Don't vote = a "Yes" vote for you ????

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by SweatPit, Aug 12, 2018.

1. SweatPit

SweatPit i won't bite

Heard this from my union steward. Not sure how much truth there is on it.

Supposedly if you are a current union member and say your address is wrong or you are just lazy and do not vote. Your vote counts as a "Yes" vote on the contract.

2. brown_trousers

brown_trousers Well-Known Member

Its not that cut and dry.

If a non-vote = a yes-vote. Then voter turnout effectively becomes 100%. We would have no chance of voting this contract down.

3. WTFm8

WTFm8 Active Member

Partially.

The company will view a low turnout of votes as those members not having an issue with the contract.

4. Mugarolla

Mugarolla Light 'em up!

Sort of, in a way.

@Bubblehead already posted the language from the IBT Constitution

If less than 50% of those eligible actually vote, than we need a 2/3 majority to turn it down.

So, if enough people don't vote, their non vote is basically a yes because I don't see us getting a 2/3 majority of people actually voting to turn it down.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. zubenelgenubi

zubenelgenubi Well-Known Member

It has to do with the last best and final offer, as per the IBT constitution. With less than 50% voter turn out 2/3's of the voters have to vote no to turn down the contract. *post edit*

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  6. zubenelgenubi

zubenelgenubi Well-Known Member

Here's @Bubblehead's post of the language in the IBT constitution. When I read it before, I thought it was saying rejecting the final offer was an automatic strike, but after rereading it, that may not be the case.

7. BrownRecycler

BrownRecycler Member

If you don't vote, it is NULL and don't counts as if you were never there. Whatever the Steward saying about not voting means Yes is power tripping ignoring the fact that the union members that are sick or incapacitated that were unable to vote are the "blame" .