DOT 30 minute lunch

menotyou

bella amicizia
Sometimes I just break my lunch up. Half hour early in day to collect my thoughts. Then if you need more time for businesses I will bang them out after the 30 min break then take my other half hours.
If you are taking your lunch at the convenience of your businesses, you are kicking yourself in the arse. And, if you are a cover driver, you are slitting your throat. How do you think they are able to cut routes?

Indecisi0n

If you are taking your lunch at the convenience of your businesses, you are kicking yourself in the arse. And, if you are a cover driver, you are slitting your throat. How do you think they are able to cut routes?

I take it at my convenience. If i am doing a route blind it can sometimes be overwhelming. Instead of getting worked up and making mistakes all afternoon i will stop early to eat and listen to some music on my iphone. Then after i have collected my thoughts go again for a little finishing my businesses then take another lunch and recharge before my house stops.

menotyou

bella amicizia
You can take it whenever you like. That is your call. It is, also, the way management wins. It is a ME-STER attitude. I am not harping on you, just pointing out a fact. If everyone took their lunch when the contract calls for and the length of time allotted for it, more FT jobs would have been created. So, if you don't have one yet, look in the mirror as you only have yourself to blame.

Indecisi0n

You can take it whenever you like. That is your call. It is, also, the way management wins. It is a ME-STER attitude. I am not harping on you, just pointing out a fact. If everyone took their lunch when the contract calls for and the length of time allotted for it, more FT jobs would have been created. So, if you don't have one yet, look in the mirror as you only have yourself to blame.

I agree with you but when i am getting overwhelmed and stressed for me its a safety issues and i'd rather take a few mins to settle down. Most forget how stressful it can be being thrown on a route blind.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I agree with you but when i am getting overwhelmed and stressed for me its a safety issues and i'd rather take a few mins to settle down. Most forget how stressful it can be being thrown on a route blind.
I know it very well. The stress can be a killer. I chose to let them eat the time. I won't waste my lunch trying to make an insane situation sane. Bid routes aren't what they use to be, either. I haven't seen one day the same as the last.

Indecisi0n

I know it very well. The stress can be a killer. I chose to let them eat the time. I won't waste my lunch trying to make an insane situation sane. Bid routes aren't what they use to be, either. I haven't seen one day the same as the last.

Explain to me how someone is wasting a lunch when they take it because they need a break?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Explain to me how someone is wasting a lunch when they take it because they need a break?

Some drivers will spend part or all of their lunch hours sorting their loads.

I take my lunch between 1545 and 1630 every day. This works out best for me on my area---I don't care what the cover drivers do--as my deliveries and first round of pickups are done. I live on my area and the pickup stop after my lunch is 5 minutes away.

If we all took our full lunch and break as directed by the contract the company would have no choice but to add areas.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
Well whos going to be the one called into the office? Whos going to be the one who has to answer for it whether its my fault or not? You are EXPECTED to know the IMPOSSIBLE. I know you will say its managements problem, and I totally agree with you. However I dont want to deal with it. We have a center manager who is the biggest jackass the world has ever seen. I dont want to have to go to the union over something that isnt my fault, I just want to show up to work, get treated fairly, get done, and go home. The less time I have to spend talking to management the better! At the end of the day you and I both know they keep all records of everything we do so that if/when something comes up they can come back with OH on such and such date you failed to do blah blah blah.

There are alot of you, and I's in this sentence and it's the very reason why this keeps happening .
I completly understand your point and been in the mess at times.

You, nor I can't work in changing this and other issues we are dealing with, fake, skipped breaks, cut rts., over dispatch, etc...

We have to , ALL , Step up to the plate and focus on these issues on the coming contract. Put pressure on your locals !!!!! Focus on FAIR work Language and not just a sentence on a page !!!!!! solid, pointed , focused , evolved language with the union or other UN-biased to the corp, party involved with our dispatch . and Specific break periods !!!!

No more bonus rts, but instead , penalties , or safety rides for those who BURN A RTE. FOCUSING ON SAFETY AND BREAKS. Not the focus on those who ran less sporh ,unless it's been proven that a higher sporh was done without rollin stop signs, speeding, fake breaks, falsely closong out a pick up that will be done to late or early for COMPLIANCE !!!!!

It has to be US, not you, nor I !!!! Contract 2013 is coming. what do you want for your future, a fatter hourly rate? Or a Real 8-9 hr work day were you know you can get business off, take real , breaks at realistic 1st qtr. mid-day lunch, and 4th qtr of day ??, And be home in time for a real dinner and family time. That's were the $$ truly is !!

If we continue this path and don't step up as a union during B4 this new contract, it won't be your fault , nor my fault ,but it will be OUR FAULT !!

All must stop fake breaks, etc.. and must do the job in a truly safe matter regardless of #'s and get a contract focused on our WORK LOAD, not fatter Hourly. They won't give us both !!
It's either, more drivers and rts. or more pay, we do have economical realities.

Backlasher

You know, I still see quite a few drivers @ center 1-2 hrs. early loading and fluffing off clock, and cooking routes to be home. They are the idiots that are killing us and our union. thats why we also need penalties against those drivers in some form.

It's against UPS policy for workers to be in building sooner then 15 minutes b4 start, And also later then 15 minutes after clock out, Yet it's aloud and even used against those of us that don't. Drivers clock out as soon as they get to center b4 they drop air @ dock, drop will calls, etc.. @ customer service, B4 pulling Hazmats off, park truck in building, and pull send agains off !!!

All to have better #'s and keep managers off their back about overallowed !!!

B.S. we need something real this contract !!!

Backlasher

Maybe we need a 3rd party envolved, like D.O.T. examing the realities of what drivers have to do to meet #'s and not safety !!!

Backlasher

It's good that you do take those minutes, cause in the end, it is a safety issue and not a #'s issue. Salute.

menotyou

bella amicizia
It's good that you do take those minutes, cause in the end, it is a safety issue and not a #'s issue. Salute.
I agree whole heartedly that he should take time to get his head straight. Safety has got to be the number one priority for a driver. I disagree that he should use his own time to do it. If they sent him out on an impossible mission, they should pay for it.

Backlasher

I agree whole heartedly that he should take time to get his head straight. Safety has got to be the number one priority for a driver. I disagree that he should use his own time to do it. If they sent him out on an impossible mission, they should pay for it.

I Agree

Indecisi0n

You are using your lunch to accommodate a practice of sending a driver out blind.

Then i have two choices here. 1) Risk getting hurt from making a stupid mistake because i am overwhelmed in hopes the company will lose time 2) Take a break and relax then continue when i am in a better state of mind.

I don't see how this is a difficult choice. I am still taking my full lunch break. I am safe. I will still be out the same amount of time as if i took a lunch later after my businesses.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Then i have two choices here. 1) Risk getting hurt from making a stupid mistake because i am overwhelmed in hopes the company will lose time 2) Take a break and relax then continue when i am in a better state of mind.

I don't see how this is a difficult choice. I am still taking my full lunch break. I am safe. I will still be out the same amount of time as if i took a lunch later after my businesses.
I agree that you need to be safe first and foremost. That is the number one priority. I am glad you are taking all the time. I am simply saying that accommodating businesses and not taking the break when the contract calls for it(why do you think that clause is in the contract) cuts routes. Period.

I am very glad that you are making sure you are safe. That is the most important thing.

Backlasher

I used to feel this way just leave alone and let me get through the day. Then one time flavor of the week was take all your break. Well I'm not taking it at the end of the day and I'm not working for free so I take it all now. It is managements problem but if u don't want to deal with it that's your problem. We can give u all the advice and tools to more than likely take care of your problem. If you refuse to act not much can be done.

My area, They don't care when you take it, "or put it in " even if @ end of Day.

I say, I DO care. What the Hell is a lunch @ the end of day !!! that not a lunch, thats holding me hostage, I'm freaking clocking out !!!

Lunch mid day or as close as can !

There should be a law against an end of day Lunch !!

2 many drivers in my area do this. Better then nothing I guess, but it doesn't change the problems on the route !!

Backlasher

If the Law says a lunch in 8 hrs then by taken lunch @ end of day people are breaking the law.

Think about it, 10 hr day and lunch not in the 8 hour period. Lunch taken @ end of day is during the 10th hr, not during the 8 hr day.

8 hr. period is a work day. The hours after are during over time, or time Over/after the work day !!!!

It's a technicality that a lawyer could use .

C the big picture .

Backlasher

Wise man once said:

Man can look @ the problems of 2day and ask, Why.
Or.
Man can look towards what the day could B and ask, Why not !!

It's time 2 B forward thinkers and ask, why not !!

2013 contract, forward thinking>>>>>>>>>>>>> B4 our time is up !!!

I'm asking, Why not.