DOT Hours of Service

satellitedriver

Interesting question.
The answer is no, but it raises another point.
I might retire next year, as a satellite driver.
The center manager said that if no one bids on my route, the lowest seniority driver will be forced to drive down in his personal vehicle and run the satellite route.
This person will have the right to deduct their personal mileage on their taxes, per IRS rulings,, or force UPS to pay mileage.

bluehdmc

Interesting question.
The center manager said that if no one bids on my route, the lowest seniority driver will be forced to drive down in his personal vehicle and run the satellite route.
This person will have the right to deduct their personal mileage on their taxes, per IRS rulings,, or force UPS to pay mileage.

I think that only would apply (the tax deduction) if the driver reported to one location then drove to the second.

satellitedriver

I think that only would apply (the tax deduction) if the driver reported to one location then drove to the second.

Since the driver did not bid on the route,
their home base/location is the center.
The company demands that the employee drive their personal vehicle, to an off site location.
Per IRS rulings, if one has to use his personal vehicle to travel from his work location to preform his job duties, then the employee can deduct the mileage or actual cost.
Only the mileage from point A-(the center)
to point B-(the satellite center)-
would be deductible.
As I said, a very interesting question.

Interesting question.
I would hate to derail this interesting thread but why wouldn't someone bid on your route? All satellite routes by me are sweet. How many stops & miles if you don't mind me asking.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Here, if the driver of a satellite route doesn't hold a bid on it, they have the option to drive to the route in their personal vehicle or report to the building in which they are domiciled and shuttle out and back with the driver who pulls the TP60 trailer. This more than likely varies per local agreement.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
My satellite route averages around 80 delivery stops with 140 packages & 6 pick up stops. Put on around 185 miles per day. It is SWEET!

bluehdmc

If the driver reported to the building where they were domiciled and rode with the shuttle driver, I think that would be considered "on duty" time. Which was the OP's question.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Interesting question.

If you are being paid to get there you count it, if not you do not. Mileage pay does not count towards hours of service. Here the cover drivers have the option of riding with the shuttle driver to the satelite center. In that case, they are on the clock and should count it towards HOS. They may also drive there own vehicles out, and get mileage reimbursements. in that case it does not.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
If a sat driver drives a UPS vehicle to the meet point, then his hours of service begin as the vehicle moves.

If a sat driver leaves the center in a UPS vehicle, but not driving, I cant see why that driver would ride along without being on the clock. In the event of an accident, the person off the clock would be a serious issue for UPS and the DOT.

BUt normally, the time it takes you to drive to the meet point is not considered working time. It would be no different than having to drive two hours to the center, then two hours back home each day. That does not count as hours of service.

d

menotyou

bella amicizia
If you are in the service of UPS, you get paid. Driving from home to work, you don't. If you are riding in the jump seat, you should be on the clock. I don't see a 1z on your back.

hypocrisy

Banned
If the driver reported to the building where they were domiciled and rode with the shuttle driver, I think that would be considered "on duty" time. Which was the OP's question.

This is a correct answer. If the driver reports to his domiciled location, then drives or rides to the satellite location, that would be paid-for-time and on-duty time. If the driver is called and ordered to report directly to the satellite location, then this is not considered paid-for-time or on-duty time (however, there may be an allowance for pay if the start time is different than the posted one in the original center depending on what time you are notified, and mileage allowance).

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Here, if the driver of a satellite route doesn't hold a bid on it, they have the option to drive to the route in their personal vehicle or report to the building in which they are domiciled and shuttle out and back with the driver who pulls the TP60 trailer. This more than likely varies per local agreement.

Sounds like a stupid plan. The saving comes from reducing driver to and from hours.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Sounds like a stupid plan. The saving comes from reducing driver to and from hours.

It is a stupid plan, at least for the ones in my building.

None of our local management people wanted to implement the satellite centers (my building has 3) but some idiot from IE or Corporate mandated them and now we are stuck with them.

The mileage that is "saved" by the satellite routes is merely transferred to the adjacent routes that are forced to break trace in order to haul the trailer out and back, or make service on the NDA packages that the driver with the trailer cannot get to by the commit time. Getting the trailer back to the building in time to process the volume at night is an ongoing logistical nightmare. It gets even worse when one or more of our hitch cars gets pulled for repairs, or when a driver in the affected loops puts in for an 8 hr gurantee. And when one of the satellite drivers is sick, takes an optional holiday or goes on vacation....his replacement gets paid for the time and mileage to drive from our building out to the center and back, meaning that the supposed "savings" of time and miles only apply for about 44 or 45 weeks out of the year anyway. Factor in the cost of renting a fenced-in parking area, the expense of maintaing the trailers and equipping the pkg cars with trailer hitches, the additional $.25 per hour paid to the driver who pulls the trailer, and the duplication of labor involved in handling the packages twice (preload loads the trailer, the driver then loads his own car, and in the evening it is reversed) and we are losing money on the damn things. But since getting rid of the satellites would first require an admission on someone's part that they were wrong, we are going to be stuck with them until whoever had the bright idea in the first place either retires or dies.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
We have 2 satelite centers here. I heard yesterday they are in negotiations with the Union to bring one of them back. We brought up all the same things you just cited at the time of implementation, but as you said, some desk jockey looking to justify his/her job, sharpened their pencil up real sharp and pulled the wool over the sheep below him until it was made to happen. Now they want to bring one back!! I hope the Union says NO WAY, you made your bed, now lay in it!!!!

satellitedriver

I would hate to derail this interesting thread but why wouldn't someone bid on your route? All satellite routes by me are sweet. How many stops & miles if you don't mind me asking.
You ask an honest question, and here is the answer.
Sweet?, not even close.
My average paid day is 10 hrs.
I load my car in a WalMart parking lot.
Rain, shine.sleet or snow.
I have no bathroom facilities.
I park my truck on a gravel lot at a tire store.
The trailer is used as an overflow valve, if other drivers are too heavy the center just put the bulk it into the trailer and pick it up later.
It has become a bad joke.

You ask an honest question, and here is the answer.
Sweet?, not even close.
My average paid day is 10 hrs.
I load my car in a WalMart parking lot.
Rain, shine.sleet or snow.
I have no bathroom facilities.
I park my truck on a gravel lot at a tire store.
The trailer is used as an overflow valve, if other drivers are too heavy the center just put the bulk it into the trailer and pick it up later.
It has become a bad joke.
that sucks hopefully you have some nice scenery to look at. There was also one other positive that would outway some of the bad. Not having to see the people you work with at ups.