Double pay

cachmeifucan

So ups cach facility has been working on Saturday's. regularly they pay us time and half. But 2 Saturday's ago they offered double pay to everyone. My question is this now a past practice. It's back to time and half this Saturday. Rumors are 4 more Saturday sorts and others say we are caught up and this Saturday is the last one. Our building has been getting slammed since this covid started.

cachmeifucan

I looked briefly at the union book couldn't find any language on past practice so would anyone know what category article. Remember I'm 705 so its seperate from national

rod

Retired 22 years
So ups cach facility has been working on Saturday's. regularly they pay us time and half. But 2 Saturday's ago they offered double pay to everyone. My question is this now a past practice. It's back to time and half this Saturday. Rumors are 4 more Saturday sorts and others say we are caught up and this Saturday is the last one. Our building has been getting slammed since this covid started.
I would think it takes more than a one time shot to claim something as "past practices".

shalang

Supervisors will say things like "Do you want to go home? Go home and I'll give you 4 hours guarantee."

Hourlies think it's free money but dont realize that you voluntarily choose to go home which ends up forfeiting any guarantee. If you even do get paid, you'll get it from your entitlements (if you even have any) and if you are a newbie, your entitlement is 3 and a half hours.

cachmeifucan

I went to work today a d the TV monitor in the gaurd shack that everyone walks in and out of said come join us on Saturday for double pay. They said it was a mistake . I say it was a expensive mistake

ON3/\L

1-Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.
2- everything is subject to change without notice.

I figured this out like my first week at ups lol. I just passed my driver training and testing. My supervisor mentioned “6 punch” or what I took as “Saturday” shift and he said they were paying double time... he thinks lol. I’ll believe it when it’s on my pay stub

JJinVA

Time and a half for a 6 punch. And the saying goes "Believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see", but to each his own. Its your story you can tell it however you want to. *shrug*

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
1-Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.
2- everything is subject to change without notice.

I figured this out like my first week at ups lol. I just passed my driver training and testing. My supervisor mentioned “6 punch” or what I took as “Saturday” shift and he said they were paying double time... he thinks lol. I’ll believe it when it’s on my pay stub
In addition to what @JJinVA said, sixth or seventh punches do not necessarily mean Saturday. Some people are Tuesday through Saturday, which means that they would get straight time on Saturday.
However, if they were required to come in on Monday, that would be their seventh punch. (Double time, for my contract.) Without having to work Sunday at all.

It depends on what your scheduled days are.

If you use management for ANY of your contract interpretations EVER, you're going to get screwed. Find your steward, and make friends with him.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
In addition to what @JJinVA said, sixth or seventh punches do not necessarily mean Saturday. Some people are Tuesday through Saturday, which means that they would get straight time on Saturday.
However, if they were required to come in on Monday, that would be their seventh punch. (Double time, for my contract.) Without having to work Sunday at all.

It depends on what your scheduled days are.

If you use management for ANY of your contract interpretations EVER, you're going to get screwed. Find your steward, and make friends with him.
I believe 705 has language that Saturday is auto time and a half. Unless it’s changed with recent contracts.

Waldo

705 is automatic time and half on both Saturday and Sundays for PT. If your FT then it’s double time on Sundays. If they offer more it’s a rare occasion and just means they are desperate for that specific date.