driver resignation

If I gave my resignation, because I thought it was either that or a termination, can I still turn back and instead file a agrievence and try to win my job back? i've already contacted my union rep. What can i do?

browned out

If I gave my resignation, because I thought it was either that or a termination, can I still turn back and instead file a agrievence and try to win my job back? i've already contacted my union rep. What can i do?

A couple thing I know you can do; there may be more. One is if you did not have a union steward there while you resigned; unless you refused; you may be able to get out of it. The second is to use the EAP (Employee Assistance Program) and explain your situation and or circumstances. (Home problems, family problems, alcohol issues or any other number of issues and you can get your job back if you get treatment. good luck

22.34life

sorry to say you are s.o.L,why would you resign instead of leting them terminate you.the only way i could see you doing this is if you were caught stealing.you made a big mistake.

brett636

I would say your chances are slim at best at getting your job back. Your efforts would probably best serve you looking for new employment elsewhere.

UPSGUY72

Why would you resign. How long have you been with UPS ? In that time how many people that got "terminated" truly got fired for good? Probably not many if any. You have to be a total A--H--- over and over and over in order to get fired permantely from UPS.

What did you do that made you resign??

How did you give your resignation in writing or word of mouth? If word of mouth you might be able to get your job back if you signed something go look for another job.

bbsam

Staff member

I resigned instead of being fired because of my continued drug and alcohol use after UPS paid for my stay at a local treatment center. Don't know if getting fired would have eventually allowed me to return to UPS in the future. What I do know is that there is life after UPS. Happy, successful life, I might add.:happy2:

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
It's better to keep it to yourself so you can easily change your mind. Once you document or officially agree ( discipline hearing, local hearing, grievance settlement, etc.) to a resignation it's practically impossible to reverse if they want you gone. There's really no benefit in formally resigning unless there's an agreement that unemployment benefits won't be disputed if you resign.

Future employers will not be given the reason for separation, just the dates of employment and the position held.

bbsam

Staff member
It's better to keep it to yourself so you can easily change your mind. Once you document or officially agree ( discipline hearing, local hearing, grievance settlement, etc.) to a resignation it's practically impossible to reverse if they want you gone. There's really no benefit in formally resigning unless there's an agreement that unemployment benefits won't be disputed if you resign.

Future employers will not be given the reason for separation, just the dates of employment and the position held.
This brings up a question I've always had. After my resignation I eventually went to work for RPS. Soon after being there, another contractor approached me to let me know that he had heard from other UPS drivers the reason for my resignation. He suggested I might have some legal recourse against UPS. I thought the chance slim and quite honestly didn't really care who knew what had happened. Plus I still genuinely like the UPS people I still come into contact with and have never felt disparaged by them in the least. But still the question. While management is prohibited from disclosing such information, what about other employees of the company?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
This brings up a question I've always had. After my resignation I eventually went to work for RPS. Soon after being there, another contractor approached me to let me know that he had heard from other UPS drivers the reason for my resignation. He suggested I might have some legal recourse against UPS. I thought the chance slim and quite honestly didn't really care who knew what had happened. Plus I still genuinely like the UPS people I still come into contact with and have never felt disparaged by them in the least. But still the question. While management is prohibited from disclosing such information, what about other employees of the company?

IT is illegal for a company to leak information regarding a termination or discipline to other employees. I have had this happen with another company in 1999.

bbsam

Staff member
I do believe that after treatment with a hot test you would be gone!
I agree. However, that was not the point of the question. The point, or rather the question was whether the company or it's employees is at liberty to divulge to others outside the company the reason for my separation from the company whether by termination or resignation.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
IT is illegal for a company to leak information regarding a termination or discipline to other employees. I have had this happen with another company in 1999.

It's not criminal offense. There is legal liability for unjustly or inaccurately disclosing information that may hinder future employment or cause financial harm. In some cases the employer is required by law to disclose certain violations and discipline. The ones that come to mind are drug and alcohol abuse for CDL drivers. I'm sure there are other safety related items that must be disclosed depending upon the profession.

You're only recourse against the individual or the company for disclosing information is to sue the company or the individual.

UPSGUY72

it not illegal however if they gave out information that prevented you from getting another job or got you fired from another job. You have a great lawsuit. That is why when company call other about your work history most only say yes you worked there and the dates.

22.34life

i know some people who have went through the sap for drug problems and they tell me that they had to go to the same workmans comp clinic for random drug testing as an injured ups guy.they would run into coworkers they knew and the front desk people at the clinic would announce to the whole room they were there for a random drug test.if this is also the way its done where you worked than you might have legal recourse.i know a guy who is a sap for a very large company and he told me it is illegal for a company to have a person go to the same place as other employees for drug testing.it is a violation of confidentail rights.with all the hippa laws now i would call a lawyer and ask him if thinks you have a case.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
i know some people who have went through the sap for drug problems and they tell me that they had to go to the same workmans comp clinic for random drug testing as an injured ups guy.they would run into coworkers they knew and the front desk people at the clinic would announce to the whole room they were there for a random drug test.if this is also the way its done where you worked than you might have legal recourse.i know a guy who is a sap for a very large company and he told me it is illegal for a company to have a person go to the same place as other employees for drug testing.it is a violation of confidentail rights.with all the hippa laws now i would call a lawyer and ask him if thinks you have a case.

Disclosing the reason the person is sent to the clinic may be a violation of hipaa. Two people going to the same clinic for different reasons is not a violation of hipaa or privacy. If the clinic disclosed the purpose of the visit, the clinic would be in violation.

What ever happened to personal responsibility? A person abuses drugs, gets fired, agrees to free rehabilitation and then sues because their privacy was violated by having to use a public facility??? Seems ridiculous to me to even suggest it.

bbsam

Staff member
I'm not suggesting it. I'm fine with the personal responsibility. It was merely a point of interest otherwise I would have pursued it 17 years ago.