DOT physical

"Phil"

Passed my physical. Accepted employment as a Feeder Driver, start 22 or 30 May for two weeks of training, then on my own. Looking forward to a great UPS career. Thanks to all for your information, words of encouragement and the nitty gritty of UPS in general. God speed. See you on the road!!! Drive safe. Have a wonderful Mothers Day weekend.

trickpony1

Congrats! You may still have a probationary period.
Be safe and if it was a "hot load" they should have thought about that earlier.
Be safe. The cemetery is full of heroes.

"Phil"

Congrats! You may still have a probationary period.
Be safe and if it was a "hot load" they should have thought about that earlier.
Be safe. The cemetery is full of heroes.
Yes, 30 working days probationary period, and training days don't count.

muthatrucka

Passed my physical. Accepted employment as a Feeder Driver, start 22 or 30 May for two weeks of training, then on my own. Looking forward to a great UPS career. Thanks to all for your information, words of encouragement and the nitty gritty of UPS in general. God speed. See you on the road!!! Drive safe. Have a wonderful Mothers Day weekend.
Remember, schedules are based on perfect days. Also, there are no perfect days in feeders. It's better do a proper pretrip, take your time and get it right than to be fast and have an accident or hurt someone. Good luck.

P

pickup

In our building the saying is, "there's no luck in feeders."

A little luck never hurts . I remember one time being on the cross Bronx expressway(I-95 in the Bronx) and a construction vehicle ahead of me and to the right of me parked on the shoulder to join the other parked construction vehicles , he was the last in line.

Traffic was moving about 10 miles an hour and about 7 seconds after the guy got out of the construction truck, it became obvious that he forgot to engage his air brake. It started rolling backwards and it was going diagonally across traffic . I saw what was happening immediately and hit my brake but if you mentally continued that straight diagnol line the truck was traveling ,it would have hit me in the middle lane.

But then as it continued to move , it started hitting bumps and each bump changed the trajectory a bit and it looked like it might just miss me and go into the third lane.

And that's what happened and it totaled a Volkswagen Jetta.

Now that was lucky but on the other hand I was paying attention and was able to brake immediately so I guess luck does favor the prepared mind.

Shiftless

Congratulations, YEE HA exciting times for you! Altho I am retired I don't think some things have changed. I was in Feeder for 26 plus years. If you were a Pkg Driver prior to going into feeder? If there ever was a time to tell you to SLOW down, its NOW! That doesnt mean screw the company, just work your methods you are taught and get their safely and intact. I've seen many short cuts get a driver fired! It is up to dispatch to give you enough time to get you to your destination. You cant control Fog, Rain, Sleet, Snow, Traffic accidents. All you control is doing the job with your HEAD IN THE GAME! Probably gonna work nights and odd shifts for awhile so get use to it! Make sure you get the rest you need! Eat properly! And do your pre and post trips! Dont screw the guy after you by leaving him a flat or busted piece! Trust me! You will see, where someone Dragged a light cord, Dropped a gear on a hose, let a gear into a gear pile and snap off a glad hand. Dont be that driver if you can. Sure stuff happens. HAVE FUN!

"Phil"

Congratulations, YEE HA exciting times for you! Altho I am retired I don't think some things have changed. I was in Feeder for 26 plus years. If you were a Pkg Driver prior to going into feeder? If there ever was a time to tell you to SLOW down, its NOW! That doesnt mean screw the company, just work your methods you are taught and get their safely and intact. I've seen many short cuts get a driver fired! It is up to dispatch to give you enough time to get you to your destination. You cant control Fog, Rain, Sleet, Snow, Traffic accidents. All you control is doing the job with your HEAD IN THE GAME! Probably gonna work nights and odd shifts for awhile so get use to it! Make sure you get the rest you need! Eat properly! And do your pre and post trips! Dont screw the guy after you by leaving him a flat or busted piece! Trust me! You will see, where someone Dragged a light cord, Dropped a gear on a hose, let a gear into a gear pile and snap off a glad hand. Dont be that driver if you can. Sure stuff happens. HAVE FUN!
I appreciate the words of wisdom from a retire Feeder driver. I will heed this words as sound advice from someone you knows and carry the torch the best I can. I congratulate you on your retirement, hope your enjoying every second. I will do the job the best I can. No, I am not from Pkg. I was fortunate enough to be hired off-the-street.

MrFeeder

Congrats, just wondering what did you have to test on at the dmv to get the permit? Was it just general knowledge?

muthatrucka

Insider tip #1. When you thump the tires of a trailer being loaded into, the employee inside the trailer will always either throw down a box hard in order to make a loud noise or they will bang the walls of the trailer like a monkey. Don't be alarmed as they have nothing better to do and tons of frustration to get out.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I appreciate the words of wisdom from a retire Feeder driver. I will heed this words as sound advice from someone you knows and carry the torch the best I can. I congratulate you on your retirement, hope your enjoying every second. I will do the job the best I can. No, I am not from Pkg. I was fortunate enough to be hired off-the-street.
I agree with Shiftless. Also retired and I mentored new drivers. Always told them to take their time and do it right and don't worry about every other feeder driver going faster than you.

Experienced feeder drivers can be safe and do things a lot quicker than you only because of years of repetition. You'll do things quicker with experience.

If you are not sure about something, stop and get out and check or start over.

Don't worry about pressure from dispatchers and feeder management that try to make you go faster. Just tell them that you are doing the best you can and trying to be safe. that should work.

Stay focused on the task on hand and try not to think too far ahead. If you do this, everyday will take care of itself and you will get through your probation safely.

At our hub the probation was 30 days but a driver could still have 2 minor accidents in the first 90 days.

When A new driver got into an accident within the first 90 days they would send them with me.

Almost 100% of the time I found that the driver was trying to keep up with everyone else or just not taking their time to do it right. I taught them to settle down and invariably they did very well from then on.

When you eventually make and it sounds like you will you'll be part of an elite group of people. Trucking pros consider the UPS feeder driver as being some of the best and safest drivers in the world.

It is something to be proud of and rightly so.

"Phil"

I agree with Shiftless. Also retired and I mentored new drivers. Always told them to take their time and do it right and don't worry about every other feeder driver going faster than you.

Experienced feeder drivers can be safe and do things a lot quicker than you only because of years of repetition. You'll do things quicker with experience.

If you are not sure about something, stop and get out and check or start over.

Don't worry about pressure from dispatchers and feeder management that try to make you go faster. Just tell them that you are doing the best you can and trying to be safe. that should work.

Stay focused on the task on hand and try not to think too far ahead. If you do this, everyday will take care of itself and you will get through your probation safely.

At our hub the probation was 30 days but a driver could still have 2 minor accidents in the first 90 days.

When A new driver got into an accident within the first 90 days they would send them with me.

Almost 100% of the time I found that the driver was trying to keep up with everyone else or just not taking their time to do it right. I taught them to settle down and invariably they did very well from then on.

When you eventually make and it sounds like you will you'll be part of an elite group of people. Trucking pros consider the UPS feeder driver as being some of the best and safest drivers in the world.

It is something to be proud of and rightly so.
Thank you very much for the vote of confidence.

muthatrucka

Insider tip #2. Plan on working every Friday night, Sunday night or early Monda. Also as late before a holiday and early after the holiday as possible. We've all done it, and yes it sucks. No you don't get holiday pay if you start at 11:59 the day(minute) before the holiday.