Doordash picking up UPS packages

10:30 resi

IMG_20221214_164038.jpg

Gross. Is UPS complicit in this? How long has it been going on?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Most of these indirects could be avoided if the customer was prompted to use electronic signature.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Looks like FedEx labels in the top two pictures and USPS in the bottom. I can already see how well this is gonna go. Lol!

nWo

I don't think this is a UPS approved service. I personally don't have enough faith in doordash to trust them with this. Using a 3rd party for services always complicates things.

nWo

People might use this if it's cheaper than getting an ods pickup. But then will stop using it after one of their package disappears before making it to the UPS store.

10:30 resi

I don't think this is a UPS approved service. I personally don't have enough faith in doordash to trust them with this. Using a 3rd party for services always complicates things.
I can see how they would be able to take a prepaid to the UPS store for you without UPS involvement. That was my first thought.

I don't like what doordash is doing here. If Carol is involved I don't like it that much more. And if Carol is I would think a subcontracting grievance can be filed. So I am wondering if anyone knows for sure one way or the other or how I would find out.

nWo

I don't see how this would benefit UPS at all. It's $5.38 to have a doordasher pick up a box off of my porch. It's $13.98 if I request the same pickup from UPS online.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Company cares about costs only, not efficient customer service provided by drivers that are “trained” to handle it.
They’ll learn eventually.
Or not. I still provide the people I deal with customer service and normally take boxes if they have labels made if it’s like a few.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I can see how they would be able to take a prepaid to the UPS store for you without UPS involvement. That was my first thought.

I don't like what doordash is doing here. If Carol is involved I don't like it that much more. And if Carol is I would think a subcontracting grievance can be filed. So I am wondering if anyone knows for sure one way or the other or how I would find out.
I don't like this at all...

Sounds like a creative subcontracting scam from Carol to me. This is the first I'm hearing about this, so I can't help with any knowledge, but I'm looking forward to hearing if anyone else knows anything too.

Thanks for the share.

worldwide

I don't like this at all...

Sounds like a creative subcontracting scam from Carol to me. This is the first I'm hearing about this, so I can't help with any knowledge, but I'm looking forward to hearing if anyone else knows anything too.

Thanks for the share.
Could this really be considered subcontracting? For this service, the consumer, not UPS, is choosing to use the DoorDash service as opposed to taking the package to a drop off spot themselves. It's not like a PVD making a delivery that a UPS driver could have made. In this return package case, there was never an opportunity for a UPS driver to pick up the package unless either the shipper issued a return label or the consumer specifically requested a UPS pickup.

DoorDash isn’t the only delivery company that has worked to offer such a service. Back in 2015, Uber offered a “limited-time” option for customers to send return packages to post offices. The feature was called “Returns” and was powered by UberRush, which shut down in 2018. Similarly, a former on-demand shipping startup called Shyp offered a service that picked up packages and delivered them to their destination. The company ended operations in 2018 after struggling to find a scalable model beyond its launching point in San Francisco. Time will tell if DoorDash has success with this.

With the number of drop off locations available for a consumer to return a package, it seems like this has a limited audience. It's very easy to find a drop-off location for a UPS package. Then again, people want convenience so I'm sure there will be some that find this new option appealing.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Could this really be considered subcontracting? For this service, the consumer, not UPS, is choosing to use the DoorDash service as opposed to taking the package to a drop off spot themselves. It's not like a PVD making a delivery that a UPS driver could have made. In this return package case, there was never an opportunity for a UPS driver to pick up the package unless either the shipper issued a return label or the consumer specifically requested a UPS pickup.

DoorDash isn’t the only delivery company that has worked to offer such a service. Back in 2015, Uber offered a “limited-time” option for customers to send return packages to post offices. The feature was called “Returns” and was powered by UberRush, which shut down in 2018. Similarly, a former on-demand shipping startup called Shyp offered a service that picked up packages and delivered them to their destination. The company ended operations in 2018 after struggling to find a scalable model beyond its launching point in San Francisco. Time will tell if DoorDash has success with this.

With the number of drop off locations available for a consumer to return a package, it seems like this has a limited audience. It's very easy to find a drop-off location for a UPS package. Then again, people want convenience so I'm sure there will be some that find this new option appealing.
If UPS is in any way involved in having packages picked up and transported by non UPS employees, they are absolutely using it as a back door to subcontracting.

If people wish to drop their packages off at UPS or the UPS Store, that's fine. If a package is being shipped, and a courier that is not UPS is involved in moving it, it's blatantly subcontracting. That pickup should have belonged to a union UPS driver.

If UPS is in any way involved in having packages picked up and transported by non UPS employees, they are absolutely using it as a back door to subcontracting.

If people wish to drop their packages off at UPS or the UPS Store, that's fine. If a package is being shipped, and a courier that is not UPS is involved in moving it, it's blatantly subcontracting. That pickup should have belonged to a union UPS driver.
The company is willing to lose money to eliminate jobs

But if they think he's pretty little services are going to work during the strike there sadly mistaken

Amazon and FedEx will be shopping at the bit to suck up on a critical care packages which is our bread and butter
Not some stupid little Amazon return