Driver Helpers

Zowert

It’s that time of year. I’d like to hear some helper horror stories, the worst of the worst. I’ll start.

I had a kid last peak that showed up wearing flip flops, basketball shorts and a dirty t-shirt. He smelled like pee. When he came up to me at the meet point I was like, “Nope, you’re not my helper. Call the center I think you’re with another driver.” Then I left, called my supe and let him know, he said alright let me find you another one. An hour later I get a page with a new helper’s number, call him up and tell him where to meet. Dude never showed up so I said friend it and worked on my own. Around 300 stops. Had to have another driver come take stops off me and guess what, his helper was still with him. “Dude I have the best helper. I drive and sort while he runs most of the stops off.”

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
My helper a few years back had just been released from jail a few months prior. She lived with daughters boyfriend who was about 15 years older than her.

So she lived with her daughter? Nope. Her daughter was still in jail. She didn’t even need ri deliver anything. Her stories everyday were entertainment enough.

retired2000

This was before jump seats had a helper standing in the step well pulled to the side of the road for delivery and he fell out right into a snow bank

RockinRobin

We are ALL being WATCHED!
This goes back quite a few years when I was a helper. My driver dropped me off at twilight in the absolute worst part of the city during a very bitter cold snap after a heavy snow. This part of the city had unplowed streets and no sidewalks. At least there were no sidewalks that I could use with the heavy frozen snow and ice. He put out the hand cart piled high with packages and said, "See you in an hour or two."

Not long after he leaves, I'm trudging through the snow piles and frozen ice ruts with packages falling everywhere. A US Mail truck stops and asks me what the hell I'm doing walking around this part of the city near dark with all these packages without my truck. I tell him I'm a driver's helper and the driver dropped me off to make hand deliveries via cart. He shakes his head and says, "Good Luck. You'll need it." About 30 minutes later it's getting pretty dark and a Deputy Sheriff stops and askes me if I need help, assuming my truck had broken down. I explain what I'm doing. He says, "Whatever they are paying you, it's not enough."

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
This goes back quite a few years when I was a helper. My driver dropped me off at twilight in the absolute worst part of the city during a very bitter cold snap after a heavy snow. This part of the city had unplowed streets and no sidewalks. At least there were no sidewalks that I could use with the heavy frozen snow and ice. He put out the hand cart piled high with packages and said, "See you in an hour or two."

Not long after he leaves, I'm trudging through the snow piles and frozen ice ruts with packages falling everywhere. A US Mail truck stops and asks me what the hell I'm doing walking around this part of the city near dark with all these packages without my truck. I tell him I'm a driver's helper and the driver dropped me off to make hand deliveries via cart. He shakes his head and says, "Good Luck. You'll need it." About 30 minutes later it's getting pretty dark and a Deputy Sheriff stops and askes me if I need help, assuming my truck had broken down. I explain what I'm doing. He says, "Whatever they are paying you, it's not enough."
Were you wearing flip flops, basketball shorts, and a dirty Tshirt that smelled of pee?

Zowert

Were you wearing flip flops, basketball shorts, and a dirty Tshirt that smelled of pee?
Hahaha, this kid legit smelled like cat piss. It was overwhelming, no way in hell was I letting him on my truck. I was hoping he brought a change of clothes, or some sneakers at least. Nope. Rolled out of bed in his mother’s basement, put on a pair of flip flops and got on the bus to meet me.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
A few years ago when they were bringing in helpers to the building on a chartered bus one of them got mad over his paycheck so he grabbed the microwave out of the breakroom on his way out in the evening. One of the center managers had to go out to the bus and get the microwave back, then they called the cops and had the guy arrested in the parking lot.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
A few years ago when they were bringing in helpers to the building on a chartered bus one of them got mad over his paycheck so he grabbed the microwave out of the breakroom on his way out in the evening. One of the center managers had to go out to the bus and get the microwave back, then they called the cops and had the guy arrested in the parking lot.
Weren’t the helpers from a homeless shelter in DC?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I had one once that smelled like straight up ass drove around the block and dumped him out told him don’t comeback until you wash your stinky ass

Never saw him again