DOT card expires soon

One time they didn't let me know. They claimed they didn't schedule them for drivers any more. It was just a lousy clerk who kept messing up and they were covering for her. The next time I was due for a physical it was back to the previous procedure where they notified me when I was due for one.

Remember how it was a long time ago where a doctor would come to UPS and give everyone physicals in the evening after they finished their routes? He would mess around and take forever for the first few drivers but when it started getting late he would hustle everyone through in a few minutes.
We used to have them come in the morning. That's was to convient, let's get rid of that.

wayfair

swollen member
It goes beyond snoring now.

If you have multiple risk factors, 2 or more, they will send you for a sleep study anyway even if you say you do not snore,

Snoring
BMI of 35 or higher
Neck size over 17
Over 50
Accident where drousiness may have been a factor
Dozing off while watching TV

You can answer no to all the questions, but if you have a BMI over 35 and neck over 17, or are over 50 and a neck over 17, or are over 50 and a BMI of 35 or higher, you may only get a 3 month DOT card and ordered to a sleep study facility.

This all started the first of the year.

Good luck.

Where are you???

rod

Retired 22 years
We used to have them come in the morning. That's was to convient, let's get rid of that.

Did they show up on time or did they start their day at least a half hour behind like every friggin doctors appointment I've ever had has been? (except at the VA clinic---they are always on time).

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Where are you???

Doesn't matter. It is not a state or local thing. It is federal.

New guidelines issued by the FMCSA to all registered DOT doctors nationwide with the threat of a $10,000 fine for any doctor who gives a driver a DOT card, and this driver is involved in an accident.

If, at the time of the physical, the driver had multiple risk factors and the doctor did not order a sleep study, there is a $10,000 fine to the doctor.

oldngray

nowhere special
Did they show up on time or did they start their day at least a half hour behind like every friggin doctors appointment I've ever had has been? (except at the VA clinic---they are always on time).

Walk in late with a cup of coffee in their hand and in no hurry to get started?

wayfair

swollen member
Doesn't matter. It is not a state or local thing. It is federal.

New guidelines issued by the FMCSA to all registered DOT doctors nationwide with the threat of a $10,000 fine for any doctor who gives a driver a DOT card, and this driver is involved in an accident.

If, at the time of the physical, the driver had multiple risk factors and the doctor did not order a sleep study, there is a $10,000 fine to the doctor.

had mine last month, there was no measuring of the neck/bmi or questions of snoring.

No mentioning of sleep studies.
I'll ask around today. 200+ PC drivers in my building.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
had mine last month, there was no measuring of the neck/bmi or questions of snoring.

No mentioning of sleep studies.
I'll ask around today. 200+ PC drivers in my building.

Is your weight close to normal?

If you're not too much overweight, they won't even measure your neck. Your BMI is calculated using your height and weight. They weighed you during your physical. If your BMI is nowhere near 35, they won't waste their time going any further.

If you're severely overweight and your BMI is 35 or higher, you probably will go through all the measurements and questions.

You have to be obese, feeder drivers, to have a BMI of 35 or higher.

At 6 ft tall, your weight needs to be over 250 lbs to have a BMI of 35 or higher.

I am curious to hear back from you about the 200 drivers and their experience. There was another thread and someone was saying they sent a few of there package drivers to a sleep study based on the FMCSA guidelines.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
they didn't waste their time weighing me, they just asked.

My physical took over 2 hours(lots of patients)

I meant that they won't waste their time pursuing any more sleep apnea questions if you are relatively in shape.

I would also say that the place you went to was the exception to the rule.

Most places will actually weigh you instead of taking your word for it.

wayfair

swollen member
I meant that they won't waste their time pursuing any more sleep apnea questions if you are relatively in shape.

I would also say that the place you went to was the exception to the rule.

Most places will actually weigh you instead of taking your word for it.

talked with OMS, 2 on road supes and 10 drivers so far, never heard of sleep studies being ordered

SmithBarney

They use to schedule them for us, usually at 8AM at a local place, start time at 9AM Don't be late... hah But we were paid 1hr for the time...