Driver apprentice....Is FedEx in need of CDL drivers?

Rlm65

FedEx freight has a ton of driver apprentice jobs posted for city and road. Is FedEx hard up for drivers? I’ve heard that they mostly promote from within so it is strange to me to see so many openings. Anyone know about this?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
FedEx freight has a ton of driver apprentice jobs posted for city and road. Is FedEx hard up for drivers? I’ve heard that they mostly promote from within so it is strange to me to see so many openings. Anyone know about this?
FedEx can’t keep CDL drivers because they don’t pay enough.

falcon back

FedEx can’t keep CDL drivers because they don’t pay enough.
So you are have knowledge of the pay rate at FDX Freight? I have seen Express drivers complain that Freight makes more and tops out faster than Express. Maybe you are mistaken with your opinion of Freights inability to keep drivers. Possibly Freight needs more people to handle growth.

Last edited:

Rlm65

So with that being said, would you say that as a new CDL holder, starting out on the dock would be a waste of time? I want to drive

falcon back

So with that being said, would you say that as a new CDL holder, starting out on the dock would be a waste of time? I want to drive
Anyone holding a CDL is in a good position to get a driving job. They might have a minimum time on the job before you could apply to drive but in theses crazy times, you could possibly get to drive much quicker than you think.

bacha29

It's because they're like everyone else. They have 3 guys on every truck.... 1 coming....1 driving....and...1 leaving. Retirement, disability, failed physical, stress... the usual reasons.

falcon back

It's because they're like everyone else. They have 3 guys on every truck.... 1 coming....1 driving....and...1 leaving. Retirement, disability, failed physical, stress... the usual reasons.
Don't listen to this tool. He got ran off and can't move on. Driving a tractor is not very hard on the body. Staying awake while waiting on a dock is the hardest chore.

bacha29

Don't listen to this tool. He got ran off and can't move on. Driving a is not very hard on the body. Staying awake while waiting on a dock is the hardest chore.
Thank you Captain Obvious. It's not the truck that quits. It's the driver that quits. If it's not hard on the body as you claim then why do so many fail the physical due to non drug related issues? It's the stress factors. The ulcers, the hypertension, the phlebitis the heart conditions. It's about trying to move those 40 ton behemoths on roads that were never built for vehicles of that length, width and weight.

Rlm65

The particular position I’m inquiring about does not state any minimum driving experience needed, as the only requirements are a valid CDL permit or license. I was thinking I would have a great chance of landing the job having my license already.

falcon back

Thank you Captain Obvious. It's not the truck that quits. It's the driver that quits. If it's not hard on the body as you claim then why do so many fail the physical due to non drug related issues? It's the stress factors. The ulcers, the hypertension, the phlebitis the heart conditions. It's about trying to move those 40 ton behemoths on roads that were never built for vehicles of that length, width and weight.
Just because you weren't man enough to do it, don't think it can't be done. I did it for almost 30 yrs. Passed 15 or so DOT physicals, the Haz Recurrency test every 5 yrs. and drove those trucks that scared you over every kind of road imaginable. Ulcers and stress are for puzzys like you. When you hate what you are doing and aren't qualified to do the job, stress and ulcers will be the result.

falcon back

The particular position I’m inquiring about does not state any minimum driving experience needed, as the only requirements are a valid CDL permit or license. I was thinking I would have a great chance of landing the job having my license already.
Go for it. A CDL is a very good license to have. Did you attend a training academy?

Rlm65

I work for a municipality down here in south Florida they required me to get my CDL A and paid for the training and test. Only problem was it was with a pintle hook coupling device. I was tractor trailer restricted. I took it upon myself to study and went out to an academy and retook the test on my own dime in a manual tractor trailer because I knew it would open up a lot of possibilities for the future. I passed that so now I have an unrestricted license with doubles and tanker. I have a few months straight truck experience but I’m lacking any experience on the job in a tractor so far. I passed every test on the first try and I know I have the skills to run freight. Just looking for a way to get my feet wet somewhere

bacha29

Just because you weren't man enough to do it, don't think it can't be done. I did it for almost 30 yrs. Passed 15 or so DOT physicals, the Haz Recurrency test every 5 yrs. and drove those trucks that scared you over every kind of road imaginable. Ulcers and stress are for puzzys like you. When you hate what you are doing and aren't qualified to do the job, stress and ulcers will be the result.
LMAO!. You say you did it for ALMOST 30 years. Thirty years is widely considered to be the standard longevity for the industry. So how come you didn't make it? And on top of it you act like you actually did something exceptional. Gear puncher exceptionalism. A whole standard in self adoration created by Old Falcon Fart himself. And I commend you most highly! (lol).

falcon back

Doubles and tanker opens up a ton of opportunities. Nice to see you took the initiative to finish on your own dime. You will find someone to hire you without experience and then find something better.

falcon back

LMAO!. You say you did it for ALMOST 30 years. Thirty years is widely considered to be the standard longevity for the industry. So how come you didn't make it? And on top of it you act like you actually did something exceptional. Gear puncher exceptionalism. A whole standard in self adoration created by Old Falcon Fart himself. And I commend you most highly! (lol).
I went pt for a while and then retired. Try again puzzy

Rlm65

Also looking to getting Haz-Mat endorsement too. But I’ve applied at the local beverage distributors in my area and never heard anything from them. Also applied to foodservice and they said I need more experience. After that I was left wondering how a guy is suppose to get a start in the industry. Then after doing research I found information about the dock to driver programs offered by the big LTLs. Only problem with that is that it seems that that’s for guys that don’t have a CDL. Also I’m not looking to go OTR and be gone for weeks at a time, that’s just not for me.