Double Trip

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What does the term "double trip" mean to you? I was always under the assumption that anytime you had to go back to the center during the day, whether for late air or for work that would not fit on the car, it was considered to be a double trip, whether you kept your pkg car or swapped out cars, with the times entered in to the DIAD.

I had a light day on Thursday and after making a sweep of all of my pickups I went back to the center to dump and go back out. I kept the same car and entered the times in the DIAD. I did this because I knew that I didn't have 8 hours of work and the allowance for the double trip would have put me over 8, which it did, just barely. My center manager pulled me aside yesterday morning and asked me about the double trip. After I told him he said that we can only enter double trip if we are directed to come back to the center AND if we swap package cars.

What is your center's definition of double trip?

oldngray

nowhere special
Double trip is when you go back and then take out another package car. You shouldn't get more than one left and return to building time allowance for the same car. I got screwed by that many times by having to go back to the building to pick up late packages messing up my planned day.

UPSGUY72

A second trip is when you changes package cars... In the end it really shouldn't matter or should I say it only matter to some idiot in management worried about numbers that don't have a real purpose other than to justify them having a job....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have always been told to put in the times for a double trip whether we changed cars or not.

Suppose we have late air and I spend 15 minutes at the building waiting for them to finish processing it. Am I just supposed to eat that time?

Box Ox

Last time I was talked to about multiple trips I was told to enter each trip as a new vehicle with its own mileage. Even if it's the same package car.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
When I "two trip" as we call it, I put an in building time, punch in my ending mileage, do what I have to do and then when I leave I do it as I friend I am just leaving the building. When you enter a new leave building time the Diad prompts "new mileage must be entered even for same vehicle"

You must have a good reason and mgmt. approval to 2 trip on my center

ManInBrown

Am I just supposed to eat that time?

What do you mean by "Eat that Time?" Why would you care? Punch in, perform work functions, punch out, cash check.

Anytime I go back to the building and go back out, it's a double trip. Even if I use same car. Or if I meet a driver and am told to swap cars and bring in that drivers pickup pieces it is a double trip. I've never been spoken to. Same car or not

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I would have called my Sup and asked him what he wanted me to do.
Even in management, this is the best course.
In the occasions where I exceeded my authority, my management made the same decision I made (except a couple) but they wanted to make that decision if they were going to held accountable for it.
Most times, it was simply that they wanted to be aware of the situation and decision.

Z

ZQXC

What does the term "double trip" mean to you? I was always under the assumption that anytime you had to go back to the center during the day, whether for late air or for work that would not fit on the car, it was considered to be a double trip, whether you kept your pkg car or swapped out cars, with the times entered in to the DIAD.

I had a light day on Thursday and after making a sweep of all of my pickups I went back to the center to dump and go back out. I kept the same car and entered the times in the DIAD. I did this because I knew that I didn't have 8 hours of work and the allowance for the double trip would have put me over 8, which it did, just barely. My center manager pulled me aside yesterday morning and asked me about the double trip. After I told him he said that we can only enter double trip if we are directed to come back to the center AND if we swap package cars.

What is your center's definition of double trip?

Instead of making a sweep of your pickups (busy work to fill the void), why didn't you help another driver who didn't have a light day?

Aside: I haven't seen a light day in years.

In the occasions where I exceeded my authority, my management made the same decision I made (except a couple) but they wanted to make that decision if they were going to held accountable for it.
Most times, it was simply that they wanted to be aware of the situation and decision.
I agree. I know what I can and should do but always ask.

upschuck

Like when to spin around in your chair?

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

The reason he was talked to is he came back to the bldg not because he had to....he came back to stretch out his day.......he wasted company time just to try and make numbers......he should have called the center to see what they wanted him to do instead of coming back to the bldg for no reason

upschuck

The reason he was talked to is he came back to the bldg not because he had to....he came back to stretch out his day.......he wasted company time just to try and make numbers......he should have called the center to see what they wanted him to do instead of coming back to the bldg for no reason
That was generally encouraged to make the sups look good.