Driver Helpers Are Here! Let's cut some routes!

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
If people would stop voluntarily going home they would not be so ready to cut routes. Think about it, if they had to pay 3 or 4 full time drivers top pay to be helpers for a guaranteed 8hrs it would not make much sense!!

undies

There are way too many old timers that are just here for the benefits, they would go home every day if they had the chance.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you are a casual and they cut your route, add the volume to another and use a helper-FILE!

File on what? Casuals are not guaranteed to work everyday. Yes, cutting a route, adding a helper and not using the casuals sucks, but is not against the contract. Now, if the OP is a FT cover driver, he/she would then have a legitimate grievance. Casuals have little to no protection under the contract.

menotyou

bella amicizia
File on what? Casuals are not guaranteed to work everyday. Yes, cutting a route, adding a helper and not using the casuals sucks, but is not against the contract. Now, if the OP is a FT cover driver, he/she would then have a legitimate grievance. Casuals have little to no protection under the contract.
File because you can't use a helper over an inside qualified driver. I realize in the Bubble of Goodness, they never violate the contract, so you never deal with these situations. But, you yourself made some smartass comment to one of my posts where I did this. Funny how my Subaru(one of the claims made was they didn't have the trucks) was filled to the brim with a route. when emptied, I would meet and greet with the Cape Vincent/A. Bay drivers and take stops of of them. 3 years of this.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

A casual driver does not have any guaranteed hours and is basically SOL when mgt decides to cut areas and use helpers. The casual could offer to be used as a helper but would most likely not get their usual rate of pay.

I made the smart ass comment because you have a bad habit of "one-upping" things, hence the "Anything you can do I can do better" comment.

menotyou

bella amicizia
A casual driver does not have any guaranteed hours and is basically SOL when mgt decides to cut areas and use helpers. The casual could offer to be used as a helper but would most likely not get their usual rate of pay.

I made the smart ass comment because you have a bad habit of "one-upping" things, hence the "Anything you can do I can do better" comment.
You are wrong about the use of a casual. As far as 'one-upping', I think you have me beat on that one. I am sharing what I have done to ensure the contract was followed correctly as far as it pertains to me. I realize a strong woman intimidates you, hence the need for you to be, well, you.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Casuals call in each morning (unless already scheduled) and are told whether they are needed or not. If mgt decides to use helpers rather than casuals there is not a damn thing they can do about it other than volunteering to work as a helper. I have already said that cutting routes, using helpers and not using casuals is morally wrong but is not contractually wrong. Please provide a reference from our supplement which indicates otherwise.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Casuals call in each morning (unless already scheduled) and are told whether they are needed or not. If mgt decides to use helpers rather than casuals there is not a damn thing they can do about it other than volunteering to work as a helper. I have already said that cutting routes, using helpers and not using casuals is morally wrong but is not contractually wrong. Please provide a reference from our supplement which indicates otherwise.
I referenced my own personal experience coming from the same local, same division, same supplements. I have no clue what Brian did, but all my Subaru's were packed full daily. I am a qualified driver. They can not use a helper over me. Call the union hall, you know the #. If not, look it up. You ask. I'm busy on twitter.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I have been a helper many times while making driver pay. It's awesome. No stress about making decisions no chance of getting in an accident. You get paid like a driver to sit in the jump seat. I don't understand why anyone would turn down that gig.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I have been a helper many times while making driver pay. It's awesome. No stress about making decisions no chance of getting in an accident. You get paid like a driver to sit in the jump seat. I don't understand why anyone would turn down that gig.
I always offered, but then(go figure) they would load the Subaru. Heated seats, radio, and all wheel drive. Bonus!! Either way is fine as long as the employee is being paid/coded correctly.

onehandsolo

Personaly I will not feel sorry for management Tuesday and Wednesday next week and peak week when they finaly work every driver available and packages still get missed. They have been abusing the drivers with 11 to 12.5 hour days while cutting routes. Not a good strategy this time of year alot of use are worn down and not much left in the tank.

undies

I am a full time utility driver, have been for 6 years. I am guaranteed 8 hours a day and to work over cover drivers.