DOT hours and second job

Sculpin

I am a part time Air Driver. My second job doesn't involve driving. Let's consider a scenario where I work 60 combined hours (both jobs), Monday through Friday. If on Saturday I work additional hours at my second job ( no driving), am I in violation? I am not putting anybody in danger, as I am not on the road any longer.... I would be sure to comply with 34 hour reset of course.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
If you aren't driving Saturday you are not in violation.

Once the 60 is up you can work 12 hours straight if you want, just not driving. Get your 34 off after you finish up Saturday and you're good to go Monday AM.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am a part time Air Driver. My second job doesn't involve driving. Let's consider a scenario where I work 60 combined hours (both jobs), Monday through Friday. If on Saturday I work additional hours at my second job ( no driving), am I in violation? I am not putting anybody in danger, as I am not on the road any longer.... I would be sure to comply with 34 hour reset of course.

You would be violating the HOS rules but, truth be told, since the violation hours would be at your second job, the probability of anyone finding out are zero to none.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
You would be violating the HOS rules but, truth be told, since the violation hours would be at your second job, the probability of anyone finding out are zero to none.

How is he violating rules? This is no different than a feeder driver coming back right at his 60th hour and having to fuel and break down a set after their hours are up or being asked to shift on the yard because they need help. It happens all the time.

After he finishes driving at UPS Friday he can work as many non-dot hours as he likes as long as he has A) hours available and 10 hours off or B) coming off a 34 hour reset before the next time he drives.

After exhausting hours a 34 hour reset restarts everything. I had to get one mid-week which is why I am now scheduled to work Saturday and Sunday...and I plan to make them both 14 hour days!! Had I wanted I could have had more than 60 hours this week.

This also also no different than in the other thread where the driver said he was forced to go out and help after exhausting dot hours.

Last edited:

over9five

Staff member
Not sure how you'd ever get the '10 HOURS OFF
How is he violating rules? This is no different than a feeder driver coming back right at his 60th hour and having to fuel and break down a set after their hours are up or being asked to shift on the yard because they need help. It happens all the time.

After he finishes driving at UPS Friday he can work as many non-dot hours as he likes as long as he has A) hours available and 10 hours off or B) coming off a 34 hour reset before the next time he drives.

After exhausting hours a 34 hour reset restarts everything. I had to get one mid-week which is why I am now scheduled to work Saturday and Sunday...and I plan to make them both 14 hour days!! Had I wanted I could have had more than 60 hours this week.

This also also no different than in the other thread where the driver said he was forced to go out and help after exhausting dot hours.
^This.

TheMasochist

200 lbs? No problem - it's only my back

Once said driver is back to the building, he/she should immediately leave truck where it sits and clock out.

TheMasochist

200 lbs? No problem - it's only my back
Looks like someone didn't do their DIAD training.
DUDE!! I see so many threads about DOT hours!

It's simple! YOU are solely responsible for YOUR OWN record of hours. YES, UPS is also responsible for the hours you work at UPS, but the record is solely your own!

You CAN NOT work more than 14 hours in a 24 hour period and be able to drive the next day without a 10 hour rest period!

This includes your second, third fourth and fifth jobs!
If you are working other jobs, those hours totally count towards your DOT HOS.

This means, punching in at UPS in the morning at 8:30 and working a full day until 8:30, you have used 12 of your 14 hours. If by some miracle you are able to make it to your second job how ever many miles away by 8:31, you only have 1 hour and 59 minutes of DOT hours left!

If your second job keeps you until 10:31 then you can not punch in until 8:31 the next day.
If you punch in after 8:30 you are now late and forfeit your guaranteed 8.

P

pickup

Unless he got into an accident that involved the killing or injuring of kids or a celebrity.

That Tennessee bus driver who was involved in an accident resulting in kids on his bus being killed was discovered by investigators to have a second job at Amazon. That job's hours are being investigated to see if they interfered with his compliance with dot rules.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Unless he got into an accident that involved the killing or injuring of kids or a celebrity.

That Tennessee bus driver who was involved in an accident resulting in kids on his bus being killed was discovered by investigators to have a second job at Amazon. That job's hours are being investigated to see if they interfered with his compliance with dot rules.

Will that investigation make the kids any less dead?

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Once said driver is back to the building, he/she should immediately leave truck where it sits and clock out.

Why? If you have reached 60 hours obviously you can't drive until you have a 34 hour reset or you have 10 hours off and hours open up and let you work again.

If you are not driving on public roads you can drive or shift on yard as long as you like. We have shifters getting 90 hours a week right now on our yard. It's not how many hours you work in a day, it's making sure you meet the 10 hours off before driving and still have hours available to drive. Obviously, the 10 hours off starts after you punch out from all of your work, not just the driving portion.

The 11/14 rule does not count if you are not driving but any hors worked after the driving hours are up do count towards your 60 hours.

watdaflock?

Interesting in some states that farmers are exempt from DOT rules, during their harvest (peak) season. Seems unfair DOT does not allow exemptions for delivery businesses during their peak.

Matty_lawn

Poopin' on the clock
I don't really understand this. Say I become driver and keep landscaping a bit on the side...if im driving a truck and trailer is that a violation?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
You would be violating the HOS rules but, truth be told, since the violation hours would be at your second job, the probability of anyone finding out are zero to none

No you would not. As long as you are not driving a commercial motor vehicle, you can work as many hours as you want.

Once said driver is back to the building, he/she should immediately leave truck where it sits and clock out

No. He should finish his job, unless he wants to start the next day at the normal time. If he works more than 14 hours, which he can as long as he is not driving, that will push his start time back the next day. He needs 10 hours off before starting the next day or he cannot drive.

No. He's not in violation unless he drives a DOT vehicle after 60 hours.

Correct.

This means, punching in at UPS in the morning at 8:30 and working a full day until 8:30, you have used 12 of your 14 hours. If by some miracle you are able to make it to your second job how ever many miles away by 8:31, you only have 1 hour and 59 minutes of DOT hours left!

Correct. Of DOT driving hours left. If you have a job where you don't drive, you can work there as many hours as you like. But then you obviously need 10 hours off to be able to drive the next day.

If your second job keeps you until 10:31 then you can not punch in until 8:31 the next day.
If you punch in after 8:30 you are now late and forfeit your guaranteed 8.

Correct. If you drive. They could use him as a jumper if he did not have 10 hours off.

If you are not driving on public roads you can drive or shift on yard as long as you like. We have shifters getting 90 hours a week right now on our yard. It's not how many hours you work in a day, it's making sure you meet the 10 hours off before driving and still have hours available to drive. Obviously, the 10 hours off starts after you punch out from all of your work, not just the driving portion.

Sort of.

Shifters, since they do not drive on public roads, are not bound by DOT HOS rules. (If you are a shifter that does drive on public roads, ie, to access a parking lot separated from your hub or building, you are bound by DOT HOS.)

Shifters can work as many hours as they want and do not need 10 hours off before starting the next day.

The 11/14 rule does not count if you are not driving but any hors worked after the driving hours are up do count towards your 60 hours.

Looks confusing, but I think you are saying that since his second job is non driving, he is not bound by HOS and the 11/14 do not come into play. But these hours worked at his second job do count toward his hours for his driving job. He has to include them both in his 14 hours and 60 hours.

Interesting in some states that farmers are exempt from DOT rules, during their harvest (peak) season. Seems unfair DOT does not allow exemptions for delivery businesses during their peak.

DOT does have exemptions for package drivers. Short Haul exemption relating to log books and breaks after 8 hours of work.

It is really very simple.

You cannot drive more than 11 hours without taking 10 hours off. This does not affect package drivers because none, or only a handful, actually drive more than 11 hours. This is driving time behind the wheel only.

You cannot drive after being on duty for 14 hours without taking 10 hours off. This is on duty time, including all breaks and lunches. This also includes any other job you have away from your driving job. Those hours count toward your 14.

You cannot drive after working 60 hours within the last 7 days without taking 34 hours off. This time does not include breaks and lunches. (Some locations have switched to the 70 hour rule within the last 8 days.)

Look what it says...drive. If your past your 60, you can still work. You can preload, jump, etc. Just cannot drive. You then need your 34 hours off after that to drive again.

Same thing with your 14. You can work past 14, just cannot drive. You still need 10 hours off after that to still drive again.

1. All hours from all jobs count toward your DOT HOS regarding when you can drive. Except volunteer work.
2. You are responsible for keeping track of your own hours. If you violate, you will be fined.
3. The Company will also be fined if you violate, so they sometimes help keep you informed of your hours.