Donating to the United Way

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.
I have no problem with the CEO pay package. United Way is a global multibillion dollar company and its going to take more than a business major fresh out of college to run it. Highly competent and experienced CEO don't grow on trees and the demand for those so qualified is huge.

United Way does so much good for yours, mine, and the nations communities you'll be hard pressed to find a better organization. Sure you can direct it to a charitable cause like the Boy Scouts but by combining sums from different donors they are able to achieve far more. I think most people don't donate because of selfishness and contempt for those less fortunate. Which just so happens is a highly Republican attitude.

I give to the United Way and you should too.

Check out this Pdf from United Way "Goals, Mission, and Goals."
http://unway.3cdn.net/f122651502d3bbc605_afm6b6f5c.pdf

brownboxman

Yes I believe UPS is involved in UW to boost their public persona, yes I believe every individual has the right to give or not, and I believe the need is great in the world and UW gives people an easy way to donate. I gave every year, some years less, some years more. I believe we make and earn a very good living so helping others is not hard, there just are too many reasons to help others, iMHO.

brownboxman

I have no problem with the CEO pay package. United Way is a global multibillion dollar company and its going to take more than a business major fresh out of college to run it. Highly competent and experienced CEO don't grow on trees and the demand for those so qualified is huge.

United Way does so much good for yours, mine, and the nations communities you'll be hard pressed to find a better organization. Sure you can direct it to a charitable cause like the Boy Scouts but by combining sums from different donors they are able to achieve far more. I think most people don't donate because of selfishness and contempt for those less fortunate. Which just so happens is a highly Republican attitude.

Be careful when you generalize, I am a registered R and I give every year, and I volunteer in my community. Do you?

oldngray

nowhere special

Most Republicans give more to charity than Democrats. For instance Romney gave a higher % than Obama did and Biden gave very little. As for United Way, you can direct your donations to specific causes but that is bogus. It all goes into a general fund and if you order your money directed to a specific organization then that organization will receive less from other sources so its total funding still remains the same. Just playing money games with which pocket they money comes from. I give a lot to charities directly but refuse to support United Way.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
​Gotta love semantics.

How's that Hoax? It's my support, not UPS.

Sorry Hoax, but I don't see the connection with the two. Our wages are private property IMO, unless you are in government. Sure, I work for UPS, but they received my labor to make money themselves, so I guess you might say that UPS is supported by us. We work, make money, nothing is given on both sides.

Anyway, my problem with this whole thing is having only one option, United Way, and how UPS makes it seem as they are the one's handing out the money.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
I give.
My money is directed to the MSF (Multiple Sclerosis Foundation). I called the MSF and I specifically asked if they receive my donations. They receive the donations and I receive a letter from the MSF when UPS cuts a check.

I give to this organization via the United Way because they are not looking for a cure, instead, they help people with MS get durable goods such as computers, ice vests, mobility aids...everything I can purchase for myself because I am an employee of UPS.

I am at peace with my choice and I am comfortable knowing my money supports patients like me.

Legacy Leadership level giver.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
I think most people don't donate because of selfishness and contempt for those less fortunate. Which just so happens is a highly Republican attitude.

Forcing, or attempting to otherwise guilt others into giving away their hard-earned money isn't compassion, its bullying - and that just so happens to be a highly Democratic attitude.

As for me, I've run into burning buildings to save the lives and property of complete strangers on a volunteer basis for the last 14 years. I've risked the chance of my kids growing up without a father and my wife being a young widow, and I just so happen to subscribe to the teachings of the GOP. Now you tell me who is less compassionate, you or I?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Sorry Hoax, but I don't see the connection with the two. Our wages are private property IMO, unless you are in government. Sure, I work for UPS, but they received my labor to make money themselves, so I guess you might say that UPS is supported by us. We work, make money, nothing is given on both sides.

​Bless your heart.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager

Check out this Pdf from United Way "Goals, Mission, and Goals."
http://unway.3cdn.net/f122651502d3bbc605_afm6b6f5c.pdf

​Good point about the Republicans. Lets make this years United Way theme "what would Joe Biden do?"

working up a sweat

They have a pretty neat way of raising money for the United Way at my hub this year. They bring in dunk tank. I am totally serious. They have 3 FT sups running it. You get to pick which sup you want to dunk. A dollar a toss, 5 dollars gets you 6 tosses. It's night shift and it is hard to see in the lights, but all them had towels wrapped around them. They took a few dunks each.​

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
They have a pretty neat way of raising money for the United Way at my hub this year. They bring in dunk tank. I am totally serious. They have 3 FT sups running it. You get to pick which sup you want to dunk. A dollar a toss, 5 dollars gets you 6 tosses. It's night shift and it is hard to see in the lights, but all them had towels wrapped around them. They took a few dunks each.​

They do that here annually as well. We also have other regular fundraising activities such as food (pancake breakfasts, pizza, bake sales, etc.) and silent auctions (for items donated by consumers). I think these are wonderful ideas, but I oppose many other ideas they've attempted to impose that potentially impede on the contract: auctioning off preferred parking spaces, auctioning off the rights to an additional week (non-paid) vacation, etc.

- - -

I don't have a problem with the United Way, although I would encourage everybody to research administrative fees for the respective chapter serving their area. In mine, I consider them to be excessive. I prefer to donate my time, money & excess household items -- and quite honestly, I donate more than the average person, especially time -- to a pair of charities whose purpose is close to me (and also contradicts with the goals of the UW). I don't think UPS management should harass me for doing so either, since they really don't care about anything other than bragging rights to my donations.

EmraldArcher

They did this about 5 or 6 years ago at my hub to raise money as well. I asked if I could just go up and push the lever to dunk my midnight sort manager if I donated $100.

​Money well spent.

As an aside, people who get miffed by the CEO's of charitable organizations making lots of money should watch this:

http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_pallotta_the_way_we_think_about_charity_is_dead_wrong.html

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
They did this about 5 or 6 years ago at my hub to raise money as well. I asked if I could just go up and push the lever to dunk my midnight sort manager if I donated $100.

​Money well spent.

As an aside, people who get miffed by the CEO's of charitable organizations making lots of money should watch this:

Dan Pallotta: The way we think about charity is dead wrong | Video on TED.com

Gotta love the Republican mentality in this country: we can't do good for other people unless we're doing good for ourselves; or we can do good for others if we have a management team with an average salary of $100,000 BUT we can do a lot more good if they're paid $1,000,000; etc.

I donate & volunteer to a local charity. It's primarily a volunteer operation, providing a handful of low-wage jobs to former welfare cases & overall is a co-op that attempts to break even (without high salaries). Nobody's getting rich or living luxurious off of donations, and our zealous, dedicated efforts ensure that every penny donated goes to good use. That's not to say the UW is a poor organization (although many so-called charities are) ... there's just better options.