Donating to the United Way

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I hope they learned their lesson.

Poor little Nancy can't read the chalkboard in class.
I tend to view it as one less dollar going to the CEO's 1.2 million dollar salary
United Way's challenge: Rebuilding a region's trust | CharlotteObserver.com

And little Jimmy can't get free condoms and little Nancy gets pregnant and Jimmy sells drugs to buy milk for the baby.
Jimmy gets caught and goes to jail and Nancy goes on government dole.

​All because you couldn't give a dollar.

quamba 638

I donated for the first 5 years of employment. Three dollars a week got me a United Way shirt. Then they started getting crazy and pulling everyone to the side and lying to us, saying, "there's kind of a competition going in with your sort aisle to see who will be donating the most his year between you." LOL! I almost lost it knowing the guys I work with. They were the ones who convinced me out out if the UW and into the DESSP. They literally pull us of the sort aisle now and peer pressure us into donating.

A few weeks ago there was a huge banner that said "United Way Kickoff!" They were giving out hot dogs and soda. I can't wait to get pulled of to the side again.

Do they make anyone else sign a paper saying your not donating? They do with us. I asked why, and they said its just to "keep track."

jaker

trolling
I donated for the first 5 years of employment. Three dollars a week got me a United Way shirt. Then they started getting crazy and pulling everyone to the side and lying to us, saying, "there's kind of a competition going in with your sort aisle to see who will be donating the most his year between you." LOL! I almost lost it knowing the guys I work with. They were the ones who convinced me out out if the UW and into the DESSP. They literally pull us of the sort aisle now and peer pressure us into donating.

A few weeks ago there was a huge banner that said "United Way Kickoff!" They were giving out hot dogs and soda. I can't wait to get pulled of to the side again.

Do they make anyone else sign a paper saying your not donating? They do with us. I asked why, and they said its just to "keep track."
do not ever sign anything unless you want to sign it

8Keys

I usually make a little one time donation. A few years back, they had a girl from HR do the begging, and when I told her what I intended to donate she said something like "I think they want everyone to make a *weekly* donation". I said United Way will be happy to take my money when I feel like giving it to them. Maybe she was mistaking me for a part time sup or something?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
United No Way

Brian Gallagher, President/CEO United Way Worldwide $999,574

That salary has risen from around 750k in 2007-2008, IIRC.

Not that any of this is surprising...

But imagine that - a 25% increase off the backs of hard working people like UPS'ers, who need the money.

browntroll

one guy in my hub got tricked by sup telling him normally all the new guys donate $3 a week. so for past year this guy complains everytime he sees his paycheck.
is there a way to get off this even after you decide to donate? one guy told me that he hasnt signed anything but they still try to take united way every year even after
he tells them no.

Rico

You can specify, but the United Way is not obligated to send you money to that specified fund. And they won't, if that fund has reached its United Way funding limit. Its more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

oldngray

nowhere special
At one time I would give a dollar a week because of pressure from management ( sit you in an office with 3 management people trying to convince you to give) but I wised up and stopped giving anything. I give to charities of my choice and I do not choose United Way. UPS just wants that 100% participation to look good for PR but they learned to stop hassling me about giving. I just told them no is my choice with no other explanation needed. One little thing UPS will do to boost their numbers is if you retire they will pay United Way in your name for the rest of the year after you retire at no cost to you (even if you had given nothing previously).

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
one guy in my hub got tricked by sup telling him normally all the new guys donate $3 a week. so for past year this guy complains everytime he sees his paycheck.
is there a way to get off this even after you decide to donate? one guy told me that he hasnt signed anything but they still try to take united way every year even after
he tells them no.

​Yet the same guy spends more than that a day on red bull and cigarettes.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
I feel no pressure. We can select to keep the $ to be used locally, so I do. $3/wk.
i hope it does somebody some good

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I use to donate until the head guy at united way was busted using untied way money for private planes for hookers.. Ever since then, I give all my donations to the Humane society, or a similar organization. United way ? NO WAY !!!!

There are a lot of people.... that haven't forgot that one.

William Aramony - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"On April 3, 1995, after a three-week trial, Mr. Aramony was convicted in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia on 23 counts including conspiracy to defraud, mail fraud, wire fraud, transportation of fraudulently acquired property, engaging in monetary transactions in unlawful activity, filing false tax returns and aiding in the filing of false tax returns."

-Bug-