Driver Helper Browns

arice11

I am no stranger to breaking and walking over the tedious rules at UPS.
This one bit of trouble I got into was wearing browns during the driver-helper orientation at another hub. The HR lady, who knew my name without asking or consulting the sign in sheet ;)
picked on me the whole time saying "you were suppose to return your brown" and "we can't have you keep your browns."
In fact several of my coworkers from the other hub confessed to having browns from previous years as well.

I've been with UPS for some time, I know the drill, you can't have the Browns just advertising on any bum bumming on the streets, but a brand is still a brand and wouldn't it be OK to let a seasoned employee keep a fitting set of browns?
I just don't understand why I always get into such trouble.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
This one bit of trouble I got into was wearing browns during the driver-helper orientation at another hub. The HR lady, who knew my name without asking or consulting the sign in sheet ;)
picked on me the whole time saying "you were suppose to return your brown" and "we can't have you keep your browns."
In fact several of my coworkers from the other hub confessed to having browns from previous years as well.

I've been with UPS for some time, I know the drill, you can't have the Browns just advertising on any bum bumming on the streets, but a brand is still a brand and wouldn't it be OK to let a seasoned employee keep a fitting set of browns?

You answered the last sentence with your opening sentence.

Mst3k

"I'm sorry, I didn't know" is how you should have replied. I've known employees who have had the police show up to collect the Browns. So your verbal spanking was nothing to complain about.

arice11

You answered the last sentence with your opening sentence.
Hey that was pretty actually pretty clever of me...haha, and you to notice.
Most the rules we all tend to break anyway, little things, like parkers shifting trucks in the morning, smoking a cig, preloaders moving trucks without vets, working before start time, tossing a box...everyone does something different to break the rules a little.

upschuck

It is a company policy to return the uniforms after your tenure of being a helper is over. Here, they threaten with a police visit to get browns back. LP takes that very seriously, because wearing browns gives you free access to a lot of places that other people just don't have.

arice11

"I'm sorry, I didn't know" is how you should have replied. I've known employees who have had the police show up to collect the Browns. So your verbal spanking was nothing to complain about.
How does it get that serious?
My union-steward told me to keep them, and i figured it was for a good reason.

arice11

It is a company policy to return the uniforms after your tenure of being a helper is over. Here, they threaten with a police visit to get browns back. LP takes that very seriously, because wearing browns gives you free access to a lot of places that other people just don't have.

I guess that makes sense...still pretty harsh. I'll return the bloody browns then...although it was worthwhile to see HR lady freak out I guess.
When she asked me "where did you get those browns?" I should have made up a cool story to see if anyone took me seriously.
OH WELL! I may just decide not to Driver Help and just get rolling on being a real driver. IDK!

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

Oh FFS!!! Hey....let's play use our GD brain. The problem isn't so much that you kept your browns. I have a few sets of browns and several jackets from jumping during previous summer peaks and after major snowstorms over the years.

The problem is...YOU WORE THEM to orientation, thus showing HR that you hadn't returned them. You cannot wear ANY part of a UPS uniform....even in the building working preload, or out in public off the clock. The only time you wear the uniform is if you are working as a helper. End of story.

PS. The fact that you wore browns to orientation shows what an attention seeking W** you are. Who were you trying to impress? ;)

Last edited:

arice11

Oh FFS!!! Hey....let's play use our GD brain. The problem idon't so much that you kept your browns. I have a set of browns and several jackets from jumping during summer peaks. The problem is...YOU WORE THEM to orientation, this showing HR that you hadn't returned them. You cannot wear any part of a UPS uniform....even in the building working preload, or out in public off the clock. The only time you wear the uniform is if you are working as a helper. End of story.
You're right of course. I do things on purpose to stir up boring initiations, happens to me more often then I'd like, but I wouldn't have guessed that it had such a degree of seriousness. IS all I'm saying.

rod

Retired 22 years
They used to hold the last check for the Christmas helpers until they had turned in their browns. They never had a problem getting them back.

arice11

See the thread,about the UPS uniforms sold on e-bay.
Plus you may use them to get free food from DQ.

Sorry couldn't pass that up

Is it true?
Cause I will iron these scrappy browns and polish my boots. Shave and shower and even deliver real damn packages to them if this is true?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.