick time or vacation time in cases such as this. It might be something to consider. Any little bit will help in this time of need.

barnyard

KTM rider
We can donate option days or whole weeks of vacation to another union member, but not to a manager. When I 1st started driving, someone in neighboring center, might have even been @rod 's center was diagnosed with cancer. Enough drivers gave him vacation time that he was able to retire with a 25 year pension.

rod

Retired 22 years
We can donate option days or whole weeks of vacation to another union member, but not to a manager. When I 1st started driving, someone in neighboring center, might have even been @rod 's center was diagnosed with cancer. Enough drivers gave him vacation time that he was able to retire with a 25 year pension.

Wasn't my center but I heard about that

PACNW

We tried to do that out here and couldn't. Had a driver at a nearby center diagnosed with cancer. He needed a certain amount of hours to qualify for his full pension, so his family could collect after his passing (terminal). The surrounding centers wanted to donate sick time to get him to his qualifying hours. Instead they cashed out the donated hours to us to donate to him. It sucked, because he needed the hours, not the money.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Why not just pass the hat while he utilizes FMLA?
If that means cashing in vacation or sick days to make it fit in your budget, doesn't it get you to the same place without trying to get the Company to jump through your hoops?
I hate asking the Company for anything more than I am entitled to.
It allows me to easily hold them to the same standard.

If that means cashing in vacation or sick days to fit it in your budget, doesn't it get you to the same place without trying to get the Company to jump through your hoops?
That's what we do here.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
If that means cashing in vacation or sick days to make it fit in your budget, doesn't it get you to the same place without trying to get the Company to jump through your hoops?

That's what we do here.

Can you take FMLA for a deceased family member?

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Donating sick days can be done. It is just a matter of how much time the Business Manager wants to invest and how well their connection network at Payroll functions. It is merely a matter of deducting a few hours here and adding it to the recipient's bank there. We have done it countless times in our center for various reasons.