Driver to Pilot

Seymour Packages

Does anyone know of a driver that has became a pilot with the company? Last year, an RPCD at my building resigned to build his flight time at a regional airline and said he was going to reapply to UPS once he had enough flight hours/experience. This was before the pandemic, of course. One guy on the local sort is currently working as a flight instructor. I would imagine in a company as large as this, there has to be a lucky few that made the switch.

ManInBrown

Does anyone know of a driver that has became a pilot with the company? Last year, an RPCD at my building resigned to build his flight time at a regional airline and said he was going to reapply to UPS once he had enough flight hours/experience. This was before the pandemic, of course. One guy on the local sort is currently working as a flight instructor. I would imagine in a company as large as this, there has to be a lucky few that made the switch.
No pilot gets his or her first job at a big airline. You have to cut your teeth somewhere else first. Anyone remember the plane about ten years ago, when the temp was sub zero and it wasn’t de-iced properly and crashed. Came out after the accident that the two pilots on board were making $28,000 each. Nobody gets a their commercial flying cert, and gets hired by United or American or UPS. The only exception is military. I could see a fighter pilot maybe snagging a job like that as their first commercial airline job. The rest start at Crash Airlines flying puddle jumpers.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Preferred Qualifications:

• Bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited college or university
  • Recent and type of experience will be considered; for example, preference given to candidates with demonstrated flight experience in transport category aircraft
    within the last 12 months from date of application
  • Minimum of 1000 hours Pilot in Command (PIC) hours in fixed-wing jet and/or fixed-wing multi-engine turboprop per 14 CFR 1.1 (UPS will allow military candidates to add a plus (.3) per sortie factor to flight time)

Heavy Package

Does anyone know of a driver that has became a pilot with the company?
UPS flight training at Worldport

1610798678915.png

over9five

Staff member
Back in the '97 strike, a pair of pilots joined us on the picket line. One had started as a loader, but I have no idea what he had to do in between loader and pilot.

raceanoncr

Few yrs ago, while loading at our airport, one pilot came out to where we were waiting for cab to hotel. Was BSing bout lots of stuff, he asking how we got to be feeder drivers, how much seniority, etc. He just got on not long ago from other flying experience.

We said we were just waiting for company to put up "Pilot Driving School" list. He never heard of it and asked our seniority again. He even said, "That means you could move ahead of me, right?"

"Yup"

quad decade guy

A fellow driver(CFI also) gave me a plane check out one time. He moonlighted as an instructor building hours. We had a long discussion about all this. His plan was to become a UPS pilot. I have a fellow driver friend(now feeders) that is business jet qualified. He sometimes flies right seat if his schedule permits. He's too old to become a UPS pilot(50's).

Can it be done? You bet!

You won't be a driver or probably an hourly or even an employee but it can be done.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I met a commercial airline pilot a few years back.
He told me that flying for UPS is one of the top jobs in the industry.
The amount of hours of flight time to even have them look at your resume is obscene.

I would assume if you were ever a driver at UPS, you didn't spend enough time flying.
I feel there would be too many absences to even work part time inside.

Whither

Scofflaw
I met a commercial airline pilot a few years back.
He told me that flying for UPS is one of the top jobs in the industry.
The amount of hours of flight time to even have them look at your resume is obscene.
A friend of mine is a pilot who'd eventually love to fly for UPS. He says top scale for UPS pilots is $300/hr.