Driver/manager

I've been with express about 3 years as a swing driver and recently submitted my resume to a ground contractor for a "manger/driver" position.

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever done this, he told me the only time I would be driving would be for sick calls and even then I could shift work and not run a whole route.

It caught my eye since he offered 50k a year salary while this year at express I'll gross about 48k with a ton of overtime. Just seems like it would be easier on my body in the long run

dezguy

I've been with express about 3 years as a swing driver and recently submitted my resume to a ground contractor for a "manger/driver" position.

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever done this, he told me the only time I would be driving would be for sick calls and even then I could shift work and not run a whole route.

It caught my eye since he offered 50k a year salary while this year at express I'll gross about 48k with a ton of overtime. Just seems like it would be easier on my body in the long run
I was offered something like this, maybe 5 years back. Pretty much the same sales pitch.

Was never really serious about it but when I found out there were no benefits or pension, I turned the contractor down.

IMO $50 000 a year isn't enough to manage employees and be the company bitch in case of sick calls.

If you're looking to save your body, take the tuition reimbursement and go to night school. A corporate security course would get you into security and net you more money than being a manger/driver.

bacha29

With peak right around the corner it's a poor time to become " manger" whatever that is and driver because rest assured you'll be spending the vast majority of your time in the truck and to a greater extent under the truck.

STFXG

It's a solid gig. You'll be busy during peak but most of the year it's gravy. Usually training new guys and filling in. We pay well for that position because we don't want to deal with the nonsense. A good driver/manager saves so many headaches.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
It's a solid gig. You'll be busy during peak but most of the year it's gravy. Usually training new guys and filling in. We pay well for that position because we don't want to deal with the nonsense. A good driver/manager saves so many headaches.

What do you consider "well" ?

Purplepackage

So if during peak he will be driving all the time, and non peak he fills in for drivers.......then exactly what part of this "management" at all? Sounds like a cover driver lol

bbsam

Staff member
So if during peak he will be driving all the time, and non peak he fills in for drivers.......then exactly what part of this "management" at all? Sounds like a cover driver lol
A lot of it. Conducting interviews, dealing with complaints, disputed deliveries, transporting vehicles to and from shop, driver training, safety meetings. Really just about anything the owner can't or doesn't want to do. You know, a manager.

Last edited:

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
A lot of it. Conducting interviews, dealing with complaints, disputed deliveries, transporting vehicles to and from shop, driver training, safety meetings. Really just about anything the owner can't or doesn't want to do. You know, a manager.
Bureaucracy without authority, only accountability. Doesn't pay well enough.

vantexan

With the new pay plan you'll be making more soon. Why not consider management at Express? You've already got your foot in the door.

NYCFXG

I tell all my managers the same thing. Your best day as a manager will be better than your best day as a driver. Your worst day as a manager will likely be worse than your worst day as a driver. During July and August they drive fairly regularly. Rest of the year they are mostly handling overflow, meeting new accounts checking up on DDs. Using FCC to move pick ups and answering calls from terminal. Every one of my drivers want their job. BBsam basically broke down what they do. Yet with everything they are doing I still manage to stay pretty busy.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

How many routes does he have?

If he has 30 or so, it might be worth it. It might be a waste of time working for a smaller contractor who is less likely to have his act together and might need to change the conditions of your employment every so often to meet his needs. As bad as Express is, there is structure and (usually) avenues for recourse if there are problems and disagreements.

If I'm in your shoes I want a larger contractor who has a better track record as opposed to a smaller outfit.

FedGT

How many routes does he have?

If he has 30 or so, it might be worth it. It might be a waste of time working for a smaller contractor who is less likely to have his act together and might need to change the conditions of your employment every so often to meet his needs. As bad as Express is, there is structure and (usually) avenues for recourse if there are problems and disagreements.

If I'm in your shoes I want a larger contractor who has a better track record as opposed to a smaller outfit.

30 routes???
Very few have 30 routes 8+ is easily capabale in most instances to pay well and have decent flexible hours. 1 or 2 guys with 30 routes plan on full time truck duty. There is little chance for a ground contractor to be running great staff with 30 routes that isn't constantly turning multiple drivers a couple times a month.