DQ FOR ABSOLUTE BULL:censored:

Jimmyb31

I was DQ'd today because yesterday I was at a business at 4:00pm and they were closed. Sign in the door said they were opened until 6:30pm I went next door and they said nobody has shown up today. I had 23pkgs for them. I scanned one I entered NI1 and put the notice on the door. That was at like 4:12. It didn't release from my board. So I called my supervisor and asked him why it didn't. He told me I had to sheet up each pkg. I said ok so then he asked me what time I would be done. I told him about 6:30pm. He told me to go ahead and go and swing back by to see if they were there later and if not sheet them up then. I'm only on my second week and I was never trained that we had to have our business sheeted up by 5pm. My trainer and I never ran into that problem so I'm assuming he just didn't think to share it with me. Anyway so I went back at 6pm and still nobody there so I sheeted them all up as NI1 and left. I get in this morning and they told me I missed 23pkgs yesterday and the DQ me. When I mentioned that another SUP told me to go ahead and leave they didn't say a word. Basically he never admitted to talking to me. I have to call log in my phone to prove it. I also have proof i was there well before 5 bcuz I sheeted up the one box and scanned a delivery notice. So I was there when I was suppose to be. As a supervisor he should of told me to sheet them up right them and there bcuz it would be after 5 when I went back. They must think I'm stupid bcuz I was a transportation manager for 10yrs before I went to UPS. I'm a off the street hire. I had 90 driver and 3 sups under me. I got tires of the 24-7 grind and UPS in the long run will pay way better plus the benefits. I have a few people who have some decent pull around there that are going to try and get me back in bcuz it literally is bull:censored2:. Before this I have not had one missed pkg not one late air. NOTHING of any sort of issues. I've been doing great. I just wanted some of your thoughts on this. Please save any smart ass comments it's not really the best day of my life right now. I left a good job to do this. Thanks.

JB

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
That sucks...hope you get your job back. Big point to remember... Always cover your ass. Yes...you can prove you were there before 5pm....and prove that you spoke to your sup. You cannot prove what he told you over the phone....and no doubt he'll deny saying it. Use the DIAD to communicate whenever possible. That way you can take a pic of the diad message and CYA.

Get to know a few of the old timer drivers in your center....many of them don't mind advising a newbie driver. And you'll have someone reliable to call if you find yourself in a situation and are unsure of what to do. Oh....and repay favors with beer..it's like brain medicine for the old timers....lol. Good luck.

Last edited:

Overpaid Union Thug

If he had signed a form stating that he agrees to go into management (which is what UPS has resorted to doing with off the street hires now) sometime after qualifying as a driver his missed pieces would have likely been forgiven. I've seen a driver that was on the "fast track" to management keep their job after committing two cardinal sins in the same day.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Last edited:

oldngray

nowhere special
Sheeting a closed business after 5 as missed is basic methods. It should be something learned on Day 1. Should have also known to sheet all packages the first time you were there but since records show you were there before 5 you do have a legitimate gripe. It sounds like a sup blew it and is trying to cover his own backside by shifting the blame to you. If you had seniority it would clearly be something you could protest but sadly in those first 30 days UPS can DQ someone for almost anything and the trainee can do little about it.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Totally sucks man. This should be where the on car sup steps up and admits he told you to do that. Doesn't seem like it's going to happen though...and since you're in your 30 days, I'm not sure what the union can do for you. For sure don't go in with an attitude or they'll feel justified in Dairy Queening' you. Talk to the center manager again about what happened and do apologize that it happened (it did happen, but you're not apologizing for working as directed just that it happened) and do say that you were working as instructed. If after all that happens and they still want to DQ you, see if you can talk to your BA or a good steward and see where you go from here. Best thing you can do is not paint a target on your back. Good luck!

Jimmyb31

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm totally man enough to accept the fact that if I had known to do it the right way this would of never happened but I was just following the orders I was given. Evidently it was the wrong choice. I talked to the union steward and the business agent and they were not happy about they way it went down at all and both of them said they were going to talk to the manager. I hope it works out. For my family sake more than mine.

JB

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
I am sorry for your situation but the supervisor did nothing wrong.

He didn't tell you a specific time to swing by because you should know this information.

Be "totally man enough" and accept responsibility that it was your fault. Ignorance is not an excuse.

Johney

He didn't tell you a specific time to swing by because you should know this information.

Be "totally man enough" and accept responsibility that it was your fault. Ignorance is not an excuse.
Ah yea. He said he didn't know this info.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

If the ignorance is a result of imcomplete training...it may not be an excuse...but it was an honest mistake.

oldngray

nowhere special
With the way things are now it wouldn't surprise me if he never was told about business after 5. Too many of the sups don't know how to do the job themselves yet are expected to train others. And more focus is spent on memorizing junk like DOK than actually learning how to do the job.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
People are getting promoted so fast to fill vacancies, it wouldn't surprise me if that sup came from the hub, was stuck in a package car job and doesn't even know what goes on. You were just unlucky that this particular sup answered the phone when it rang. You have your best chance with your steward/ba I think. The honesty hotline is worth a shot as well. Good luck to you.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
I was DQ'd today because yesterday I was at a business at 4:00pm and they were closed. Sign in the door said they were opened until 6:30pm I went next door and they said nobody has shown up today. I had 23pkgs for them. I scanned one I entered NI1 and put the notice on the door. That was at like 4:12. It didn't release from my board. So I called my supervisor and asked him why it didn't. He told me I had to sheet up each pkg. I said ok so then he asked me what time I would be done. I told him about 6:30pm. He told me to go ahead and go and swing back by to see if they were there later and if not sheet them up then. I'm only on my second week and I was never trained that we had to have our business sheeted up by 5pm. My trainer and I never ran into that problem so I'm assuming he just didn't think to share it with me. Anyway so I went back at 6pm and still nobody there so I sheeted them all up as NI1 and left. I get in this morning and they told me I missed 23pkgs yesterday and the DQ me. When I mentioned that another SUP told me to go ahead and leave they didn't say a word. Basically he never admitted to talking to me. I have to call log in my phone to prove it. I also have proof i was there well before 5 bcuz I sheeted up the one box and scanned a delivery notice. So I was there when I was suppose to be. As a supervisor he should of told me to sheet them up right them and there bcuz it would be after 5 when I went back. They must think I'm stupid bcuz I was a transportation manager for 10yrs before I went to UPS. I'm a off the street hire. I had 90 driver and 3 sups under me. I got tires of the 24-7 grind and UPS in the long run will pay way better plus the benefits. I have a few people who have some decent pull around there that are going to try and get me back in bcuz it literally is bull:censored2:. Before this I have not had one missed pkg not one late air. NOTHING of any sort of issues. I've been doing great. I just wanted some of your thoughts on this. Please save any smart ass comments it's not really the best day of my life right now. I left a good job to do this. Thanks.

JB
I don't understand why you didn't just sheet all packages as cl1 when you were there the first time.

Last edited:

Notretiredyet

Personally I'd wait on the honesty hotline call and use it as a last resort. It's a little early to be burning bridges, give the steward and BA a shot at getting you back first.

SmithBarney

I got hit kinda the same way once... I was given a 500 full for the Mall, at 5pm I'd already ran my own route, I got most of the mall off except one country western barn store on the perimeter of the mall, 40boxes, backed up to the dock pounded on the door/rang the bell nothing. scanned them all went around front... they had closed early... Anyway the next day I was in the office getting an ear full from some "big wig" on the speaker phone. I mentioned it wasn't my route, and I started it at 5pm whose idea was it to let the truck sit ALL DAY...full of commercial stops including NDA... at which point I was asked to leave the room by the voice in the box... On Cars and All stayed in that office a long time... I never heard peep again.. hehe...

I wish you luck, if you are good enough they'll find a reason to keep you. I know two new drivers who had accidents, one was fired(no damage), the other(almost totalled a car) they kept on and is still there. But he was a good driver so they kept him.

S

selfcancelsignal

I don't understand why you didn't just sheet all packages as cl1 when you were there the first time.
I'd bet almost anything he hasn't even been taught this yet.

Sent while driving from my flip phone via T9 word.

Brown stains

Why would you only scan 1 out of 23 for the stop as ni1 just sheet 23 as closed 1 and worry about it the next day before 12 after 1 and no DQ
Some times simple things save a lot of head aches latter on in life

BrownChoice

So your saying you only sheeted 1 package out of a 20something piece bulk stop? And what about all the other bulk stops? Do you run a perfect paper route with 1 package per stop?

There had to have been more than that one issue... Im not buyin it......