Driver bid question

21Savage

In order to win a driver bid it is my understanding you have to be available to work immediately and not out on injury. Is that correct? And if so does anyone know where to find the language on that? In Atlantic.

21Savage

Seniority wins the bid

Right and I'd be cool with that since the person that got it was higher seniorty than me. But that person also never actually signed the bid either since he was out on injury. He didn't even know about it and apparently was just offered the spot and accepted. So what's the point of signing the physical paper if they just offer on seniorty?

And another driver who is higher than me, also didn't get it, but he never signed the bid either. So how can they offer it to one person and then not another who should have got it if they are just going by seniorty.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
I’m in the west in the NorCal rider. Seniority is everything.

First off regardless of an employees disposition they have a right to bid a route. If he’s out on Comp or Disability we’d just Temp Bid the route till the main driver gets back.

Here when a driver is out on Comp or Disability they are contacted and informed that there are routes up for bid. If they want to put their name down it can be done on their behalf by either management or a steward.

While this may seem wrong to you, some day you’ll be a senior employee and benefit from the system as well.

21Savage

I’m in the west in the NorCal rider. Seniority is everything.

First off regardless of an employees disposition they have a right to bid a route. If he’s out on Comp or Disability we’d just Temp Bid the route till the main driver gets back.

Here when a driver is out on Comp or Disability they are contacted and informed that there are routes up for bid. If they want to put their name down it can be done on their behalf by either management or a steward.

While this may seem wrong to you, some day you’ll be a senior employee and benefit from the system as well.
I should have been clearer in the original post. This was a bid for full time positions to bid on rpcd. Aka 22.4 to RPCD bid. Not a route bid.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
I should have been clearer in the original post. This was a bid for full time positions to bid on rpcd. Aka 22.4 to RPCD bid. Not a route bid.
That would still go by seniority, as a steward I personally have overseen one of these since 22.4’s were created.

We determined all qualifying 22.4’s, by seniority, then asked each one independently if they’d want the promotion.

This included two who were and are still on workman’s comp. They all excepted the promotion for obvious reasons.

21Savage

That would still go by seniority, as a steward I personally have overseen one of these since 22.4’s were created.

We determined all qualifying 22.4’s, by seniority, then asked each one independently if they’d want the promotion.

This included two who were and are still on workman’s comp. They all excepted the promotion for obvious reasons.
If that's what happened I'd be fine with that too. But there was another 22.4 who never signed the bid that was eligible(there were 5 spots) and was never called or asked like the other person out on injury I'm referencing. And they gave it to the guy lower than him, that did sign...

So a lot of inconsistencies.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
If that's what happened I'd be fine with that too. But there was another 22.4 who never signed the bid that was eligible(there were 5 spots) and was never called or asked like the other person out on injury I'm referencing. And they gave it to the guy lower than him, that did sign...

So a lot of inconsistencies.
If you can prove they went out of seniority order and excluded you then your grievance would be an open and shut case. File it with your BA/steward tomorrow. Unfortunately if your seniority doesn’t allow you the opportunity then they’ll show you.

21Savage

If you can prove they went out of seniority order and excluded you then your grievance would be an open and shut case. File it with your BA/steward tomorrow. Unfortunately if your seniority doesn’t allow you the opportunity then they’ll show you.
Yeah my thing is, how can I prove who did and didn't sign unless I have a picture of the list at 11:59 pm the day it got taken down? They have the actual piece of paper.. They can just say say person did sign, even though I know they did not.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Simple, get the seniority list and see if your seniority list is greater then anyone who promoted. If so it’s a done deal. They have no choice but to promote you and better yet, they can’t demote any of the ones they’ve already promoted. Everyone comes out a winner!!

21Savage

Simple, get the seniority list and see if your seniority list is greater then anyone who promoted. If so it’s a done deal. They have no choice but to promote you and better yet, they can’t demote any of the ones they’ve already promoted. Everyone comes out a winner!!
Everyone that got it had more seniority than me. I lost it by 1 spot. But one person who got it is out with an injury. Which was the point of my post.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Everyone that got it had more seniority than me. I lost it by 1 spot. But one person who got it is out with an injury. Which was the point of my post.
Then unfortunately you just missed the cut. Sorry but it’s that simple. Stay on top of things moving forward. The threshold is 25% so if they hire more 22.4’s or any RPCD’s retire, that will push you over the line.

barnyard

KTM rider
Interesting.
Our bids generally have a start date. "Must be available to start on xxx" So if a person is out on comp or disability, they can sign it, but if they cannot work the job, the lose the bid and it goes to the next one on the seniority list that signed. I have seen guys on comp sign bids and not get them because they were not available to work the job.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Interesting.
Our bids generally have a start date. "Must be available to start on xxx" So if a person is out on comp or disability, they can sign it, but if they cannot work the job, the lose the bid and it goes to the next one on the seniority list that signed. I have seen guys on comp sign bids and not get them because they were not available to work the job.
I’ve read that on here too, I’m curious if it’s because we have lifetime bids where I’m at. We once had a guy who was in deployment in the middle East claim he was not notified of bids. Went up the chain a bit before it was determined that we had done all we could be expected to do to notify him. Not sure what he expected but I certainly wasn’t catching the next flight to Kandahar to let him know.

Last edited:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Yeah my thing is, how can I prove who did and didn't sign unless I have a picture of the list at 11:59 pm the day it got taken down? They have the actual piece of paper.. They can just say say person did sign, even though I know they did not.
File on it and they'll have to show you the bid sheet.