DQ'd on day 29

Zowert

Just lost a good friend today at my center. He was day 29 of his 30 and management sat him down after his route to let him know they were disqualifying him. Why? Because of his numbers. Whatever that means. They told him he wasn't consistent enough, some days he would be fine and other days he was too slow. I remember him returning to center before me on more than one occasion so there's no way he could've been THAT slow. But of course I don't know the whole story, only what he tells me. Definitely didn't crash, I parked next to his truck at center and it was fine.

They took his UPS badge and had security walk him out. This sucks because this dude works hard, and he's the only friend I have/had at the center. We got along well since I am fairly new (5 months).

Anyway, my question is there anything he can do about it? Can drivers still in their 30 file grievance? His DQ seems very trivial. I'm pretty damn sure he wasn't slacking, the guy has a good work ethic. Can anyone weigh in on this..?

Just lost a good friend today at my center. He was day 29 of his 30 and management sat him down after his route to let him know they were disqualifying him. Why? Because of his numbers. Whatever that means. They told him he wasn't consistent enough, some days he would be fine and other days he was too slow. I remember him returning to center before me on more than one occasion so there's no way he could've been THAT slow. But of course I don't know the whole story, only what he tells me. Definitely didn't crash, I parked next to his truck at center and it was fine.

They took his UPS badge and had security walk him out. This sucks because this dude works hard, and he's the only friend I have/had at the center. We got along well since I am fairly new (5 months).

Anyway, my question is there anything he can do about it? Can drivers still in their 30 file grievance? His DQ seems very trivial. I'm pretty damn sure he wasn't slacking, the guy has a good work ethic. Can anyone weigh in on this..?
Sometimes they will agree to an extension

Rack em

Made the Podium
:censored2:ing Ups doing their stupid shady ass :censored2:. They mess with peoples lives way too much. I'm sure the only reason he got DQ'd is because they are gearing up to start 22.4s

Zowert

Sometimes they will agree to an extension

I really hope that happens. How could they be so cruel as to walk him out on day 29?! I mean, if his numbers weren't adding up by day 15 then you'd think they would have got rid of him. Maybe let him know, something.

Zowert

:censored2:ing Ups doing their stupid shady ass :censored2:. They mess with peoples lives way too much. I'm sure the only reason he got DQ'd is because they are gearing up to start 22.4s

Sadly this kind of makes sense. I had no beef with management until this. If he doesn't come back I will forever resent them.

If it’s numbers then you might want to check how accurate your start time is compared to when you actually leave the building. Senerio....yeasterday I was 112 clicks over..
It’s in the computer and common knowledge, in our center, that start time is 9:15 ...your “numbers” start then. However we don’t roll (if we are lucky) before 945...so the over/underallowed for that time can usually be 36 clicks give or take on any given day...so when I would be approached about “numbers”, I bring that to the table...I haven’t heard much about numbers since....especially with ORION! The only day this doesn’t apply is Mondays when everything is wrapped up and we are out the door at 845, Minutes after PCM

Last edited:

IESucks

Get over it..happens all the time

bumped

Sometimes people don't make it. But, they don't pull that 29th day :censored2: here. They'll tell a guy on day 24 or 25 that its no going to work out.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
If it’s numbers then you might want to check how accurate your start time is compared to when you actually leave the building. Senerio....yeasterday I was 112 clicks over..
It’s in the computer and common knowledge, in our center, that start time is 9:15 ...your “numbers” start then. However we don’t roll (if we are lucky) before 945...so the over/underallowed for that time can usually be 36 clicks give or take on any given day...so when I would be approached about “numbers”, I bring that to the table...I haven’t heard much about numbers since....especially with ORION! The only day this doesn’t apply is Mondays when everything is wrapped up and we are out the door at 845, Minutes after PCM

Other work, load/unload.

At least until you are told not to use it because it screws up the preload numbers.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Sadly this kind of makes sense. I had no beef with management until this. If he doesn't come back I will forever resent them.

Will you hate them more knowing that they could or should have let him go before he delivered all his S* and not AFTER!

Slug Life

When do we eat?

Why do I feel there is more to the story?
upload_2018-8-2_0-25-58.jpeg

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation

What does your friend say?

Only two reasons they'd walk him off the property the way you tell it without some major accident or mishap.

First reason; He committed a Cardinal offense... stealing, smoking a doob, took a swing at a suit.

2nd reason; They're buying time for a Scab for their back pocket. You'll be out walking the picket and they'll call him back in and more than likely he'll be running your route.

That's my guess... don't be sore at me. I just feel that's what they're preparing.

Who is your Avatar? Is that an NHL guy?

They don't walk people off the property that don't beat the route every day in their 30-day unless he was a complete disaster. At least not here they don't.

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation
You see what you said right there. You're a young buck so you weren't around in 1997 for the only nationwide walkout in 90-years at UPS and that included pilots.

I can't tell you over the last 21-years how many managers, Division & District who made it crystal clear they will never settle a strike again.

You said you "will forever resent them." That's how they feel & still feel.

Did you know Amazon is loaded with ex UPS salary employees? Loaded with them... all UPS would have to do is take a few accounts such as Amazon and suspend operations with them for a month or so on a work stoppage to get new blood in the door with maybe 40% of the volume we have today. Companies like Amazon, Wal*Mart, Wall Street would lend a hand in a lot of ways to break the Union.

UPS corporate knows 80% or more are against this contract. They're gearing up for it and as sick & twisted as it is, a lot of UPS management is really looking forward to the agreement to be torn up.

In fact, it's my best guess that when it's voted No and not accepted (which it will be). UPS is going to counter with a much worse or less final offer. UPS has totally lost any patience. Once the weather grows cooler & before October. Be prepared for some major life changes coming. That's the way I see it.