Driver almost killed me today, I threatened to sue UPS if it happens one more time!

curiousbrain

Re: Driver almost killed me today, I threatened to sue UPS if it happens one more tim

HERE, they used to have us walk inside the building to make sure no-one was in the back of the trailer.
NOW, we are not allowed to walk in and check (my goodness, that's almost stealing time!!). We have to walk down the side of the trailer, knock at the back, and look into the back.

WELL, have you actually ever worked here???
1. Do you know how loud it is in the yard and in the building? I'd never hear a reply to my knocking.
2. Most of the time, the trailer is tight against the dock curtains and you can't see through them.

All I can do is hope they get the heck outta there when they hear the knocking.... OR, maybe that sup shouldn't call off the trailer till his people are out!!!!

I won't disagree with the loudness of the yard, or what not .. but if you bang on a trailer, if anyone is inside they can not only hear it, but you can feel it.

As to if they bang back or not, that is on the soup; when I first took the unload job, no one would reply; I instructed my employees it is for their own safety, and they had to pound back - no questions, no exceptions.

Simple knock, simple response; if there is an accident, that not only is the responsibility of the feeder/part-timer, it is now on me (the part-time soup as well).

I'm not saying everyone acts this way, but that is how I ran my unload - shifter did not even hook up if there was anyone near the trailer or a load stand inside it.

edit: And, as to hooking up to the wrong door ... a feeder hits the trailer, and if the guy inside can't tell that someone just hooked up .. there are deeper problems at play here.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Re: Driver almost killed me today, I threatened to sue UPS if it happens one more tim

edit: And, as to hooking up to the wrong door ... a feeder hits the trailer, and if the guy inside can't tell that someone just hooked up .. there are deeper problems at play here.

It's not always obvious when the spotter hooks. When the tractor hooks, it's usually obvious, but here feeders often hook to the trailers they're going to pull, so it's nothing I would think twice about (use to be that they couldn't hook up with anybody in the truck, now UPS doesn't care).

curiousbrain

It's not always obvious when the spotter hooks up. When the feeder hooks-up, it's usually obvious, but here feeders often hook to the trailers they're going to pull, so it's nothing I would think twice about (use to be that they couldn't hook up with anybody in the truck, now UPS doesn't care).

I won't disagree that UPS couldn't care; but, and God I want to hang myself for saying this, but that's the level of acceptance an unload soup has.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian

All this reminds me of a similar incident at a previous place of employment. One of my fellow mechanics went inside a refrigerated trailer loaded with vegetables in order to plug the drains to help with moisture retention. Well, the driver came along and closed the door while he was at the front. No thumping on the sides of this trailer with the reefer running can be heard. This was near lunch time so after a while we all were all sitting down and realized, "Hey....where's Stevie?". Right about then, here comes the tractor with him riding shotgun.
He was fortunate enough to at least have a flashlight and tools with him. After realizing this was no joke, he proceeded to hack and beat a hole in the driver side of the trailer and stick his arm out so the driver could see it in the mirror about 20 miles down the road.

At CACH all outbound trailer have red flags attached by sups to the red glad hand. No driver is allowed to touch a trailer with a flag, period. We'll wait, sometimes quite a while, on the sup to come and pull the flag.

On the unload they have a stop sign mounted to the wall behind each trailer. Once again, if the sign is out a driver cannot pull.

It's cut down dramatically on bad pulls compared to the old days.

trickpony1

At CACH all outbound trailer have red flags attached by sups to the red glad hand. No driver is allowed to touch a trailer with a flag, period. We'll wait, sometimes quite a while, on the sup to come and pull the flag.

On the unload they have a stop sign mounted to the wall behind each trailer. Once again, if the sign is out a driver cannot pull.

It's cut down dramatically on bad pulls compared to the old days.

This would require supes that care and 30-60 extra seconds.
Not gonna happen at my hub......

UPSGUY72

This is not the first time, this has happened 6 times to me and other unloaders. But this is the worst it has ever gotten. While I was unloading the brown truck today, a driver drove off today with me in the package delivery car and I fell forward into the metro then I quickly grabbed onto the pole in the package car. I'm not even going to blame the drivers, because I know that it's the ignorant managers' fault for not even setting some damn rules for drivers to follow when they're driving off. I quickly dropped some friend bombs and scream out and warned him to stop the effing truck right now. I got a little cut on my elbow. The ft supervisors and the manager quickly ran over to see what happen. The shop steward was off today so I couldn't get to tell him about it. I threaten the building manager that I'll surely pursue legal actions if this happens to anyone in the building again. They told me that I can take the rest of the week and next week off and I'll get paid for it. I know this is their incentive for me not to go further and press charges. I don't think I'm going to pursue any further with any legal actions because it was just a minor incident and I didn't get hurt but a little cut. Plus I get along really well with the ft supervisor, so I don't want to put his job in jeopardy. But If it wasn't for that metro that extended into the package car, god forbid, but I would probably be dead right now. Has this ever happened to anyone on here before, or have you ever heard of this happening to someone

Troll

Your story isn't believable.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll

This is horse crap of the highest degree. If you are unloading a trailer, any feeder driver with a brain knows to pound on the side of the trailer and listen; if you hear them bang back, the trailer is not empty - furthermore, you could be standing outside twenty feet away and hear boxes slamming into rollers/extendos and know the trailer is not empty. If you are unloading a package car, you could get in either side and instantly see it is being unloaded - even with the bulkhead door closed, the camera in the back (once the package car is started) would show you activity - and if you don't yell something between the time it takes for the car to start and the time it takes to move, you should probably be in white room with no human contact. I don't care, you don't have to believe me. You people are truly disgusting and callous. I almost got hurt really bad and you guys have the audacity to tell me I'm lying. I hope you guys aren't the same in your hub as you're on here, because I would really feel it for your co-workers. Good thing my co-workers are great people and not like you ignorant people on here 0 not all of you guys are ignorant on here, but a large number are. BS, BS, BS.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll

Bingo There isn't any poles in the back of package cars.
This is testament that you're ignorant. Sorry, but I don't really like to call people mean names, but you truly are. You and that ibleedbrown guy. Here's some couple pic I snapped today when I finished unloading (I went to work today and told the shop steward what happened and I ended up working today since it's not a big deal.) http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums...EADA5E64-190-0000000138FF3F29_zps9e3dc724.jpg http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums...36683934-190-00000001372D0B39_zpsb2159bb4.jpg http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums...40F72802-190-0000000132DF39FB_zps1f440f77.jpg

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll

I don't care, you don't have to believe me. You people are truly disgusting and callous. I almost got hurt really bad and you guys have the audacity to tell me I'm lying. I hope you guys aren't the same in your hub as you're on here, because I would really feel it for your co-workers. Good thing my co-workers are great people and not like you ignorant people on here - not all of you guys are ignorant on here, but a large number are.

Returntosender

Take down the photos. Or at least learn how to remove the username of the uploader from the URL. As for those posters who say no poles in the car. They driver the sprinters for the P5. That why they don't know.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

This is testament that you're ignorant. Sorry, but I don't really like to call people mean names, but you truly are. You and that ibleedbrown guy. Here's some couple pic I snapped today when I finished unloading (I went to work today and told the shop steward what happened and I ended up working today since it's not a big deal.) http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums...EADA5E64-190-0000000138FF3F29_zps9e3dc724.jpg http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums...36683934-190-00000001372D0B39_zpsb2159bb4.jpg http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums...40F72802-190-0000000132DF39FB_zps1f440f77.jpg
Were you referring to me? What I'd like to know is A) what the picture proves to your story? And B) Two days ago, you started a thread asking if getting sent home counted towards your days of getting in the union. Which would lead me to believe you haven't made book yet. Yesterday you post about your "accident" and ranting abour suing and filing greivances. Now, I'm not Einstein, don't know much about all that book learning and I'm illiterate except for reading PAL stickers. And I certainly don't know much about union procedures. But I would conclude that an employee cannot file a greivance if they're NOT in the union. I'm sure someone who actually knows this answer will reply in the near future.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll

Were you referring to me? What I'd like to know is A) what the picture proves to your story? And B) Two days ago, you started a thread asking if getting sent home counted towards your days of getting in the union. Which would lead me to believe you haven't made book yet. Yesterday you post about your "accident" and ranting abour suing and filing greivances. Now, I'm not Einstein, don't know much about all that book learning and I'm illiterate except for reading PAL stickers. And I certainly don't know much about union procedures. But I would conclude that an employee cannot file a greivance if they're NOT in the union. I'm sure someone who actually knows this answer will reply in the near future.
You are ignorant, aren't you? I was asking about a CO-WORKER - not me. What makes you believe that I was referring to myself when I clearly stated that I was figuring out if my co-worker makes union or not? I'm done with you, bye hater. And my pictures prove a lot, because I proved to you that some package cars do have poles.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll

And non-union members can surely file grievances. As long as they are not on probation. The company have to treat non-union and union members the SAME. You just took an L again. I'm winning. A 19 yr old is smarter than a...........let me guess.........a 39 yr old who works pt a UPS loading trucks :)

Indecisi0n

Once you jump on the pole it's all downhill from there.

jaker

trolling

Your story just doesn't make sense , so you work the preload now and you was in a truck loading it , the driver hop in a took off with you in the back

​Is that right

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

And non-union members can surely file grievances. As long as they are not on probation. The company have to treat non-union and union members the SAME. You just took an L again. I'm winning. A 19 yr old is smarter than a...........let me guess.........a 39 yr old who works pt a UPS loading trucks :)