DR to businesses

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Packages for the walmart portrait studio are specifically driver release.

It's one thing to DR to a closed business within an open retail establishment. It's another to DR packages outside the front door of a closed business with a lot of foot traffic. I deliver to Walmart and DR portrait studio packages all the time if they have not opened yet. They position chairs to block the entry when they are closed---I simply move one of the chairs, make the delivery and put the chair back. I put the packages behind the cash register table so that the riff-raff that shops at Walmart won't see them. Now, if they had one of those pull-down gates, like the vision center or nail salon, I would not leave the packages, shipper release or not. I would indirect them to the vision center.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

um.....Yes. I want to think I read somewhere official (methods or it was a lovely diad training) which said that a shipper release to a business is to be signed for if they are open, and if they are closed than you just drop them

How many businesses do you have on your route that receive Basic or shipper release packages? Other than the Walmart portrait studio my answer would be less than 10. Of these they usually receive non-Basic packages as well so this is not an issue.

If I had a shipper release package for a closed business that I could not indirect and did not feel comfortable leaving by their locked front door I would not leave it.

BlackCat

Uh....no.

Which part is not clicking with you?

UPS: Shipper Release

DescriptionHave UPS deliver your package without requiring the recipient's signature.
Terms of ServiceThese terms of service apply to Shipper Release:

• UPS will make only one delivery attempt.
  • UPS will not obtain a signature upon delivery.
  • A UPS delivery record will be conclusive proof of delivery.
  • The shipper accepts liability for any loss or damage to the package after delivery.

UPSGUY72

LOL. But UPS is so much more professional! Is MFE catching this?

It's not UPS choice the a shipper release or basic package is to released on the the first attempt no matter the location. That is what the shipper wants and pays for. UPS is not responsible for those package after they get DR'd.

rocket man

I drive for FedEx so we go to the same stops. I asked the driver at one business and he told me that he just leaves them by the door because the customer asked him to.

At the post office I was 10 minutes early from when they return from lunch. The boxes were sitting by the back door and when they got there to accept what I had for them I asked why they were left there and if I could get her to sign a driver release authorization form so I could do the same. She said she figures one of the other workers told him to leave them. She didn't know anything about it.

Any other questions or insults? I don't care if he does it. It doesn't effect me. I was just curious if you guys could do that. I thought it wasn't allowed...
if you work for fedx then worry about fedx

BrownArmy

I saw a funny sign at the back door of an eye-care center (there is a main entrance, different than the first floor elevator entrance...if you take the elevator from the 2nd floor, you arrive at this back door...it's Kafka, you can't go anywhere else, and there is nowhere else to go).

The staff left a sign:

"Dear Fed-Ex guy:

Please stop leaving packages here.

This door (for all intents and purposes) is an EMERGENCY EXIT.

We never use this door.

If you leave packages here, they will sit here for a week before we notice.

COME TO THE FRONT DOOR.

Thank you so much! (smiley face)."

First time I saw the sign, there were six Fed-Ex packages piled in front of the door.

Classic.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I've got a Methodist Church that gets pkgs that the release alert comes up when you scan, when no one is there I leave them by the office door.

We can DR to churches.

I had a sup riding with me one day and had a delivery for a church and I DR'ed. He told me I wasn't allowed to do that. I said, "Sure I am. It's a residence. It's the house of God." He blank stared me for a second and then shook his head and chuckled. Never heard about it again after I reminded him that I've had only 3 DFU's in my 17 years of driving and two of those were brought back positive.

What'dyabringmetoday???

It's one thing to DR to a closed business within an open retail establishment. It's another to DR packages outside the front door of a closed business with a lot of foot traffic. I deliver to Walmart and DR portrait studio packages all the time if they have not opened yet. They position chairs to block the entry when they are closed---I simply move one of the chairs, make the delivery and put the chair back. I put the packages behind the cash register table so that the riff-raff that shops at Walmart won't see them. Now, if they had one of those pull-down gates, like the vision center or nail salon, I would not leave the packages, shipper release or not. I would indirect them to the vision center.
I wonder if any of your friends shop at Walmart. I wonder if they are "riff-raff".

I drive for FedEx so we go to the same stops. I asked the driver at one business and he told me that he just leaves them by the door because the customer asked him to.

At the post office I was 10 minutes early from when they return from lunch. The boxes were sitting by the back door and when they got there to accept what I had for them I asked why they were left there and if I could get her to sign a driver release authorization form so I could do the same. She said she figures one of the other workers told him to leave them. She didn't know anything about it.

Any other questions or insults? I don't care if he does it. It doesn't effect me. I was just curious if you guys could do that. I thought it wasn't allowed...
Looks like another idiot who I get to represent in a hearing.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
If I had a shipper release package for a closed business that I could not indirect and did not feel comfortable leaving by their locked front door I would not leave it.

And u could receive a warning letter for this. The shipper pays more to have said package left NO MATTER WHAT!!!!

CAFAL

Yes they do have rules for that. One time is a warning. Second time is termination (for contractors). I've seen the safety guy following drivers maybe a handful of times in the last ten years. And it's usually when they are trying to get rid of someone.

At least that used to be the rule... I honestly don't even remember the last time he was around.

It's also a federal dept of homeland security law. 10000 fine for an open bulkhead door. Vehicle cannot be unsecure

CAFAL

Also an 8500 fine for being on your cell in a commercial vehicle while driving. If you're driving a tractor,it's the fine and a six month suspension. Passed in february

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
The FedEx guys, both ground and express, pull into stops forward and back out, have bullhead open, pkgs on the dash, etc. Whatever the rules are, apparently they only apply to UPS.

BrownArmy

I've had 'shipper-release' packages for businesses' that were closed for vacation.

These were also businesses that ship with us.

I did not DR...

(Got asked about it once, asked my center manager why he was trying to antagonize our customers.)

Having said that, if it's a BASIC pkg for an apartment building on a busy 4-Lane highway with no foyer at all, at 20:13 on a Friday night:

(sung to the Micky-D's theme)

I'M LEAVING IT.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Uh yes apparently you have never read the prompt that comes up on a shipper release.

Sure I have but I also have the ability to think for myself. If I feel that the location in question is an unsafe DR I will not leave it. I can't imagine have to answer a business owner's question "Why in the world would you leave a package outside of my door when I am closed?"

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
The amount of times I've had a basic or shipper release pkg for a business that happens to be closed is zero. I'll decide what to do when the time comes.