Driver leaves in underwear

iamhuge

Banned
Last week, during a production ride, a San Francisco driver refused to double park for a delivery. After parking legally, the superviser fired him on the spot. Driver said, "ok, i don't work for you anymore", and gave the superviser his uniform and walked away in his underwear. I got this confirmed by a business agent. Funny stuff going on.

FedEX 4 Life

This sounds made up.Also,arent the Teamsters there to help prevent things just like this from not happening?I didnt know you can get fired from UPS for parking legally.

This has to be a joke.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

He was probably in the Castro district.

Cuba?

Back to the OP--I assume he was fired for insubordination. He can and should grieve this and will probably have it reduced to a suspension, time served with/without back pay. I would be curious as to how far he had to drive to park legally and whether the double parking would really have been that much of an issue. I try not to double park but there are instances where I have no choice. Well, to be fair, I do have a choice, but double parking provides me the most efficient manner in which to make the deliveries as I would have to drive around the corner and then use the hand cart.

Work as directed.

Hedley_Lamarr

Last week, during a production ride, a San Francisco driver refused to double park for a delivery. After parking legally, the superviser fired him on the spot. Driver said, "ok, i don't work for you anymore", and gave the superviser his uniform and walked away in his underwear. I got this confirmed by a business agent. Funny stuff going on.
I don't believe this. They can't fire you for that...

over9five

Staff member
Interesting.

They can surely fire you for "failure to follow".

But I don't believe they can order you to do something illegal or unsafe, both of which may apply here.

Either way, I suspect he'll have his job back.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They can fire you for any dam thing they want! Not everything will stick though. In this case, failure to follow instuctions. Ill let ya know more when i find out next week.

If you can, find out how far he had to drive to park legally and why he didn't want to double park? Thanks.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
If he did double park and received a ticket...would he have to pay for it??? If that is the case then I wouldnt double park either. If he would have double park and another car tried to squeeze by and scratched the package car guess whos fault that would be even if he said, " I was just working as directed..I was told to double park at this location." Its really a no win situation. We keep on hearing two things here, safely lifting and lowering, and parking safely, OUT OF OTHER CARS WAYS EVEN IF IT MEANS WALKING A LITTLE LONGER. But under the surface production is king, driver rides are way up, harassment is also up( and I dont use that word lightly). They want us to focus on volume, get involved with advantage ups sales program, they want us to get involved with upspac, they want us to give better service to customers, they want us to write our congressmen about this whole brownbailout business. I am happy to do all of the above, but to ride folks who are truly working by the methods and trying to keep safe and productive and just dont have the allowance in their runs is just crap...especially when there are other drivers who are way over allowed who are giving away work daily to stay under 9.5 and who really are milking it. And they want to know why they loose some of the good ones into going more pro union...it starts here folks.Some of the sups know whats going on and have said they do not like it and they think it has gone totally overboard, including some of the things they have to do right how, including their own workload going way up, but they dont dare pipe up.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Cold, you make some very valid points but what is the firt thing your steward and/or BA is going to tell you? Work as directed and then discuss it afterward.

The parking ticket is simply their cost of doing business; in fact, in some of the larger cities, they simply pay a negotiated amount each year in lieu of paying each ticket.

As far as possible damage to the PC, if he was told to park there then the blame is on the supervisor.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I call BS. The company can't "fire you on the spot", even for a cardinal sin. A shop steward has to be present. And at least in my building, the DM wants to know about it before the center manager whacks somebody.

Johney

I call BS. The company can't "fire you on the spot", even for a cardinal sin. A shop steward has to be present. And at least in my building, the DM wants to know about it before the center manager whacks somebody.
Can they now get him for job abandonment?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Cold, you make some very valid points but what is the firt thing your steward and/or BA is going to tell you? Work as directed and then discuss it afterward.

The parking ticket is simply their cost of doing business; in fact, in some of the larger cities, they simply pay a negotiated amount each year in lieu of paying each ticket.

As far as possible damage to the PC, if he was told to park there then the blame is on the supervisor.

I could see that if an accident happen on the day a sup was out with you, but what about a day where they wernt, Im sure in sanfrancisco the drivers double park daily, multiple times but If the driver did get hit I would think ups would try to get the driver on it. You know how it is...even if the sup said to allways double park in this area.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Can they now get him for job abandonment?
I wouldn't be surprised :happy-very:. Job abandonment was the big catch all phrase around here for a while. Before that it was "workplace sabotage!" No matter what you did, it was some form of workplace sabotage...

Coldworld

60 months and counting

I didnt think "work as directed" was a cardinal sin?