DOT to Non DOT

MassWineGuy

If they switch you at Express from DOT courier to non DOT, are they required to notify you? I was (switched) and wasn't (notified).

Oldfart

It was explained to.me the DOT/ NONDOT is a Fdx classification, not to be confused with your government classification
I was moved to. NONDOT even though I am a RDT. I have a Class A and and drive a variety of vans and trucks.

MAKAVELI

It was explained to.me the DOT/ NONDOT is a Fdx classification, not to be confused with your government classification
I was moved to. NONDOT even though I am a RDT. I have a Class A and and drive a variety of vans and trucks.
I think you're mistaken. Non DOTStatus means you don't have to have medical card but you cannot drive anything larger than a sprinter.

DeliveryException

I think you're mistaken. Non DOTStatus means you don't have to have medical card but you cannot drive anything larger than a sprinter.

Which can be nice when they try and draft you for a bulk pickup route that requires a 900. My route uses a sprinter but I'm still DOT so I don't get to use that excuse. Yet

MAKAVELI

Which can be nice when they try and draft you for a bulk pickup route that requires a 900. My route uses a sprinter but I'm still DOT so I don't get to use that excuse. Yet
From my experience most that haven't been switched is because at some point they will have to drive in bulk pickup /delivery /shuttle or they simply don't have enough smaller spare trucks.

Oldfart

That isn't the way it is done at our station. Most have a CDL and a Medical card with no regard to how FDX classifies us. We were told that regardless of how FDX classifies you, the CDL and medical card is the documentation that determines the vehicles you are allowed to drive.

You are saying even though I have a Class A CDL with a H,P,T endorsements, I am not supposed to drive anything bigger than a Sprinter because FDX has me down as NONDOT? I don't believe that is correct.

MAKAVELI

That isn't the way it is done at our station. Most have a CDL and a Medical card with no regard to how FDX classifies us. We were told that regardless of how FDX classifies you, the CDL and medical card is the documentation that determines the vehicles you are allowed to drive.

You are saying even though I have a Class A CDL with a H,P,T endorsements, I am not supposed to drive anything bigger than a Sprinter because FDX has me down as NONDOT? I don't believe that is correct.
If you have a cdl you are dot. Your route may be designated as a non dot but you are.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
If you have a cdl you are dot. Your route may be designated as a non dot but you are.

If your position is that of a non-DOT courier, you aren't to drive anything larger than a Sprinter even if you have a medical card and CDL. Legally you can do it, but not as far as FedEx is concerned. Not to say that they don't fudge it every now and then.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American

Well, at my station, when I was reassigned as non-DOT, I was informed by management that I was no longer qualified to drive anything over 10,000 lbs. GVW. I promptly renewed my CDL/Haz to Class C (much less expensive).
Someone in management has the wrong information.

Oldfart

Nope. I am in the system as NONDOT. Been that way a few years. I found out when I renewed my CDL and was told in the future, the company would not pay the difference between a regular license and my CDL. Still have a medical card and just had a physical about 2 months ago.

Some how they pay me RTD pay but have me NONDOT. Seems like a contradiction but I don't ask questions.

Last edited:

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Well, at my station, when I was reassigned as non-DOT, I was informed by management that I was no longer qualified to drive anything over 10,000 lbs. GVW.

You are correct. Legally, yes. FedEx policy, no. Can't drive outside of your classification, not that it doesn't happen in a pinch if you're legal.

MAKAVELI

Nope. I am in the system as NONDOT. Been that way a few years. I found out when I renewed my CDL and was told in the future, the company would not pay the difference between a regular license and my CDL. Still have a medical card and just had a physical about 2 months ago.

Some how they pay me RTD pay but have me NONDOT. Seems like a contradiction but I don't ask questions.
What part of DOT regs don't you understand? Non DOT means less than 10,000 GVWR. If you drive a FedEx truck greater than 10,000 GVWR, you are DOT. I would expect someone with a class A to know something so basic.

MAKAVELI

Are you a CTV driver?

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
What part of DOT regs don't you understand? Non DOT means less than 10,000 GVWR. If you drive a FedEx truck greater than 10,000 GVWR, you are DOT. I would expect someone with a class A to know something so basic.
If your black you need the paperwork. White guys don't need that crap. We do what we want. When we want to do it. #Merica

Oldfart

What part of me being in the system as NONDOT do you not understand Tupac? I would figure a fella as intelligent as you THINK you are to know something as simple as that.