Driver advice

thatguylinder

I recently worked at UPS as a driver helper, picked up the work fast and enjoyed the work. Drivers said I'd be good at the job and I'm really interested in starting a career with UPS now. I was wondering where a good place to start is at UPS or any advice for becoming a driver, I've heard you have to put in the time but what are the chances of being hired on as a driver to start? Thanks for your feed back

Matt

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Hey, you found the right section.

To answer your question, zero to none.

Unless you happen to be in the right place at the right time.

HardknocksUPSer

Start out as a package handler either working night shift or morning shift, keep in mind both Shifts are only part time 20-25hrs a week, stick in there part time for a few years depending on your location until you have the seniority to bid on a full time position, have fun and goodluck.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
One would think everyone would as Matt said, "pick up the job fast", but sadly this is not to the case. Some driver helper's have the intellect of a flea.

Z

ZQXC

what are the chances of being hired on as a driver to start?

upload_2015-1-21_15-56-21.jpeg
Boy...., I say boy

Are you former military and an butthole?
If not, you'll have to wait your turn.

BrownArmy

I recently worked at UPS...etc...

Call the person who coordinated your helper shifts...

Odds are, that poor sod was pulled from some other division within UPS... i.e. that person wore a suit etc., and now will have absolutely no pull in your job search, and is also very glad to be back in his/her cubicle after 'peak'.

Don't fret!

Call HR: you still have the digits, correct?

Actually, don't do that... it won't work and they will divert / ignore you.

No worries!

Call your driver, the guy/gal who said you'd be a lock for a new job.

If they answer your call, they will be embarrassed for telling you that you were a lock for an actual job...they shouldn't have told you that.

If they don't answer your call (I wouldn't, unless you were the &^^s'kn best helper I've ever had), don't worry, they're WAY too busy working.

Turns out, your options consist of:

Blowing up your HR rep...(have at it...good luck, I work here and I have a hard time contacting that department....)

Blowing up your Peak driver...(please don't; he/she has no pull)

Blowing up the UPS Hiring website (again, good luck!)

Somehow though, persistence is the key, so, soldier own!

ArcherUTR

You could research what hubs around the country dropped the ball this past peak season or areas that are about to open up new centers. Move there and apply around October before peak.

You could become a part-time supervisor and hope that they anoint you as 1 of 6 that can be an 'off the street hire' in a driving class. No time frame on this, could be 6 mos., could be 6 years.

Get hired on as a part-timer at your local hub and wait it out. Time depends on your area's given situation. 1-10yrs.

Or apply at FedEx

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our helper coordinator was an off the street hire who is no longer with the company. He would have zero pull in getting any of the helpers a permanent position.

PT Car Washer

Since we have drivers laid off my guess would be it will be a while before a lot of new people are hired. At least working PT will get your foot in the door and a paycheck on Fridays.