Driver Helper Tips

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Its that time of the year again. Why don't we post some tips on how to best use a Helper to get through the next thirteen Peak Season delivery days? Some of us have been using Helpers for years, and some are new at this. Lets share some of that deep sea of Brown Cafe knowledge and help each other here. What say you?

upsgrunt

I feel like there should NEVER be any time where both you and the helper are doing nothing. Likewise there should be very, very limited times when even one of you is doing nothing. What makes using a helper hard is now you the driver has to think for two people and that is tiring in itself. You have to keep yourself busy as well as the helper, get the load sorted, visualize trace, keep both of you safe, and tell them which house and where to leave it. It may be less demanding on you body using a helper, but mentally it always just drained me.

sano

I feel like there should NEVER be any time where both you and the helper are doing nothing. Likewise there should be very, very limited times when even one of you is doing nothing. What makes using a helper hard is now you the driver has to think for two people and that is tiring in itself. You have to keep yourself busy as well as the helper, get the load sorted, visualize trace, keep both of you safe, and tell them which house and where to leave it. It may be less demanding on you body using a helper, but mentally it always just drained me.

The driver I am helping said the same thing. He says its like driving, the faster you are going the further you need to look ahead. Its like a chess game, the more moves you can think ahead, the better you will play.

barnyard

KTM rider
I make sure to thank my helper every day and remind them they did a good job and that I are looking forward to tomorrow.

You have to be sincere.

I also try to take my helper to lunch at least twice during the season (I buy.)

TB

705red

Browncafe Steward
If you pull into a cul-de-sac, drop the helper off with the delivery turn around and pick the helper back up on the way out.

As the helper is going to the stop, continue to sort the packages and lining up stop for stop, if you use the same helper time how long it takes him to get back to the truck and be in the seat at the same time he is.

Once you get set up stop for stop at least the next 7 or 8 stops, you deliver the driver side of the street as he does the passenger side. At no time should you just sit in the truck and wait for him.

Teach them how to use the diad from day one, i can send my helper into an office building with 3 prerecorded stops, which saves me time as I'm delivering other stops at the same time.

If you have signature stops coming up, fill out the notices and have them on the package as to not waste time at the door, this will speed you up also.

I'M on an average of an hour and a half to two hours over everyday, but during peak i can run scratch to bonus with a helper.

A Lot of drivers i hear say the helper is making squat, well yes to us what they are making is squat, but they signed up for this job, so don't be afraid to tell the helper to pick up the pace, or even drop off the helper if they are slowing you down. Sort out the truck the best you can and once you have it sorted, your helper has served their purpose and you can do it.

Praise helps, everyone likes to hear their doing a good job, so don't be shy on telling them.

Mike Hawk

As a preloader who has done a lot of helping, I can second everything red said. The part about putting filled out delivery notices on the package(scanned into the prerecorded stop as well) helps a lot. One of the drivers I helped celebrates with his family on Xmas eve, so if he doesn't have a helper I will be out there busting my ass on Xmas eve until he is done, he was a really cool driver and treated me well. Kindness goes a long way and usually ends up right back at you.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
When I saw the heading of this topic I thought you meant how much should we tip helpers after peak.

That can be discussed too. My helper is a 35 year old woman who is laid off from her job as a car hauler. She weighs 110 lbs soaking wet, but gives it her all. She shows up at the meet point 5-10 minutes early every day and is ready to go. She helps me sort and look for missing packages, figured out the DIAD 3, and is always cheerful for a measly $8.50 an hour. I will tip her at least a hundred bucks Christmas Eve if she shows up every day.

browndevil

When I saw the heading of this topic I thought you meant how much should we tip helpers after peak.
Me too! Anyway it is usually 25.00 dollars and I always buy lunch. If I have the same person for three weeks on Friday I will hand them a 5.00 bill and tell them the first pint is on me and see you Monday same place same time.:happy2:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Thanks Scratch. We stopped at the gas station Fri nite after we got done and I bought him a soda. Unfortunately I will probably see a different helper nearly everyday from now til Christmas. It's kinda hard to develop a working relationship with any one jumper.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
You could get them a box of Kleenex. It would come in handy when they see their 1st pay ck.

Friday I handed mine her Thanksgiving week paycheck, which was for three days. I felt bad, but she was happy with the free Safety Habits T-Shirt I gave her.

I try to treat my Helper like I like to be treated. I get her side of the Package Car as close as I can to the delivery point. I tell her in advance before I stop how I will park and where I want the package left. I run the stops on the left side of the street, while she works the right. I get the heavier boxes. And I always thank her at the end of the day when we get through.

barnyard

KTM rider
I also give my helper all the safety hats (usually UPS racing stuff) and tshirts that I have won throughout the year.

I am not a nascar fan....

TB

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
1. Be polite. I always try to say "please" when instructing the helper what to do. I explain to him that Im not a manager and dont like to boss people around but that it will be neccessary for me to give instructions in a polite manner.

2. Always inform them when you are at or will soon be at a location with a restroom. They gotta pee sometime.

3. Ignore your management if they try instructing you to cut back on the helpers hours. If the guy shows up on time ready to work, make sure he gets at least 8 hours. I once had a sup who insisted on micromanaging how and where I used my helper, to the point where he told me to drop the guy off at a gas station for 3 hours during my pickup route, and then get him back on car again for the evening residentials. I had 4 helpers quit on me because they were spending the entire day in brown but only getting 4 hours of paid time. If management wants to get pissy about it I tell them to go ahead and manage the helper themselves and leave me out of it. Its 8+ hours or nothing with me.

4. Take personal responsibility for seeing that your helpers timecard is accurately filled out and turned in. Helpers who get shorted on their paycheck dont work as hard.

5. Coffee. Lots and lots and lots of coffee. I keep my helper tweaking out on coffee and energy drinks.

6. Have reasonable expectations for the person making $8.50 an hour who has probably never been exposed to the hectic pace of UPS. They arent going to work as fast as we would liken them to. Deal with it. Remember that they could be making as much money working at Taco Bell, and get free food in the bargain. Push them too hard and they might just decide to not show up one day.

jedster

That can be discussed too. My helper is a 35 year old woman who is laid off from her job as a car hauler. She weighs 110 lbs soaking wet, but gives it her all. She shows up at the meet point 5-10 minutes early every day and is ready to go. She helps me sort and look for missing packages, figured out the DIAD 3, and is always cheerful for a measly $8.50 an hour. I will tip her at least a hundred bucks Christmas Eve if she shows up every day.

Wow only pre-loader pay for your helpers? Our helpers get paid $12.88 and seasonal/permanent pre-loaders get $8.50. Our facility is a 19-20 car facility when we are in peak and 16-17 car facility in the off season. How big is your facility?

I've never been a helper, but as far as tips for drivers I would say to just encourage your helpers and don't talk down to them. It will not only make them work harder, but also I think they will learn faster. Keeping them positive will make a huge difference. That kept me w/ UPS when I started pre-loading last peak. I would have not lasted otherwise and now i've worked my way up to top pre-loader which is a nice place to be right now.

PaidDriveTime?

Ive been a helper for the same guy now for a couple weeks and will probably be with him until christmas. I can honestly say that he appreciates my help which is a big thing for me. It makes me want to work harder and help him get done as early as I can. I think the consistency is important as well since you know what you are getting from each other and you dont have to keep telling them the little things.

Typically while im running a stop off or doing a business, he will be in the back bringing the next stops to the front, and bagging any DR stops that he knows wont be under any type of protection.

Also I was wondering about you guys talking about some of your helpers only making 8.50? What is that all about? We make 12.88 where I am.

Mike Hawk

Ive been a helper for the same guy now for a couple weeks and will probably be with him until christmas. I can honestly say that he appreciates my help which is a big thing for me. It makes me want to work harder and help him get done as early as I can. I think the consistency is important as well since you know what you are getting from each other and you dont have to keep telling them the little things.

Typically while im running a stop off or doing a business, he will be in the back bringing the next stops to the front, and bagging any DR stops that he knows wont be under any type of protection.

Also I was wondering about you guys talking about some of your helpers only making 8.50? What is that all about? We make 12.88 where I am.
It varies by contract, I get 11.00 an hour in my supplement or rider as an inside helper.

New Englander

I've got the best helper yet in 6 years on road. 26 year old female. College educated, not afraid of work etc....

I take personal pride in how hard I work. I also understand a helper is making a third of what we are. So in effect.......I baby her a bit. I'll take the hand cart and nail of the close bulk stops while she'll take thestroll with the onesand two's as I'm much faster on the board.

it works for us....been an enjoyable peak so far.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
I've got the best helper yet in 6 years on road. 26 year old female. College educated, not afraid of work etc....

I take personal pride in how hard I work. I also understand a helper is making a third of what we are. So in effect.......I baby her a bit. I'll take the hand cart and nail of the close bulk stops while she'll take thestroll with the onesand two's as I'm much faster on the board.

it works for us....been an enjoyable peak so far.

Are you sure the close bulk stops are the only things you're going to "nail"?

New Englander

Sweet girl. Going to make someone happy when she settles down after grad school.

The fact that she is attractive is pure bonus this peak! :)