Driver training class cancelled?

Whywereoff

Our hub HR recently called about 50 people for package car positions because of retirements, understaffing, and area growth. Trainings were proceeding normally until a week ago "corporate" decided to cancel local classes, and send three people at a time to a facility out of state for training. Anyone else run into this issue? I'm not up for training until the first week of December, and have a hard time believing they won't cancel trainings that first week of peak.

fres431

Make sure they get paid travel time, food paid for and mileage when they go! A good ba would get it all paid for. Plus if they travel on sunday that's a work day

Whywereoff

Honestly after working part time for years now I wouldn't care so long as I got lodging and food. The pay would make itself up. I know what they would owe me though, and right now I just don't want them to cancel.

mrbrownstone

You don't get mileage pay. When I went to driving training school 2 years ago I went locally because Integrad in Maryland was full. I am not from that area so I would have had a 2 1/2hr drive to get there. I was told they covering lodging in a hotel is their choice. I'm not sure about meals though.

Anthonysg0113

Honestly after working part time for years now I wouldn't care so long as I got lodging and food. The pay would make itself up. I know what they would owe me though, and right now I just don't want them to cancel.
Yeah I agree, I recoup all the money during peak when I come in at 9:00 pm each night.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Paid for Sunday? Not gonna happen.

Good luck getting paid mileage and paid for the time. It's usually one or the other, unless they are extremely desperate.

Maybe they do things differently in all parts of the country but when I went to driving school in 08' and every driver that has been hired on since has had:
  • Either a rental car; or airfare and a rental car; OR mileage paid if using their own car via the same reimbursement form for food
  • Lodging provided
  • Paid travel time to and from (on a Sunday at straight time)
  • All meals and some incidentals paid for by reimbursement

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I'm thankful we didn't have "driving school" when I started. The supervisor was on the car for four or five days and we were on our own. No jump seats back then either, he just hung on to the hand rail all day.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I'm thankful we didn't have "driving school" when I started. The supervisor was on the car for four or five days and we were on our own. No jump seats back then either, he just hung on to the hand rail all day.
Yeah and they had wooden shelves and that big ass bulkhead door. Thank god some things have changed for the better. Too bad they put a jumpseat in, would be nice to see my supe standing all day while I bumped along those dirt country roads!