Driver Question

DazedandConfused

I am new here and need advice. Upon becoming an p/t air driver and then a p/t cover driver can I assume that upon my first wage progression that I am given a seniority date for that job classification? The National agreement calls it a seniority date, but am told otherwise. Your thoughts?

I am new here and need advice. Upon becoming an p/t air driver and then a p/t cover driver can I assume that upon my first wage progression that I am given a seniority date for that job classification? The National agreement calls it a seniority date, but am told otherwise. Your thoughts?
Generally speaking you're assumption is correct. However, if you are just hired it won't apply because no time toward seniority is acquired during a certain time period before the peak season. The exact dates may vary from one conference to another, so I can't tell you when the shut off date is where you are.

DazedandConfused

I have achieved the top rate for both categories 2-3 years ago. Now they are trying to change every p/t job classifiction to be run solely off one p/t company seniority list. They (the local) wants just one list for friend/t'ers and one for p/t'ers. They say it is easier that way and I suppose it would be, but I don't see where the National agreement supports it if they grants drivers a seniority at the first wage progression. I understand it to be Job classification seniority.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

I can only say what goes on here. We don't have job classification here. Only two lists - FT and PT. FT always seniority over PT. PT seniority date is the day you started, none other exist.

I have achieved the top rate for both categories 2-3 years ago. Now they are trying to change every p/t job classifiction to be run solely off one p/t company seniority list. They (the local) wants just one list for friend/t'ers and one for p/t'ers. They say it is easier that way and I suppose it would be, but I don't see where the National agreement supports it if they grants drivers a seniority at the first wage progression. I understand it to be Job classification seniority.
OH OK, I see what you are asking now. I misunderstood in the first post. sorry
Here we do just have two lists also, friend/T and P/T. People like you(qualified for either job) would be selected to work for which ever route they needed filled. You would have bumping privileges according to seniority and would be paid at the rate for the job you were preforming.
hope this helps

DazedandConfused

Kind of helps....you understand that I am a P/T employee, right? I started out in preload and went to drivers school when the center posted the sign-up sheet. I and others came out under the assumption(promise) that upon qualifying for either p/t air or p/t cover we would be worked by our qualifying date. Our center has run that way for approx. the last 18-20 years or more. Does your answer remain the same knowing this? We grieved against the union, not Big Brown. Everything I seem to find out in the National agreement, my local seems to re-butt.

UPSGUY72

How many days a week do you Drive air or Cover Drive. When your not driving are your working the preload or loacal sort or not working? You need to look under your rider. There might be different rule in your area.

In my area cover drivers are full time unless there are casual drivers. Air drivers are full time to except for some of the guys that drive on SAT are PT time.

DazedandConfused

Have only cover driven the last 3 1/2 yrs and have averaged over 40 hrs a week (except for vacation weeks and the first few months of the year). Haven't worked inside since. Have worked as a Saturday air driver at least every other weekend this year and most of them last year. Each of us affected know 14-15 different bid runs, so most of the time at least one of our FT drivers is wanting the day off and they let him because there is coverage. Most of the time, we are on added runs. Our book have very little written about cover drivers.....that is mainly the problem.

UPSGUY72

Have only cover driven the last 3 1/2 yrs and have averaged over 40 hrs a week (except for vacation weeks and the first few months of the year). Haven't worked inside since. Have worked as a Saturday air driver at least every other weekend this year and most of them last year. Each of us affected know 14-15 different bid runs, so most of the time at least one of our FT drivers is wanting the day off and they let him because there is coverage. Most of the time, we are on added runs. Our book have very little written about cover drivers.....that is mainly the problem.

You sound like a full time driver to me. You said you have talk to your stewart. How about your business agent? I'd file a grievance because it appears you are getting the shaft.

DazedandConfused

Our stewards are sick of hearing from our group but extend us the courtesy of listening to us. They are pretty much saying now that it is a done deal and if we are dead-set on continuing on this course to bring a lawyer. They have gotten the word from one of the Union big boys in Albany that "Seniority is Seniority". My problem is how or where that seniority is taken from.

UPSGUY72

Have you read your rider? What does it say about cover drivers if anything. IF it doesn't say anything about them your a full time driver? and your senority date should have been the day you started driving school.

Did you talk to your business agent ? If not call him. Why your at it file a grievance. If you let them push you around they will so stand up for yourself.

DazedandConfused

There is clear wording in the book for PT Air, FT Air , and FT Bid Drivers. The 31st day for a full time driver is his/her new seniority date. Can a FT person who has always worked inside and never wanted to drive come out and jump ahead based on their Center or Company seniority?

UPSGUY72

There is clear wording in the book for PT Air, FT Air , and FT Bid Drivers. The 31st day for a full time driver is his/her new seniority date. Can a FT person who has always worked inside and never wanted to drive come out and jump ahead based on their Center or Company seniority?

If there is no wording on COVER DRIVERS you are a full time driver you just don't have a route you can bid on routes but you don't have enough senority to get one but you are still a full time driver and should be getting paid accordingly.

DazedandConfused

There is very little written about it in an amendment to the rider. They title the section as "New PT Cover Driver" but refer to us as temporary cover drivers. It does say that we maintain our PT benefits and entitlements.

brownrodster

Kind of helps....you understand that I am a P/T employee, right? I started out in preload and went to drivers school when the center posted the sign-up sheet. I and others came out under the assumption(promise) that upon qualifying for either p/t air or p/t cover we would be worked by our qualifying date. Our center has run that way for approx. the last 18-20 years or more. Does your answer remain the same knowing this? We grieved against the union, not Big Brown. Everything I seem to find out in the National agreement, my local seems to re-butt.

Not how it works here. It's by pt seniority. There is not air driver seniority list.

If the most senior PTer decided to become an air driver he would get first dibs over anyone else who's been doing air driver longer.

DazedandConfused

That is how our local wants it to work from now on. How do you interpret the word SENIORITY and SENIORITY DATE as detailed in the wage progression for PTand FT Air drivers in Article 40?? If they do gain a seniority date at the first wage progression, why would PT Cover drivers be treated any different? If I read it correctly,how can any center be run by just one list each for PT and FT employees??

Last edited:
BTW....you talking about company or job classification seniority??
Well, I was talking about company seniority, but now I am beginning to doubt myself. I have never beed a P/T cover driver but was relying on what some of the P/Ters have said.
Of course our rider may be alot different than your's.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

What region do you drive out of ? Supplement? Upstate NY?

It sounds to me like when you completed 30 days as a PT air driver progression, that is your seniority date amongst p/t air drivers list.
You had a seperate wage progression for a PT cover driver. Then any non-air driving TCD, your seniority date for TCD would apply to any seniority issues there (first day on the road).
Your rate should be 75% of the current package driver rate, which is somewhere around 29.12/hr.