Drive By Sheeting

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Upstate,
With all due respect, its not my job to teach another employee "a valuable lesson", to use your words. I understand where you are coming from and I do think this driver needs to be taught to do things right, but I don't think it should be me who does it.

I also wouldn't rat him out management immediately either. I would tell the shop steward the case and ask him to talk to him about it. If the problem continued, then I would rat him out to my supervisor.

There is no excuse for this lazziness. Its not fair to the customer and the regular driver.

I'm confused. Your last sentence reflects your feelings toward these "drive-by sheeters" yet you don't feel that it is either your job to correct their behavior or ask mgt to help you in this regard. Properly "training" a newbie would serve them well for the rest of their career. Talking to your shop steward would most likely have little or no effect in this situation.

I am not advising taking the guy behind the wood shed and "correcting" his behavior. I would simply pull him aside and explain my position on his poor delivery methods and then give him the opportunity to adjust accordingly. If this doesn't work, I would then track 2-3 of his "send agains" and get with each consignee and explain why they didn't get their pkgs and let the chips fall where they may. If, for some reason, that doesn't work, I would ask the OMS to print his delivery records and then sit down with either my on-car or center manager and go from there. As you can see, mgt would be my last course of action as I would hope that it would be corrected before I needed to bring it to their attention.

The problem here is that he is not cheating me. My dispatch sup will adjust the dispatch if I have too much work. He is cheating the customer who paid to have his pkg delivered. Period.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If further defense of the drive by sheeters...

Since I now have my own route, it doesn't bother me in the least if a coverage driver causes me to have a bunch of send agains. 160 deliveries is 160 deliveries no matter if they are all fresh new deliveries or 160 send agains.

What if you end up with 180--160 that was planned for that day and 20 that drive by couldn't be bothered to deliver? Would you be so congenial about it?

leastbest

LeastBest
Personally I don't care if these Red Bull Runners want to falsify records to make some bonus. I do my job and I follow ALL the rules. I take my breaks and do my job.

Management knows what drivers are doing to make bonus and if it's okay with management it's okay with me. It's their company.

Eventually they will get caught and whine how the union isn't doing enough for them. It goes on and on.

Randy
www.leastbest.com

H

hseofpayne

Since I now have my own route, it doesn't bother me in the least if a coverage driver causes me to have a bunch of send agains. 160 deliveries is 160 deliveries no matter if they are all fresh new deliveries or 160 send agains.

Birds of a feather SUCK together!

H

hseofpayne

Personally I don't care if these Red Bull Runners want to falsify records to make some bonus. I do my job and I follow ALL the rules. I take my breaks and do my job.

Management knows what drivers are doing to make bonus and if it's okay with management it's okay with me. It's their company.

Eventually they will get caught and whine how the union isn't doing enough for them. It goes on and on.

Randy
Our center is not a bonus center. The only reason these swingers do drive bys is they know they won't have to deal with pkgs the next day. I see these same customers regularly, and in this day and age most of our customers know how to track their pkgs. When thet see NI1 when they track a pkg, its me that has to take the brunt of their anger the next day. I just don't like cleaning up other peoples messes, especially sorry people. I know a lot of people on here say mind your own business, but in reality I AM minding my own business, and that business is UPS.

filthpig

It's usually the same guy who covers for me and I've never had a problem. If it did happen I'd take it up with him once. If it didn't stop, I'd rat him out.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have 2 primary cover drivers. One has a strong work ethic and takes pride in what he does. The other...not so much. I have been on vaca this week and next and cover driver # one has been covering my area so I know I will walk in 7/7 w/no issues whatsoever.

old levi's

blank space
I have 2 primary cover drivers. One has a strong work ethic and takes pride in what he does. The other...not so much. I have been on vaca this week and next and cover driver # one has been covering my area so I know I will walk in 7/7 w/no issues whatsoever.

2 weeks back to back. Sweet!

H

hseofpayne

I am trying to figure your logic... Are you saying as long as you get paid, and as long as it doesn't inconvenience you more than 2 days a week, you could care less if the customers received their packages. Is that about it? I am not going to judge you, but consider this: How long would UPS remain in business if this attitude existed in all drivers? More to the point, do you care if UPS stays in business?

Thorn

But what about suppling the service your customers are paying for? Without them, you wouldn't have a job that pays your triple time.

Where did I say I wasn't supplying service?

I deliver commits on time, no closed attempts between 12 and 1, and businesses before 5.

What other service is there?

Thorn

The initial impression I read into this thread was not the service issue of sheeting packages without attempting delivery (I believe upstate morphed it to that issue) , but the feeling that the coverage driver was just being lazy.

My second impression was that the regular drivers felt they were scewed by having to do additional work because of that laziness.

So, my defense of the coverage driver was my way of determining who is really the lazy person? The coverage driver who doesn't make a true attempt or the regular driver who's whining because they feel like they have to do more work?

H

hseofpayne

The initial impression I read into this thread was not the service issue of sheeting packages without attempting delivery (I believe upstate morphed it to that issue) , but the feeling that the coverage driver was just being lazy.

My second impression was that the regular drivers felt they were scewed by having to do additional work because of that laziness.

So, my defense of the coverage driver was my way of determining who is really the lazy person? The coverage driver who doesn't make a true attempt or the regular driver who's whining because they feel like they have to do more work?

1. Cover Driver sheeting pkg w/o attempting delivery
2. Cover driver being lazy

These 2 issues are one and the same, #1 is simply further clarification of issue #2. The person being screwed is the customer. Determining who is lazy is simple, the one who doesn't do his job yet takes credit for making an attempt. I have read some of your other posts on other threads where you think UPS deserves to lose volume so this will be the last post I address your opinions. You keep up your defense of the drivers who falsify their records and screw customers. I believe you and your bretheren would be volume UPS could stand to lose.

21_years_in

I was watching the news and I was reminded of this term "drive by sheeting" I used to use to describe what cover drivers would do to the pkgs going to apts on the Friday b4 I would come back from vacation. They would drive by the apt complex and sheet 'em all up as NI1! I used to take the following Monday off just to ruin their evil plan but half the time they just put NI2 on 'em! I would look in the back of my car and see 20 stops going to an apt complex that usually got 5 or so stops and know I was the victim of a "Drive By Sheeting!" Anybody else been sheeted?!
I was going to start a post on this issue, but I found this thread.

We have a cover driver in our center who is doing this to an extreme degree. I have been observing him for awhile (including talking with other drivers), and I gather that he never leaves an info notice. He sheets packages as clo1 or NI1 without getting out of the package car or leaving an info notice. When I talk with the customers, they are sure that they were home. I know that at least one customer called to complain. He is very consistent about this with possibly every single signature required package that he gets.

He uses EC for no reason, and will sheet a package NI1 when it could have been left on the porch (no signature required). He will sheet as NSN when the address is very clearly posted. He fails to tender his clerk packages to the PM clerk. I also know that he is sometimes not anywhere near the address when he sheets them.

What's more is that he always bonuses a great deal and he is the darling of the supes because of his stellar numbers.

I hate to be a tattle tale, but I brought this to the attention of an on road sup, asking for my delivery records so that I could advise the supe of which packages were rolled (it was 10% of the packages). The supe failed to print my records as promised.

The drive by sheeter has continued to roll packages at an alarming rate and bonuses a lot. I have even seen him roll NDAs which were medicine.

I am the type of driver that always follows all methods 100% and I never want to make waves with anybody, especially the center manager. What should I do?

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
I was going to start a post on this issue, but I found this thread.

We have a cover driver in our center who is doing this to an extreme degree. I have been observing him for awhile (including talking with other drivers), and I gather that he never leaves an info notice. He sheets packages as clo1 or NI1 without getting out of the package car or leaving an info notice. When I talk with the customers, they are sure that they were home. I know that at least one customer called to complain. He is very consistent about this with possibly every single signature required package that he gets.

He uses EC for no reason, and will sheet a package NI1 when it could have been left on the porch (no signature required). He will sheet as NSN when the address is very clearly posted. He fails to tender his clerk packages to the PM clerk. I also know that he is sometimes not anywhere near the address when he sheets them.

What's more is that he always bonuses a great deal and he is the darling of the supes because of his stellar numbers.

I hate to be a tattle tale, but I brought this to the attention of an on road sup, asking for my delivery records so that I could advise the supe of which packages were rolled (it was 10% of the packages). The supe failed to print my records as promised.

The drive by sheeter has continued to roll packages at an alarming rate and bonuses a lot. I have even seen him roll NDAs which were medicine.

I am the type of driver that always follows all methods 100% and I never want to make waves with anybody, especially the center manager. What should I do?
Got guys like this in my center 2. They even sheet ground shipper release pkgs as ni1. Sometimes a whole street or whole neighborhood of Ni1. They are runners who make the regular guy look bad so management will do or say nothing. It's very frustrating , but they eventually will be fired for something management just can't cover for them. Seen it happen a lot over the past 20 years I've been here.