DOT 30 minute lunch

menotyou

bella amicizia
Why do you think he took lunch early today?
Did he work?
There has to be story.

Well, he was on here during that time frame. I do know that. He was posting. As far as how it went down, I have to admit because of the past, I am skeptical. I am interested to hear any details he might give up.

Did it just work out?

Is he going to keep it up?

Why am I interested? :rofl:

All answers I can't answer.

I mean, it's his lunch and he can take it whenever-esp if stuff happens, but considering his opinion on the subject, I think he should stand behind what he says. Just a thought.

I can't explain why I care if he has changed. I guess I am tired of the fighting. I am so hoping this 'change' isn't a stunt. I have enough stress in my life. Too much, actually, so the last thing I wasn't to do on here if fight.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Well, he was on here during that time frame. I do know that. He was posting. As far as how it went down, I have to admit because of the past, I am skeptical. I am interested to hear any details he might give up.

Did it just work out?

Is he going to keep it up?

Why am I interested? :rofl:

All answers I can't answer.

I mean, it's his lunch and he can take it whenever-esp if stuff happens, but considering his opinion on the subject, I think he should stand behind what he says. Just a thought.

I can't explain why I care if he has changed. I guess I am tired of the fighting. I am so hoping this 'change' isn't a stunt. I have enough stress in my life. Too much, actually, so the last thing I wasn't to do on here if fight.

I prefer to fight with him, but I'll give credit where due.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Today was a very light day which is why I was able to take my lunch between 1330 and 1415 (and between 1545 and 1630:wink2:).

Tomorrow will be much heavier which means back to 1545/1630.

Logb17

we have to take lunch by 13:20, uninterrupted! I did it once at 13:21 and got scolded. Don"t your boards lock you out??

AKCoverMan

Just do the math. 31.34 x 5= 156.70 x 52=8148.48 You just gave away over $8000.00 Tell management to pack sand. If you are afraid of them giving you grief you better find another job because no matter how good you are they will hassle you. P.S. I will take the 8 grand

I am all in favor of having lunch every day but taking your hour lunch does not make you 8000 dollars a year unless your local rider calls for a PAID lunch hour.

I do sometimes if working a route that is newer to me or one that I have been away from for awhile and I end up not taking a lunch then I get paid for the hours I worked... and if I take a lunch I still get paid for exactly the hours I worked. I almost never take a 60 minute lunch I would be bored... I don't want to waste 30 mins sitting on my butt in the package car waiting for the clock to tick when I could be getting stops off the car and making money. That 30 mins is much more use to me at the end of day after I clock out.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am all in favor of having lunch every day but taking your hour lunch does not make you 8000 dollars a year unless your local rider calls for a PAID lunch hour.

This is only true if you work 8 hours or less. For example, we start at 0915 and are required to take a 45 minute unpaid lunch. This means that overtime does not start until 1800. If I skip my lunch and punch out at 1715 or earlier I would be paid for 8 hours and would not lose money; however, if I punch out at 1716 or later I am losing a minute of OT for each minute I work without taking a lunch.

AKCoverMan

There is nothing I can see in this new rule that would stop you from going on road in the morning, delivering 5ish hours, take your two 15 minute paid breaks back to back then finish the route without taking an unpaid lunch. But this change seems to be aimed at drivers who go 11 hours nonstop no break no lunch no kidding.

At my center we PCM at 0845 and our NDA commit in the city is noon. On most city routes I run till a bit after noon then take 45 minutes (my first 15 min paid break and a 30 minute unpaid lunch). I usually go find a resturaunt so I am getting out of the PC and sitting down and relaxing a bit... but by 45 mins I am plenty done and ready to go.

I save the other 15 min paid break to hit up a coffee stand sometime in the afternoon.. doesn't seem like this new rule will effect me.

AKCoverMan

This is only true if you work 8 hours or less. For example, we start at 0915 and are required to take a 45 minute unpaid lunch. This means that overtime does not start until 1800. If I skip my lunch and punch out at 1715 or earlier I would be paid for 8 hours and would not lose money; however, if I punch out at 1716 or later I am losing a minute of OT for each minute I work without taking a lunch.

I guess it's another example of things done differently at diffferent locations. If I start at 0915 and do not take an unpaid lunch only the two paid 15s then every minute I work after 1715 IS overtime. If I have over 8 paid hours it's time an a half. Are you saying if you worked 8.75 hours without an unpaid lunch you would only be paid 8.75 hours of straight time. Wouldn't be legal in my state.

Or are you saying if you worked 8.75 hours without an unpaid lunch you would just get 8 hours pay and they would not pay you for the .75? Don't think that would be legal in ANY state.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They take out the 45 minutes whether you take it or not. Working punch to punch (Code 5) as you described doesn't happen here unless you have permission, which is rarely given. This is why the only time it would make sense to skip lunch is if we punch out at 1715 or earlier--punching out later we would lose a minute of OT for every minute we punch out after 1715.

I punch out at 1815 every day, which gives me 15 minutes of OT, with a full lunch and break.

Indecisi0n

They take out the 45 minutes whether you take it or not. Working punch to punch (Code 5) as you described doesn't happen here unless you have permission, which is rarely given. This is why the only time it would make sense to skip lunch is if we punch out at 1715 or earlier--punching out later we would lose a minute of OT for every minute we punch out after 1715.

I punch out at 1815 every day, which gives me 15 minutes of OT, with a full lunch and break.

1815 is considered a half day here.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

I seriously doubt that to be the case.
Since the drivers in California sued and won millions for the practice of taking out lunch whether taken or not, the company has been diligent in paying you for time represented on your diad time card.
That being said, here, management will allow a shortened lunch with prior approval.
I believe this to be an extra-contractual agreement, as our supplemental language requires a half hour lunch.
On the rare occasions that I shorten my lunch, I don't ask.
They have yet to challenge me on it in fear of opening pandoras box.

AKCoverMan

Hmm.. well if they ever put in an unpaid break for time that was actually worked.. that's not just a union issue it's a state wage and hour issue. The company can really be hung out to dry there.. especially with telematics data that proves you were working during the 45 mins they code you as "on lunch".

I'm more interested in how you always get done at the same time every day. OK I sometimes drive five routes in five days but even if I drive same route five days in a row the dispatch is never so dead on the same that I get done at the same time each day.. resis for instance are always heavy on Wednesdays here becuase of 2nd day air. Stop counts vary, size of bulk stops, etc etc..