Driver Helper Shoes/boots

wisconsinwinter

Should a driver helper in Wisconsin be wearing shoes or boots? I'd think boots would be hard to run in.

The lady said brown or black non slip shoes. Not tennis shoes or dress shoes. So I'm going to have to buy some new footwear,but what kind are good?

Also after Christmas I may apply for package handler, are shoe/boot requirements the same for that position?

Thanks

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I can't speak for all hubs...but as far as my hub...wear whatever you want as long as you are there every day and on time.

You need to read a little more slowly next time. The OP is a seasonal helper.

To the OP----boots would be the better option, especially in Wisconsin. There are only 13 days left----if it were me I wouldn't go out and buy a brand new pair of boots unless I planned on wearing them outside of work.

oldngray

nowhere special
I almost never wore boots, even in winter. It really depends on the area and the route. And I would rotate shoes in winter so I always started with a dry pair.

phox1515

I wear shoes... not tennis shoes but not dress shoes either... i own a pair of steel toes too, but i wore those for 10 months in americorps.

upschuck

To the OP----boots would be the better option, especially in Wisconsin. There are only 13 days left----if it were me I wouldn't go out and buy a brand new pair of boots unless I planned on wearing them outside of work.

You might do the same.

To the OP: I would not go out and by a pair unless you have nothing to wear, then something cheap. Just wear something that comfortable and sturdy. No one will care if you show up.

If you get hired after peak in the hub, the requirements are the same as mentioned by the "lady".

upschuck

Why you disagree Up? Post #2 was responding to the second question the OP asked. The other part of my post resembles yours.

gregdutchmol

I was actually talking about the seasonal helper position. I "technically" work out of the hub? So far the other seasonal helpers that I see don't even wear UPS uniforms...I wear full uniform and hat...maybe my driver just likes me :P...We are on a remote route so only one of our drivers comes from the hub.

brownette

@)>-%---
:congratualtions:Hi Wisconsin Winter! Welcome! Congratulations on your new job! Yes, boots can be awkward to run in, (however, we’re to walk at a brisk pace, not run). Some boots can feel very heavy after a while when it comes to climbing in and out of the steps of the truck repeatedly. Snow, slush and ice make the steps and floors of the trucks slippery, too, so always use the handrails of the trucks. I’ve noticed that there are four important qualities in footwear for a Driver Helper position; non-slip soles, waterproof/waterresistant, warm, and lightweight.

Every day I bring a backup pair of socks, to change during the shift if my feet start to feel damp, cold and uncomfortable, from sweat, environment, etc.

I don’t know the shoe requirements for Package Handler, but I think that’s mostly indoors, so waterproof/waterresistant might not be a priority.You won’t regret investing in good footwear.

JCPenney and Sears department stores have a good selection of Totes brand boots. Last year I had great luck with affordable boots called Eve made by Totes. Good luck to you!

brownette

@)>-%---
Post post script for wisconsinwinter,

Our temperature is currently -2.7° with a wind chill of -3.°

Wear form fitting gloves with a firm grip, like leather, because the handrails on the truck are cold, and you get a more secure grip on the packages. Wear a short scarf, not too long with anything hanging that can get caught on the truck or somebody's fence gate.

Wear multiple layers, but not too tight, because body temperature air is the insulator you want.

Sometimes I will wear a ski mask with ski goggles, because the rims on my eyeglasses get really cold.

Unless your skin is acclimated to it, exposed skin can start to burn from frostnip into frostbite after just ten minutes outside in certain weather conditions, which you won’t notice at first because the skin will be numb.

Watch the forecasts for Winter Weather Advisories.

I love working outdoors, which is one reason I love being a Driver Helper!

Have fun shopping!

gingerkat

^^^
What? Frostbite in 10 minutes? Clearly OP is from Wisconsin, so she'll know what the weather is like. Every part of the state is different so it's very difficult to say. I'm from the way north going towards the UP, and I never got close to frostbite EVER - and I hardly ever wore the right stuff.

Wear whatever is comfortable on your feet. Feet get cold fast. But, boots are very expensive. Maybe a heavy shoe with a warm insulated sock would be better?

Good luck cheesehead!

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I bought them about a month ago. They were 69.99 but the sale was spend over 100.00 and get 25% off. So i bought 2 pairs for 104.00. That comes out to 54 bux a piece. Did i need 2 pairs no i didnt. I figured spend 34 more bux and get 2 pairs, it was kind of a no brainer really. Their real light and waterproof. I bought size 11 ee. I figured id buy them a half size bigger just in case they ran small and i like to wear 2 pairs of wool socks in the winter and thats another reason i went with the 2e.