Don't Let Pets Starve - Include Pet Food in SNAP Benefits!

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Each year, over 40 million low- or no-income people in the United States rely on the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) to help purchase food for themselves and their families.

But what about their pets? Unfortunately, SNAP benefits cannot be used to buy pet food, leaving poor families with pets in a difficult position.

Some argue that people should not keep pets if they cannot afford them, but the fact is that an individual or family's financial status can change at any time. Should someone be forced to give up a pet they've had for years just because they hit a financial rough patch? Or should they be able to utilize federal aid to continue feeding their pet?

Please sign this petition if you think SNAP benefits should extend nutrition assistance to include pet food!

Sign Petition: Don't Let Pets Starve - Include Pet Food in SNAP Benefits!

87,107 SUPPORTERS

90,000 Goal

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Each year, over 40 million low- or no-income people in the United States rely on the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) to help purchase food for themselves and their families.

But what about their pets? Unfortunately, SNAP benefits cannot be used to buy pet food, leaving poor families with pets in a difficult position.

Some argue that people should not keep pets if they cannot afford them, but the fact is that an individual or family's financial status can change at any time. Should someone be forced to give up a pet they've had for years just because they hit a financial rough patch? Or should they be able to utilize federal aid to continue feeding their pet?

Please sign this petition if you think SNAP benefits should extend nutrition assistance to include pet food!

87,107 SUPPORTERS

90,000 Goal

Awful lot of foreigners signed it. Nice that they have a voice in our policies. Glad to see Trump is keeping up the foreign meddling in our country

rickyb

87,107 SUPPORTERS

90,000 Goal
if you really care about animals stop eating them.

we dont treat animals very good aside from eating them either.

also, how many people are going hungry in america? if you cant feed people i wouldnt count on more money going to pets.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Cats are smart enough not to starve----- dogs are dumb.
Owned both over the years and while dogs are smarter (it's easier to train them to do what we want) but I imagine at least 50% of cats could survive in the wild while less than 5% dogs could survive.
Humans changed wild 'dogs' radically via breeding to the extent that domestic dogs are very dependent on humans. If a dog kills something, we tend to kill them out of fear.
Cats took up with humans and humans did not breed cats except for pets.
My cat is able to take care of himself for a week or more being outside. It seems he kills something 2 or 3 times per day.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
5129AEF2-2FD6-43D5-8728-4A43A8375D5C.jpeg
if you really care about animals stop eating them.

we dont treat animals very good aside from eating them either.

also, how many people are going hungry in america? if you cant feed people i wouldnt count on more money going to pets.

MURICA!!

rod

Retired 22 years
Owned both over the years and while dogs are smarter (it's easier to train them to do what we want) but I imagine at least 50% of cats could survive in the wild while less than 5% dogs could survive.
Humans changed wild 'dogs' radically via breeding to the extent that domestic dogs are very dependent on humans. If a dog kills something, we tend to kill them out of fear.
Cats took up with humans and humans did not breed cats except for pets.
My cat is able to take care of himself for a week or more being outside. It seems he kills something 2 or 3 times per day.

I used to piss people off by telling them that when we went on vacation I would throw out some bird feed and the cat would take care of its self. You'd be surprised at the number of people who believed me.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Humans changed wild 'dogs' radically via breeding to the extent that domestic dogs are very dependent on humans.

And, at the same time, those 'domesticated' dogs radically changed the evolution of humans to the extent that we are dependent on them.

Original double standards, Hoax.

rod

Retired 22 years
And, at the same time, those 'domesticated' dogs radically changed the evolution of humans to the extent that we are dependent on them.

Original double standards, Hoax.

How are we dependent on them? I don't see it. Maybe a few who need a service dog but they would be the only ones.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
How are we dependent on them? I don't see it. Maybe a few who need a service dog but they would be the only ones.

Early humans noticed that early dogs would eat their scraps. Early dogs learned that the early humans gave them scraps. Early dogs protected early humans to have access to their scraps.

Hence, dogs to protect livestock, dogs to protect families, dogs to assist in hunting, and so on and so on.

rod

Retired 22 years
Early humans noticed that early dogs would eat their scraps. Early dogs learned that the early humans gave them scraps. Early dogs protected early humans to have access to their scraps.

Hence, dogs to protect livestock, dogs to protect families, dogs to assist in hunting, and so on and so on.

Most every dog I ever ran into in 30 years did none of that. They wagged their tails and looked for a treat----maybe pissed on the tires.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Cats are smart enough not to starve----- dogs are dumb.
Either one will survive just fine eating their dead owner when the food runs out.

My dogs regularly bring me birds and squirrels. They chomp them down when I try to take them away so I just let them romp around showing off their catches now.