Driver Fired Today...

scisector9

We had a driver fired today for a tier I accident. I got the general story...he was at an intersection and didn't clear it, and got into a bad crash. I haven't seen pictures or gotten exact details, but I hope he and whoever else was involved is ok.

Being rather new to brown, I asked a couple of drivers and a sup today how likely he was to get his job back. I got some round about vague responses of "it depends on his record" or "some guys do, some guys don't", "hard to say", etc.

I know we have a couple of package car drivers at my center that have been fired at least once, and still work. My curiosity or interest is in how often do guys get their jobs back? Does anyone have personal experience with this or know of those who have? I know we have methods and we are all professional defensive drivers, but it seems like it would be more than human to have a slight moment of lack of focus where you forget to check mirrors or look left right left or forget to set the parking brake.

I feel for my union brother, and hope he gets reinstated soon. Be safe out there BC!

Cheers

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Ditto dude. Just a scare tactic. They know who they can depend on. But a bad accident you just never know. Guess it all depends really. We had 1 dude basically run the UPS truck through an electric company truck and now hes a full time supe, go figure lol.

Bald1der

Accidents do depend heavily on a driver's record. If you hit crossing traffic or push another car from behind at an intersection I'm pretty sure its a tier 3. Tier 1 seems to always refer to property damage or damaging the package car on an object.

scisector9

Accidents do depend heavily on a driver's record. If you hit crossing traffic or push another car from behind at an intersection I'm pretty sure its a tier 3. Tier 1 seems to always refer to property damage or damaging the package car on an object.

Yes tier 3. My bad...

Sent using BrownCafe App

Xexys

Retired and Happy
I worked with a driver that was tooling along at 55mph and an old man tried to cross the highway to the diner in the median. Wham, the driver hit the old man and killed him. He kept his job.

rod

Retired 22 years
Most everyone will be fired once or twice during their career. Unless you get caught sleeping with the DM's wife chances are you will get your job back.-----unless he already hates his wife- then you will get a raise.

Ouch

rod said:
Most everyone will be fired once or twice during their career. Unless you get caught sleeping with the DM's wife chances are you will get your job back.-----unless he already hates his wife- then you will get a raise.
Do you speak from experience? Lol lol lol.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
A lot depends on the time of year. Have an accident in December and you'll probably be back on the road the next day, in February though they might sit you down for a bit.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
His work record will weigh heavily on whether he gets his job back or not.

That can be a factor, in the company's decision to pursue a discharge.

What they really focus on.... is if the employee will be a future liability.

Just like the driver from your center. They gave her a "bite of the apple".

I wish her well.... But, she will be the center "punk" (for lack of a better word)

for the rest of her career. Every center needs (has) one.

-Bug-

rod

Retired 22 years
Do you speak from experience? Lol lol lol.

I had to think about this for a bit. First off I had 4 DM's in my career and never met any of their wives. I also had at least 9 center manager's and only met one of the wives. When it comes down to it it appears upper management don't want their wives associating with the peons. We used to have safe driving parties where the center manager, DM and a few other suits would show up for the free meal we had earned. They never brought their wives so I assume they were out on the town looking for love in all the wrong places or maybe even hooking up together.