Driver coming back from feeders .

Brownpride

Just bid and won a new route 2 weeks ago..

Problem is that the previous driver got laid off from feeders so he shows up 2 hours before start time helps preload load the truck and takes my route out.
Start time is not untill 9 he is out of the building at 8:20 the latest. Of course management love him for showing up and working off the clock and don't tell him anything.

Do I go to the union and file a grievance or what's the best way of solving this situation ?

over9five

Staff member

Problem is that the previous driver got laid off from feeders so he shows up 2 hours before start time helps preload load the truck and takes my route out.
Start time is not untill 9 he is out of the building at 8:20 the latest. Of course management love him for showing up and working off the clock and don't tell him anything.

Do I go to the union and file a grievance or what's the best way of solving this situation ?
First tell the little brown-nose not to take your route out, I'd start with that.

Indecisi0n

Depending on local His classification should have changed so he shouldn't be able to bump you (maybe a PTer) . Also it's your route not his if he probationary period is over. I would file.

I would also bring the truck keys home everyday by accident....

File a grievance for getting bumped off of your route. After they start paying out grievances, they won't let it happen anymore.

Not trying to mean here but sometimes you got to grow a pair and stand up for yourself.

clean hairy

Dave came out of retirememt?
Or, did he just show up and decide to run a route?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

Sup should have called him back immediately.

Also free money for the whole center! Everyone gets paid from when he left. If you are laid off you ain't driving.

ManInBrown

So you bid a drivers route who went to feeders? And then he returned and took his route back? The route should’ve never went up for bid in the first place. Here we have 30 working days to change our mind and return to package. The route doesn’t go up for bid until that time has elapsed.

Johney

Here if you are "feeder cover" meaning you have not gained seniority in feeders, but may work in feeders for months at a time when feeders doesn't need you, you go back to your bid run in package.They can not bid it out. Now if you gained seniority in feeders and you go back, you're the lowest unassigned package driver and get to pick up the garbage. Most laid off senior feeder drivers just go back to do reload stuff like Fueling, car wash as they are far to out of shape let's say to deliver.

Brownpride

So you bid a drivers route who went to feeders? And then he returned and took his route back? The route should’ve never went up for bid in the first place. Here we have 30 working days to change our mind and return to package. The route doesn’t go up for bid until that time has elapsed.
No
Here if you are "feeder cover" meaning you have not gained seniority in feeders, but may work in feeders for months at a time when feeders doesn't need you, you go back to your bid run in package.They can not bid it out. Now if you gained seniority in feeders and you go back, you're the lowest unassigned package driver and get to pick up the garbage. Most laid off senior feeder drivers just go back to do reload stuff like Fueling, car wash as they are far to out of shape let's say to deliver.
He was gone for months .. He left back in October for feeders . I guess is slow now so they don't need him.
They send like 6 drivers back from feeders this week All of them run whatever route is available or go home.

I guess what bothers me is that he acts like the route belongs to him and finishes the route by 3 pm and management is expecting me to do the same.

542thruNthru

Have you looked at your contract? Should managment have bid that route? Like @Johney said here they cannot bid a feeder drivers route unless he has won a bid in feeder.

Look at your contract and file.

Wally

No

He was gone for months .. He left back in October for feeders . I guess is slow now so they don't need him.
They send like 6 drivers back from feeders this week All of them run whatever route is available or go home.

I guess what bothers me is that he acts like the route belongs to him and finishes the route by 3 pm and management is expecting me to do the same.
He is a split driver, bottom in seniority. Sucks to be him but he has to work 2 part time shifts.

barnyard

KTM rider
This is covered in your contract supplement. We have had the same thing happen in my building. The feeder driver went back to his old route and the guy that had bid it went back to cover. Until the feeder driver is permanent in feeders, it is still his package route.

Wally

This is covered in your contract supplement. We have had the same thing happen in my building. The feeder driver went back to his old route and the guy that had bid it went back to cover. Until the feeder driver is permanent in feeders, it is still his package route.
Sounded like he was permanent feeders? He left back in October.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Basically the same thing happened to me. My first year in feeders, I went back to pkg in January. I asked for my old route back. I had been on it 8 years. Trained on it, it was given to me, and it's all I knew. I was never a cover driver. center manager told me too bad, so sad. It's this guy's route now and he is a runner gunner, and I'd be a cover driver. I took a strange route out. Started calling in for help around 930am. I had my old route back the next day. The second year I came back, I got my old route back, no issues but it was for just 2 months. Never went back to pkg after that.

Johney

Sounded like he was permanent feeders? He left back in October.
We have guys who have been in feeders since last summer and not obtained seniority in feeders. They just do WAD runs or may even cover a run from another building. Hell for that matter before guys started retiring and feeders took off there were a couple guys who bounced back and forth for years, one guy close to 10.

Wally

We have guys who have been in feeders since last summer and not obtained seniority in feeders. They just do WAD runs or may even cover a run from another building. Hell for that matter before guys started retiring and feeders took off there were a couple guys who bounced back and forth for years, one guy close to 10.
We gain seniority the day you start feeder driving as a transfer. You have 30 days to tell them if you are staying or not.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Here once you go to feeders that's it, you don't get 30 days think about it.

Wally

Here once you go to feeders that's it, you don't get 30 days think about it.
Like it or like it. Better be sure.

Even if you tell them you are going back to package here, they can keep you for 6 months. Seems fair after training you.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We have guys who won't come off the Q list because they like to have options, but it's pretty rare for someone to be on the Q list for more than a year without getting the chance to take a permanent feeder spot.